Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How To Deal With Lap Band Haters?

So, I've been on this journey so far since July (1st appt. with my dr.) I told most of my close co-workers, hoping to find support from them. I thought that I had it, but obviously not (especially from the over-weight co-workers). Example: the other day while sitting in the break room, a very slim, petite co-worker asked me when my surgery was and I told her Dec. 13th. She was very excited, supportive, and sincere with her well wishes. Sitting in the corner was another co-worker who is even more overweight than myself and to my surprise she said "So! I'm gonna bring everything food imaginable, that you shouldn't eat and sit it right in front of your face." I was so surprised. I said, "Wow, thanks for being so supportive." We had previously talked and she was even considering getting banded but never followed through. I know that I can't make people be supportive of my decision, but how do I handle these types of situations. It just seems to me that she is miserable in her life and doesn't want to be happy for me and the changes that I've decided to make in my life. I can only imagine the comments that I will get once I'm banded and start losing weight. I know that I shouldn't let this bother me but it does.

Has anyone else had a similar situation? How did you deal with it?

It's really none of their business, but just explain that you were worried about your health and decided to do

something about it.

WOW....you know what I did. I am so tired of my co-workers asking me every day if I have lost weight. (i mean I dont weigh in everyday hello?) They are all very overweight as well. One day my co-worker went and bought mcdonalds. When she started eating it I looked at her and smiled and said....WOW you wanna know how many calories are in that? I figure if they wanna watch what I eat and ask about it maybe I should do the same

I probably should not have done this but I was frustrated. She just laughed, I guess she was hungry and didnt care lol

I agree more with Corrigan though. Just tell them you had personal reasons for doing this.

Just ignore people like that. Sometimes silence can work wonders.

OMG! I'm afraid I would not have been very kind in my reply to someone that said that to me!! Not being supportive or agreeing with my choice is one thing, but being a complete asshat is another!! Wow. The things some people think are acceptable to say outloud whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

The next time she says something rude to you just tell her " I have my reasons for getting strong and being at a healthy weight,just as you have your reasons for being unhealthy and being overweight!"That should shut her up! I would'nt normaly encourage that kind of response, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire !!

Just ignore people like that. Sometimes silence can work wonders.

I agree, you can't really change who people are or how they act. Success is the best revenge. Keep your eye on the prize.

the smart butt in me would have said to her "well, good for you, then you will continue to be fat and unhealthy." but the nice person that i am, would have just looked at her and said "that is just so sad". :)

don't mind others, they are either ignorant about the band, or just so jealous that you are doing something about your weight and can do something. i have one person i work with who is kind of negative, but doesn't say much since i smarted off to her after a nasty comment. the rest are so supportive and always want to know how i am doing and how great i look and how proud they are of me.

Comments like your co-worker made are normally born out of jealousy and seeing other people fail is what motivates them to keep failing themselves. I just smile and walk away, you are walking away from negativity by changing your life, so dont join them there :)

"Aww, you would really do that to yourself, just to get to me?" - ultimately your coworker might realise that sabotaging THEMSELF actually has no bearing on your decisions or your weight loss.

The other posters above pretty much got what I wanted to say, but I've got a good one if she makes that comment again.

"That's cool. I'll be full anyway with the band. If that pure jealously doesn't clog up your arteries, that hamburger sure will!"

That seriously would be so good. Haha. not_ripe.gif

"That's really nice of you. I would offer to save you all of my fat clothes as I shrink out of them but I'm afraid they'll be too small for you?"

I decided to only tell my family and very close friends, however I did not tell my best friend. Yes,I know. You see we were both big girls. One of her other friends had it and all she had to say was negative things about it. I wanted the surgery, but really did allow her views about the surgery get in my way. Finally enough was enough and I had it. I feel like kicking myself, I should have done it sooner. Yes this caused a rift in our friendship, but I am the most important person in my life and I had to do what was best for me. As for co-worker, I only told the school nurse. When people know you had the surgery they watch you like a hawk you don't need that in your life. There will be platueas and the haters will point things like that out just to be able to say I told you so. It really is non of their business. If anybody ask you how your lossing tell them its hcg.

I don't plan on telling anyone at work. If anyone asks why I am out, I'll make up something else. Let them wonder why I am loosing so much weight!