Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Need Help Now!!! Pain After Lap Band Surgery

I had my surgery on the 17th November and the surgeon said everything was great. I went home to start recovery and all was going well. I started getting this catch on the left side which made it very painful to sit or stand so when I went back for my follow up she said it was normal and it was the stiches and she gave me some numbing meds(shot) it didn't really do much then the pain moved down lower on the left about 2 inches to the left of my belly button it felt like things were ripping and burning everytime I sit or stood or moved. Alot of crying has been going on. So I went back just this last Thursday. She felt all around and says that it feels normal and she gave me two more shots of course these were in a different spot. It doesn't burn much anymore but It is hard to sit and I can't Bend it feels like there is a large lump deep on the inside that won' t let me and it hurts so bad. I am starting on my three week after surgery and this is hell. I am starting to regret this whole thing. Someone please help is this normal what is going on. I have major surgery before and this is 10 times worse! Any suggestions would be great!

Sincerely,

In so much pain

I believe your stomach is still healing. Don't panic too much. Is this your surgeon that is checking you out? I was banded at the end of August and I get a little pain every now and then. But I know shortly after surgery if I moved wrong there would be some pain. Just remember you are just a little over two weeks out from your surgery. I was told my first week to take it easy and get a lot of rest. Are you very active? If so try relaxing for a few days and see what happens.

Is this in the area of your port? I am thinking that perhaps a nerve got caught up in the placement of the port. So that it is out of place and getting stimulated in the wrong ways when you move.

I am not a medical person. This is just a thought that came to mind.

Awww, I feel so bad for you. I don't know if this is normal or not but I had had 3 c-sections before I was banded and the banding surgery was the worst pain I ever felt. Listen to your body, if it tells you something is wrong, go get help. Maybe a second opinion from a different doctor?? Hope you feel better soon. I know how you feel, I had my surgery sept 28, 2011, and it's a tough recovery, hang in there.

If this doesn't get better. either go back again, and tell them to look at it under Fluoroscope (X-RAY FOR YOUR ORGANS.) She and you will see the full band, tubing, and port.

If anything is wrong,,, it will show up.

If your not Happy with that idea, then go to a Hospital that has Bariatrics involved in the E.R., and they should be able to see what's wrong.

Good Health to you, Shirley.

Thanks everyone! The pain got really bad after I left the house so I ended up in the ER. They took xrays and did a Cat Scan and according to the Dr on Call everything looks fine. No mass, cysts, etc the port that is on my right side and the band itself looks great. However I still hurt like crazy and now I have to wait to see the surgeon until tomorrow. Is it still possible that all of this is still healing. Has anyone had trouble bending over? I am truly wishing I would have never done this. I understand that things take time but I can't even put on my own shoes. Sorry to be so negative I just feel awful and want this to be over.

I was on Pain Killers for 3 weeks. The pain was pretty bad, but I could not bend over to tie my shoes no way !

As long as there is nothing wrong, this should get better for you...

If it keeps it up, (AND I HOPE IT DON'T !) then keep making them run tests, and see if they can find what it is.

But if your Band, Tubing, and Port look Good ! That's a Plus !wink.png I hope you soon start to feel better.

Keep us updated.

Shirley.

Did you also have a hernia repaired? I've seen a trend on here that those that also had hernias repaired seem to experience much higher, longer pain.

I was told not to bend or twist my body for the first 6 weeks after surgery. did they show you how to get up from bed? you really need to be careful while you are healing.

I'm sorry you are feeling so much discomfort. I have some discomfort at my port site, it seemed to stick out so much I thought I must have hurt myself. mine is ok, hope yours is too.

you are still on soft foods or mushies aren't you?