Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Else Having Trouble With The Holidays and their Lap Band?

I was banded February 8th 2011. I have only lost about 60 lbs since the beginning. It seems to be going much slower than I had thought it would. Since surgery I've had 4 fills, but I honestly can't tell you how many cc's I have. My surgeon is happy with the progress, but I'm very frustrated with it. This has been a battle for me from the beginning, and I very much wish I was one of those lucky folks who have no problems with the band. I'm starting to get discouraged, and have even considered having it taken out. Thanksgiving was miserable for me, and I'm scared that Christmas will be just as bad if not worse. I get really depressed and angry that I can't enjoy the food the way my family does....how do y'all with long term bands handle this? I look forward to hearing from you!!

Thanks

Kelly

I was telling my family at Thanksgiving how I wanted to be able to rip out the dang thing and put it aside just for one day. But in reality, it's just not the way I am anymore. I enjoyed my mini-portion I think more than they did their gorging.

My weight loss is really slow compared to people in my support group. Yesterday, when I went in to get a fill I was dang happy I lost 16 pounds since my fill in June. That's 16 pounds gone that will never come back. I've lost 60 pounds since September of 2010 and I couldn't be more tickled. Don't focus on what isn't happening, but focus on what is. If you remove the band, there's that chance you'll gain that hard 60 back. Good luck to you!

Take care,

Julia

I ate what I wanted, just less of it! I always eat off a small plate, and know just how much I can eat. There are 3 of us with lapband in family of 6 adults. Two of the others need the lapband, too! But, no one gorged themselves this year, it was nice. Try it, you might enjoy it! Karen

I also ate a bit of everything. I ate slider stuff first, like cranberry sauce and yams. Then went to turkey etc, but small portions. But I was full. Later had pumpkin pie. Didn't gain any weight the next day, but I gained 3 ls. On Saturday. Guess I pushed my luck. But I got that off and have lst another 6 lbs since Thanksgiving. All of a sudden I'm losing everyday! Not going to complain.

You have to look at it as not about food anymore and look at all the good 60lbs lost has done for you. I dont miss being a pig anymore or dont think about wanting to eat everything just because its a holiday I think about how lucky I am to have the most amazing husband ever and that by having the surgery it has added years to my life and that I will have that much more time to be with him. You have to stop thinking about food just because its the holdiay and think about how much your family means to you. I wasnt perfect and ate some pie but I wasnt consumed with food and I am two years out. I dont look at food anymore in the same way. I look at it to nourish my body and not because I want it. Your life and mind have to change and not have the attitude that you cant eat like everyone else because when I look at others eat enough for three people it makes me sick.

Amen to what Junior Guru said! Focus on family and friends and everything about the holidays that is NOT about food. I remember my very first Thanksgiving after lap band surgery (I was banded in August 09). It was the first Thanksgiving I ever remember not being so uncomfortably full that I couldn't do anything the rest of the day. I ate more than I normally would and yes I was full, but I didn't need to pass out and take a nap! No turkey coma here! It was wonderful. I enjoyed the rest of the day and even did a little shopping that night. Christmas was the same...indulged a bit but still felt great. I'll never go back to gorging myself at holiday meals. It's just not worth it! And you CAN still enjoy the foods you love, just in smaller doses! It's OK to have a Christmas cookie now and then, or your mom's stuffing (that's one food I couldn't get through the holidays without! LOL!). I also look at how people pile on their plates and it makes me want to puke. How do they even get that much in their stomach?!? You'll find that your mindset will change too. ENJOY the holidays, and take time to remember it's not all about the food! :)

Congratulations Kelly on losing 60 lbs! Everyone loses at a different rate and that's okay. I would love to be one of those fast losers but I figure as long as I am losing weight I'm doing good. I always eat food on a small plate so I did the same on Thanksgiving and plan to do the same for Christmas and for my birthday in January. The key for me is small portions.

I wish you the best!

I too now eat on a small plate and did so for Thanksgiving. I ate a little bit of everything I wanted and loved not feeling overstuffed and lethargic afterward. My family is so behind me, that this year instead of our annual New Years Eve "gorgefest", they have asked me to cook a healthy, fancy dinner instead. I've been planning it for weeks around food I can eat and enjoy.

I had to loosen the band because I was getting dehydrated I don't have medical coverage now because l'm unemployed eleven months so I can't afford to fill I gained back all but five. Lb it's so hard. Harder than eating small portion. I also. feel sick a lot good luck enjoy the things u have when u have them l remember when l just thought l wish to loosen the lapband justfor one day!