Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Reflux

Hi all :-)

A few weeks ago I started getting bad reflux at night and whenever I lay down. It doesn't matter if I have a solid dinner (like fish) or a liquid dinner (soup). I've even tried not having any food or liquid within two hours of going to bed, which didn't work. I find that even fluids often seem to sit above the band for ages too. Like I had some cold coffee about 3 hours ago and I can still feel it sitting there :-(. I wake up coughing and regurgitating and often my throat feels so burnt afterwards I find it hard to breathe.

Just wondering does anyone else have or had this problem? My next appointment is on 16.12.11 but I think I might have to try to see him earlier.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :-)

Kirstin

This is on the list of signs of being too tight. I hope your doc gets it figured out so you can get better sleep without all the reflux.

You are definitely too tight. It might just be caused from swelling if you haven't had a fill for a while. Try going on Clear Liquids for a while and see if that helps. Otherwise you need to get a little taken out.

I battled night time reflux for two months before sucking it up and going back to the doctor. I was so tight that when he stuck the needle in he didn't have to draw any liquid out because the pressure on my band forced it out. Yowsers! My doc put me on acid reflux meds and I've been fine ever since. You're probably a little tight, which is aggravating your stomach and in turn aggravating the reflux even more, and making you all sorts of swollen and irritated. Do a day or two of liquids only to calm your stomach, and get some OTC prilosec to hold you over until your next appointment.

Please call your surgeon and make an earlier, emergency apt. You could have or cause a slip! I had a slip and had to have everything removed. 15 months later, I had to have surgery to fix and additional slip! Good luck. Karen

I feel your pain. I had my 5th fill about 4 mths ago and since then, I've had really bad nightime reflux. I started taking some OTC antacids about 8 pm and that helps. I keep my fiance up half the nite coughing. Who knew that coughing was caused by reflux?? Altho I don't think I'm too tight, I think I'm just about right. I need to lose about 9 more lbs. I think I own stock in the Rolaids company - I have a bottle in the bathroom, next to my bed and in my purse. I chew them all day. I figure if this is all I have to complain about with a size 6 jeans, then so be it.

Good luck!

Marci

Night coughing and night reflux are sure signs of being too tight. It can do some pretty bad damage to your esophagus and to your teeth.

I didn't think I was too tight either when I was having bad reflux. I could eat normally, but was having food come up hours after eating. Not normal! If you're taking rolaids like candy (just like I was), you need to 1. get on prescription acid reflux meds and 2. get a small unfill. Even .2 cc's can make a world of difference! You shouldn't have to endure horrible reflux!

Thanks guys!

Strange how it took several weeks after my last fill for this to happen! I was a bit worried that the band may have eroded or something, but apparently when that happens you normally stop loosing weight or even start gaining, but I'm still loosing weight.

I was too tight once before to the point I was living on a few sips of full coke and about 100g of drinking yoghurt a day for a week! When I went back he could tell I was too tight as soon as he tried to take some Fluid out, because he said he could feel the pressure. Lol he only took out .2ml but it's amazing what a difference it made! I went home and got out a baby medicine dropper to see how much Fluid that was. It wasn't even 10 drops! :-O

It's a good feeling. I had to do the same

This sounds exactly like what I'm going through right now. I haven't had a fill since January and it was just .25cc but for the last month I've had reflux almost every night. I take prescription reflux meds in the morning. I think I'm going to switch that to evening. That's the only reflux med I take. I don't want to get an unfill but this is weird. It's such a relief to hear that other people go through the same thing. Thanks.

Go get a slight unfill! Or atleast visit your doc for a barium swallow and see what they suggest. Because the longer you wait the worse it gets and all its doing is inflamming your band. I just went threw this was stubborn and didnt go in amd it ended up si swollen and inflammed I couldnt swallow my own spit and I ended up almost chokin to death in my sleep not to mention totalky dehydrated

Go get a slight unfill! Or atleast visit your doc for a barium swallow and see what they suggest. Because the longer you wait the worse it gets and all its doing is inflamming your band. I just went threw this was stubborn and didnt go in amd it ended up si swollen and inflammed I couldnt swallow my own spit and I ended up almost chokin to death in my sleep not to mention totalky dehydrated

After getting an unfill 6 mos. ago, My Dr. insisted that I get a small fill 6 weeks after. Againgst my better judement I did what I was told and again, the caughing started, the reflux was bad, and I had cricks in my neck due to being propped too high on pillows. I tried to deal with it for a couple of months before going back for unfill again. My Dr. said that he believed that I am where I needed to be and wouldn't give me an unfill. He said that he was soon leaving and maybe the new surgeon would :-(. Anyway, after his departure 6 weeks later I went back and had 5cc removed. Feeling much better now and may have to be converted :-(