Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain: Lap Band Surgery Vs C-section??

I know everyone's experiences are different, but I'm curious as to how people that have had cesarean sections would rate their post op pain? I have had two c-sections and recovered like it was a piece of cake. By one week post-op, I was back to normal and pain free. I only took my pain meds for a few days. Certainly it was not a pain free experience, but I tolerated it easily. I get that the surgeries are completely different, but I'm crossing my fingers that this surgery will be as tolerable as those were. I would guess that I have a high tolerance for pain. I'm guessing that plays a huge part in people's differing experiences. So I am curious, those of you that had both surgeries: what were your experiences like and how were they in relation to each other? Did your c-sections cause you immense pain, or were they easier to recover from? How were they in relation to your experience with the lap band surgery? (does that make sense?)

C-Sections are much worse. I recovered from my c-section in about a week as well. After lap band I was out shopping the next day! :)

Hi there! I too had a c-section and recovered quickly with minimal pain medication - and I do not have a high pain tolerance :). The shoulder pain I experienced the first 3-4 days was horrible. I had zero pain in my abdomen. The shoulder pain comes from the gas used to inflate your stomach for surgery, in addition to, a hernia repair. Along with your liquid pain medication, get some gas-x strips and a heating pad and you'll do just fine! Good luck!

Kelli

I had a C section and the gas pains in my shoulder were worse than the post op pain from the c section. Good luck.

DITTO to what KBaum said.

My C-section....HORRIBLE. Lapband...easy as pie :)

I have had many surgeries....gall bladder, kidney stone removal, bladder, both feet, breast lift, Tummy Tuck and c-section..Lap Band by far has been the easiest, least painful, most exciting and worthwhile!!

I had surgery on a Wednesday and was back to work at the bank on Saturday. I do wish I would have taken at least one more day off, that was a VERY long day!

Oh by far the lapband was the easiest...I was suppose to stay 2 days at the hospital, but I was up and walking around the next day including walking up and down hospital stairs, so they let me go home. The gas and shoulder pain was the worst for me, but it only lasted 2 days and I am a baby when it comes to pain.

I had 2 c-sections and they were by far much easier for me to recover from than my lap band surgery. I needed stronger pain meds for a longer time after the lap band. I was up and running within a week of the sections...unfortunately for me it took me several weeks after the lap band to feel good.

I had five csections and I would say my pain from the lapband was worse csection up and back and forth to the nicu everyday,not painful enough for meds though.

Lapband was easier for me.

Cheri

I also had 2 C-Sections. The first one was pretty miserable. The second one was better. In comparison, lap band was a cake walk!

My only surgeries have been 2 csections and lapband.

My first csection was horrid. My second was ok. The lapband surgery was different. I wouldnt say worse, or better. Its hard to compare the 2 bc with lb theres no newborn to take care of. Lol. The most pain part of lb surgery for me was the gas.

I never had a C-Section, but I have had Numerous surgeries,

When they did the band, they dug out, and sealed a Hernia the size of a fist, and removed the Lymph Nodes from the Groin Area. Then he did the Band.

The Band was a walk in the Park, My Groin Area was Extremely Painful even through Morphine,

and they don't call them a Hernia for nothing. this was the 3rd repair on a Ventricle Hernia, and it Hurt.

That was just for 1 day, I'm not about to list the rest. The Band was the easiest though.

Different pains.

3 c-sections, first one being an emergency, hurt pretty bad. Left a 4 inch vertical scar. Each one was on a Wednesday and was back in church on Sunday. 3rd was the easiest of course.

Gall bladder removal after 3rd c-section, thought I was going to die, the pain was so much worse. Expected it to be a walk in the park but was out of work for a week.

Lapband surgery with hernia removal, not too bad. Went to a funeral the day after, and drove myself 2 days after surgery to get a pedicure....Worse part was getting from sitting to standing, felt like my insides were busting out. Didn't take the pain meds after I got home, couldn't stand the taste.

Hands down, lap band surgery was a piece of cake in regards to pain and recovery. Had I been working, I'd be back to work within a day or so. I'm a teacher and had surgery in June. Surgery on Monday, probably would have tried to go back Wednesday once I was cleared to drive. Glad I didn't have to go back though :)

I too have had many surgeries..2 c-sections PAINFUL and took weeks to heal. then i had a gull bladder that the incision goes accross my whole body was in the hospitial for 3 weeks with that. total hystoectomy emergency and that took 2 months to heal... so when my family heard i was chosing to go thru this they were scared to death... my pastor even talked to me ... i was in there for 2 days only because my bp was way out of control but besides the gas pain in the shoulder area i was fine... gas x for the tounge and I was good to go .... almost one year out and I would do it again in a heart beat !!

I thought the pain was similar in the getting up and down from sitting/laying down positions. As you know everyone's experiences are different. I had no gas pains from lap band but it took me a lot longer to feel back to normal. I was finally feeling 'normal' after about 3 weeks. It only took me a couple when I had the c-section and I didn't have babies to take care of because my twins were in NICU for 3 weeks. Good luck!