Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help With Hair Loss, Teeth Discoloring, & No Weight Loss After 1 Year With Lap Band

I don't know if I'm not getting enough Protein or it's the throwing up, but my teeth are turning blackish and my hair is still falling out. They keep saying eat meats. I can only eat fish I can't hold down anything else. I have pearly white teeth and this is a hard price to pay especially since I haven't lost any weight in over 4 months. I'm almost to my year mark. I started at 236 and am 173, but not happy. I have lost more weight on diets in the past. I'm still throwing up at anything heavy I eat or anytime I eat in in the early hours of the day. I am also working out like crazy and am not even losing inches. Any suggestions?

You need to have a Dentist look at your teeth.

I've been taking Biotin for hair loss... I think it's making a big difference.

In regard to not losing weight... and still working out like crazy. Could be your not eating enough and your body is going into starvation mode. I've had this problem too. Seems when I NOT eating... I don't lose. To me it's very weird, but true. Try to increase your calories to be at least 800 - 1200 per day and WRITE down everything you put in your mouth. I use my android and have an AP that is pretty cool. Let's me also log my workouts. Also, limiting your carbs will help.

Keep us posted.

Thank you. I can't hold down much and haven't been able to the entire time. I want to go to the dentist but my husband lost his job and he won't have insurance until May. I read somewhere not to brush after I throw up. I'm going to increase my protien shakes.< /p>

You sound like you might be too tight and would do well with a slight unfill...from what you wrote, you sound definitely in the red zone

I agree with that completely !

I ended up in the Red Zone, and do to all the throwing up, you end up more swollen.

The more swollen you are, the better chance of getting stuck, and throwing up again.

It's a Merry-go-round that you want off of.

The starvation thing is so true. Now that I am 1/2 unfilled, I manage my calories at around 1000-1200 a day. With the working out, I am getting smaller. So Yes it's true.

Manage your calorie, and Protein intake on myfitnesspal.com it's free, and it helps.

Finally see a Dentist.

Definitely do Protein Shakes.< /p>

Thank you. I can't hold down much and haven't been able to the entire time. I want to go to the dentist but my husband lost his job and he won't have insurance until May. I read somewhere not to brush after I throw up. I'm going to increase my protien shakes.

It's better to rinse with baking soda Water after you throw up rather than brushing. This will help neutralize the acids, but you will still have at least a 20 min. acid attack on your teeth every time you throw up or have acid reflux even with the baking soda.

I had a fill 3 days ago and the nurse practioner said "If you can't eat solid Protein and veggies/fruit at every meal; you are TOO TIGHT". Sounds like you need a slight unfill. I am a year out and knock on wood I have never vomited, frothed or slimmed.

In August they let it out because my stomach and esophagus were swollen. As soon as it went down they said I needed to be tightened. meat wise I can only eat fish. I am always hungry I just can't hold down most solids unless it is later in the day. I can't eat any solids for Breakfast or lunch. Thanksgiving was awlful. I took 2 bites of turkey and got sick. I seriously feel like I ate healther before the surgey. My doctor said I'm doing great, but I haven't lost a single pound in 4 months. I have 40 more pounds to go before my goal and 20 before I was the weight I was 3 years ago. I want to get this off before January when I start paying for my fills. I just don't want this at the cost of my teeth. I paid around $10,000 for jaw surgery for an under bite and braces about 5 years ago and don't want my teeth getting decayed.

I would have them fill or in your case unfill (this works both ways !) while sitting up or standing up.

Have a glass of Water while they unfill you. When the water drops threw easily, that's enough of a unfil. tell them to stop.

You can always go back eventually and Pay for a fill. I would wait for a while though, and see if you enjoy having breakfast, lunch, and not throwing up.

Per what everyone else is saying:

You are too tight. If you can't eat solids by lunch and are throwing up more than once a week (we all take bigger bites sometimes) then you are too tight. Get half of your last fill taken out.

Your teeth are changing because of the vomiting and lack of nutrition. You will need to see a dentist to get that addressed - if you can't go for a few months do four things: 1) sign up for Groupon wherever you are, they often have dentist deals 2) use sensodyne whitening toothpaste and brush three times a day and floss but never brush after throwing up for at least 30 minutes 3) after throwing up rinse with Water only, generally you won't get much stomach acid with the band, more food from the pouch 4) start taking Prilosec OTC (you can use the generic too) and take that until you get to see a dentist because it will reduce the amount of acid you are producing to reduce the negative impact on your teeth.

The biggest thing is to go get a partial unfill. Fills are expensive. I've paid for mine since day 1 and they cost me between $280-560 each time. But being too full has much greater consequences (band slip, swollen stomach and esophagus, teeth issues, band erosion, etc.).

Once you get the unfill go back to your post surgery diet. Two to four days of liquids, two to four days of mushies, two to four days of soft food, then start with the normal food. That will give your system time to settle down.

You'll get through it, due to issues I've had I've stalled with weight loss as well.

You may also want to fit in a blood test and get your ANA level checked specifically. If it's elevated you may have Lupus - which can cause weight gain, hair loss, changes in teeth, and more.

I should start by telling you I am a dental hygienist and have been for many years. No matter what part of your digestive system the vomit comes from, it is highly acidic and can do some severe damage to your teeth and esophagus. When you are throwing up so often, there could be some pretty bad things going on. When the enamel is gone from erosion, it will never come back. No toothpaste in the world will bring it back. I would tell any patient with the problems you are having to stay away from anything that says "whitening".

Many people have found that paying for dental insurance is more expensive than self pay. I don't know what type of plan you will have, but the wait may cost you more damage to your teeth. I don't know what to tell you without looking at your teeth. I can give you basic/general advise as a dental hygienist and as a fellow bandster. You should be able to go talk to your dentist about it for around $45.