Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Spent A Month With My Lap Band Unfilled

A month ago my doctor added 1 more cc for a total of 4 cc's. I had a reaction and swelled shut, causing a 14 hour episode of vomiting 3 or 4 times an hour until the doctor completely removed everything. Now, this was the first time I had been unfilled since 3 weeks after my surgery. I expected to be able to eat anything, and I was pretty much able to. However, I did get stuck on a piece of bread and I was not able to eat as much as I did before the surgery.

Yesterday I went back to get refilled. I was fearful of getting on the scale, but I had only put on 3/4 of a pound. The doctor this time only gave me 2.5 cc's, so I am not even back to where I was before the second fill. Of course, being on Clear liquids since yesterday, I have suddenly dropped 5 pounds again.

Wow! It had to be frightening throwing up that much. I wonder why you had such a reaction? Did the doctor explain it? Sounds like you're back on track now, and have a new lease on everything. I've only had one fill - 1 cc.

Keep us all posted on how things do this time.

When I was banded my surgeon filled the band and then unfilled it and I haven't had a fill yet but have lost

over 50 lbs in 9 weeks and have no problems with hunger. I have no idea why, just lucky I guess.

Are you unduly hungry?

I was definitely "dieting" at 3cc's, yet I would still get stuck at the most unexpected times. Sometimes it seemed that I could eat anything I wanted, other times, expecially mornings, I could eat almost nothing. Do I think it decreased my hunger? Well, going unfilled and allowing myself to eat everything I wanted still only put on less than a pound in a month, so it must be doing something. I was losing a pound or so a week, which is a good rate with my fill.

I unfilled my band completely in October last year for cancer surgery and chemotherapy and I had very little trouble with weight gain. I really have patted myself on the back for a job well done, loudly and publicly, lol, but in truth, on reflection I think I had some assistance, what with being so sick. I remained unfilled for seven months and gradually over the last five have refilled my band up to decent restriction (althoug h I've not found the sort of restriction I had before, I've got what I can live with, thanfully as my band is 0.2cc from full). I found it very easy at first, I still couldnt eat a lot, and stuck to very small meals and healthy foods. It took months for my appetite to expand, I began to notice that dinner would leave me wanting, becuase I always restricted through willpower what I ate between meals fill or no fill. That sort of head hunger stuff was just the same. I kept running and going to the gym right through treatment. But I did gradually begin to eat more. Now with fill going back in, I dont feel any "different" like I was expecting to, but my meals are much smaller again. I might feel the same, thinking I had toast for Breakfast, but then I realise that once again, the idea of two pieces of toast like normal people eat is like a major pig out, absolutely excessive and I realise yes, that restriction is there. Restriction really isnt a tangible thing that you can feel, it just subtly changes how much you eat, and you have to listen hard for it, and ignore the head hunger - that isnt real hunger. But its interesting to see what its like when restriction has gone isnt it? I think it has made me a better bandster, I kind of needed a kick in the pants after six years.

Sounds like you were in your green zone but didn't realise it.

I was there, then got a fill - was over filled for two months, vomiting constantly but couldn't get an unfill because of insurance billing issues. Finally got an unfill and realised I was in the green zone.

When you are in the green zone as little as 0.1 cc can put you into the red zone.

Go back to the normal liquids, mushies, soft, then back to normal and stay there for a while then go back if you need to. You probably won't need to because you'll be more conscious about what you're eating but if you do need a fill do a tiny one 0.2 cc or so and ask them to do it under fluoroscopy and do a barium swallow so they can see the Fluid moving through the band so you don't get overfilled.