Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 5 Post Lap Band Surgery And Really Hungry!!

I had my lap band done 5 days ago and for the first 3 days I couldn't even think about food. But yesterday (Day 4) I started getting hungry and craving anything. I am supposed to be on Clear liquids for 7 days, but yesterday I made myself some Tomato Soup and put extra Water in it to make it really thin. I also get 1 Protein shake per day for the first 7 days. Even though I was really hungry feeling I only drank a little and I was full. Now today my tummy is growling and I am hungry!! I am thinking of starting my thicker liquids today, but just watering them down (like I did the tomato soup). The pain is not as bad as it was and I am actually feeling good, except for being hungry. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Holly

Sounds like you know what to do...I think the watered down Soup is reasonable especially if it is keeping you full for awhile!

it seems like the Protein Shake really works well for your hunger. Maybe give your doctors office a call and see if you can increase the shake to twice a day...or maybe you can add some Protein Powder to your Soup? For me, if I keep my Protein intake to 80-90 grams a day I am never hungry between meals, maybe that will work for you too..

I am going to be banded on Wednesday. Have you tried Organic chicken broth and Miso Soup. Those are Clear Liquids and have plenty of Protein which should help stop the hunger pains. Hopefully.

What you're eating probably won't do any harm, but you have to ask yourself why you chose the band in the first place.

Your doctor gave you a diet for some reason with expectations that you would follow it. These diets are carefully

formed and if you give in to each hunger episode (and there will be plenty), you're going to slow your weight loss.

This journey is difficult, but thousands have done it and you can, too. Hunger will abate in a while if you follow your

diet. I know there are many who have cheated and say there's no difference in weight loss. but we know that can't

be true. I'm having the same problem you are, although I've been banded a while, we haven't cleared all food from

our house and some of it sure looks good at times, but I really want to lose weight, so I deliberately deny myself

some goodies for that reason, and you can too. You went into this knowing just how difficult it would be. Now you

have to grit your teeth and do what you know is right, hard as that may be. In a year, you can be 100lbs lighter

if you can deny yourself now. I know you can do it and best of luck.

Thank you for the suggestions! I have read other posts where people say they are not hungry at all, but I guess everyone is different. I am concerned that I have not lost any weight since my surgery, but have been on liquids since then.

I was also banded 5 days ago and the thing I try to remember when I'm hungry on this liquid phase (and I've been ravenous for 3 days) is that they pounded it into me that the initial diet (clear liquids, thicker liquids, soft food, and finally into solid food) was NOT focused on weight loss but on healing. It is so important that the wounds and stitches heal and the band is properly seated with no adverse stomach activity that could result in a later complication.

So, maybe just keep reminding yourself that you are healing and you don't want to waste the surgery by overdoing it in the beginning. I just keep drinking and drinking and drinking to calm the growling. And I'm trying to keep busy.

Try the Miso Soup and egg drop soup and drink all of your Protein Shake even if you have to do it a bit at a time and make sure you drink lots of Water as much as you can stand your tummy is just ajusting to the amount of food it is getting you will feel better soon and you tummy should shrink a bit and that will help cups of broth work well also to get some of your water in and find things to do that will divert your mind from your tummy good time to take up a hobby like knitting or needlepoint or painting or whatever you like but I think from what I have read here its the drinking that will get your through so keep it with you everywhere and sip sip sip your way through your day.

I will be banded tomorrow and my Dr will be sending me home on full liquid diet. I don't understand how some doctors have people on Clear Liquids and some don't. Why do some people have to be on the pre op diet and some don't.