Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

we all have a bit different restriction as well as sensation of 'satiety'.

My own post-op first 6 months until my FIRST fill was a period of learning what 'not hungry' was, as much as 'how much can/should I eat'.

Is there an actual 'hunger' that drives you to eat a certain amount, or is this about some kind of nutritional goal of "x-calories" etc?

There's a balance between 'how little can I eat' vs 'if I eat TOO little I will be hungry too soon'.

It helped me to use an on-line calculator. chicken remains one of my 'difficult' foods, even though I'm nearly 7 years post0p.

Before I had any resteiction I portioned out my meals and NEVER ate more even though I wasn't full or satisfied. My Breakfast was and still is a Protein Shake, lunch was and still is tuna pouch with lite mayo and 1/2 apple, dinner was and still is 4 oz tilapia or chicken and 1/4 - 1/2 c veggie. What I'm saying is that I started from the very beginning eating like I was in the green zone. Now that I am I eat the same way. And by the way, I eat an average of 750 - 800 caloriea per day. I would never tell anyone how many calories they should eat because we all have very different metabolisms that are unique to us. Hope this helps.

P.S. We ALL could eat a whole sub if we wanted those first 4 or 5 months but we didn't because we wouldn't lose weight and it would have stretched our bands that we all worked so hard to get.

I was told to eat ounces, not by cups either. I have a Protein Shake in the morning, 4 oz. of broiled fish and 2-3 oz of a veggie (try to stick to green leafy ones like spinach and kale) for lunch and dinner. I haven't had a fill yet, and don't seem to need one right now as I feel very satisfied on this amount of food. I have dropped 42 lbs since my surgery on Oct. 12 and plan to begin exercising next week.

Tulip, the only thing I think I would change is to switch out that potato for a green leafy veggie.

I purchased a digital scale - my best friend!!! I never go over 4 oz. for my Protein. I was told to eat between 50 - 80 grams of protein & no more than 68 grams of carbs.

my doc told me not to eat white things - Pasta, potatoes, rice. i weigh my pasta if I have spaghetti, 1 oz is really a smmmmmall amount!! the carbs are so high that it works for me!

the nutritionist told me to try to eat a protein with at least 10 grams & my sure it is the 1st thing you eat. if you feel satisfied before you finish all the food, you are assured the protein counted!

I was banded on thur 12-8 and I think i am not doing everything right... I drink my Protein Shake and i do it slow.. Later in the day i have a smoothie or some soup... I feel like i eat it too fast and too much.... I ate at about 6 had about 2 cups of soup.... i ate slow but i was so hungry i just kept eating.... I am full now and have that stuck like feeling..... I can only have liquids until dec 23 then i move to puree food...

Do you think i am making my band stretch already????

I was banded on thur 12-8 and I think i am not doing everything right... I drink my Protein shake and i do it slow.. Later in the day i have a smoothie or some Soup... I feel like i eat it too fast and too much.... I ate at about 6 had about 2 cups of soup.... i ate slow but i was so hungry i just kept eating.... I am full now and have that stuck like feeling..... I can only have liquids until dec 23 then i move to puree food...

Do you think i am making my band stretch already????

I don't think you will stretch your band TOO EASILY with liquid, but u shouldn't have to worry about whether it's a possibility...start measuring your food, even if u do eat it slowly. just try your best and remember that sucess is more important that food. i know how u feel, i'm in bandster hell as we speak. today i ate too much too. it's hard but WE CAN DO IT

Looseitbeth, sounds like the 2 c of Soup was too much therefore you have the "stuck" feeling. SAME thing happened to me when I was on liquids. I ate/drank too much soup and had this pressure type feeling in my lower chest. Told my dr about it & he said i ate too much.

OP, while I understand that every person is different and our caloric needs differ as well, i agree with your dr. That seems like a lot of food to me. It would be too much for me. I usually do 2-3 oz of Protein and 1/4 c veggies. That satusfies me and keeps me thaf way for 4-5 hrs.

J

Banded 9/22

I told him that one meal I eat regularly for dinner is this:

three chicken tenderloins in a skillet

small amount of cottage cheese

baked potato

That seems like alot of food to me.... I measure and weigh everything, track my calories and avoid fatty foods. I usually eat 3 oz of meat or fish, 1/2c veggies or salad and 1/4c starch. I stay between 1000 - 1200 calories each day.

If it were me I would sub the cotage cheese for 1/2 veggies or salad (you are getting the Protein in the chicken) and cut the baked potato in half. Not sure how big those tenderloains are but 2-4 oz of meat is more than enough..