Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frequent Back Pain - 1 Yr Post Lap Band Surgery

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but I had my surgery Dec 17, 2010. I've lost 112 pounds so far and everything has gone great. That is until about 2-3 weeks ago. I haven't had a fill since March but all of a sudden about 6/7 days a week, I'm barely able to eat anything. If I eat a normal 4-6 oz, I start getting back pain anywhere from 15-45 minutes after I've stopped eating. I haven't changed anything in my diet (what I'm eating, how I'm eating, etc.). I've tried everything I can think of to stop the pain - slowing down eating even more (taking a whole hour to eat), eating foods that are normally easier to go down, etc. The only way I don't have pain on these days is if I only take 2-3 bites per meal. I know that there are days when you can eat anything and days when you can't as I've experienced this throughout the year since my surgery but this is getting really frustrating since it's almost every day of the week. Some days it makes me sick and then I got on liquids for a day or two so I don't feel that I'm able to get the nutrients I need. I don't understand why this is happening since it has been so long since I've had a fill and I haven't had any problems up until now. I have my one year checkup with my doctor next week but was hoping someone had some advice or insight into this. I'm incredibly frustrated right now. Thanks!

i wish i could give you advice or tell you something, but i have nothing. My lower back has been hurting so bad as of late, not sure but think it is my bed that is causing the back pain. if i am swollen and i don't chew well enough, i notice alot of shoulder, upper back pain for a little while. i am wondering if you are too tight or swollen. hope it gets better for you.

Hi:

You should see your doctor. Please call and get in or go to the emergency room. Your band should never cause pain after the initial healing period post surgery.

If you still have your gallbladder it could be that.

Take care and please let us know how you're doing.

Sue

Turns out my stomach is swollen. My doctor took the Fluid out of my band to give the swelling time to go down. I feel so much better now!

Crystal

I"ve had this exact same problem. I was banded 10/08/10 and have had nothing but problems..I never have restriction. I was up to 9cc around September when I got sick and oculdn't stop throwing up - that started my downfall. So in and out of the dr for the past two months and result is this past friday I had to have all the Fluid taken out of my band. NOw I am down to zero and my back is killing me. I figured it was bc my stomach is swollen and even though the food could go down it's still limited bc of the swelling. So I am going to stick to liquids, mushies as much as I can. The only time I actually felt better was when I threw up. It's crazy - I bent over and out it came - I was actually relieved but now I have to stop myself from taking the easy way out and puking. So I'm "manning" up and dealing with the pain and will hopefully remember next time to not eat any food until I give myself time to heal!!!

Best of luck and I hope you feel better!!