Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone been overweight their ENTIRE life?

Hi Kellysue,

I've been told my Grandparents used to ask my parents "Aren't you feeding this kid?". I was apparently skinny little bag of bones when I was very young. Since I had my tonsils removed all hell broke loose. I am 44 and have been overweight since I was about 10 years old. I can remember being weighed in phys ed class in 5th or 6th grade and got teased because I weighed in at 150lbs. I have very vivid memories of this because I was also teased because of my man boobs or back then boy boobs.

I would definitely say yes to being over weight my whole life. In 2003 I tried Atkins diet. I weighed in at 394 and I went on to lose 174 pounds in 19 months. With all diets though I got to comfortable in my new skin and started enjoying food again and all the weight and then some went back on. I weighed in yesterday at 463. I still sometimes get angry with myself for not being stronger and more disciplined for allowing myself to pack it all back on.

I have not been banded yet but I am hoping to some day and hope that the restriction from the band will help keep my weight in check for the rest of my life. I am utilizing support groups as well and plan to do that long term.

Losing for me is not so much the battle its keeping it off.

I was a tiny baby, only 5lbs 3 oz at birth and was skinny until I hit about 6 years old. Then I balooned up. When I hit 6th grade I was 130lbs so I went on my first diet, WW's and lost 20 lbs and got down to 110. That was short lived and I spend the rest of middle school through 11th grade overweight. The summer prior to my senior year I had enough of being fat, I was 220 lbs. I went back to WW and lost 40 lbs. I got down to 180lbs (my lowest weight ever as an adult) and kept it off for 2 years but then gained it back. I stayed at 212lbs for several years then got pregnant with my daughter and balooned to 272 (my highest weight ever). After I had her I dropped almost immediately to 230 and have went back and forth between 230 and 242 ever since. I had enough this past summer, I was so miserable i couldn't stand it and that's when I decided to get the band (I am a self pay). Let me tell you, it was the best $16,500 I've ever spent. I know I will get to my goal of 155. We can all do this, we do not have to live like this anymore :)

I really appreciate all the stories. So many of us had the same childhood.

Its also helpful for me- I am doing my 'pre-consultation history' (can NOT remember years to save my life but...) helping to nudge those old forgotten memories....and move me forward.

if we all had a dollar for the "today I will lose weight, start exercising, this week will be MY year, this month, this year, NEXT year, THIS birthday, I'll show THEM...." would be all put Bill Gates to shame?

I remember being sent home from kindergarten with a not that threaten to lock my mother up for child abuse if I didn't lose weight, So, the answer is yes.

I remember being sent home from kindergarten with a not that threaten to lock my mother up for child abuse if I didn't lose weight, So, the answer is yes.

Oh my gosh! That's so horrible!!!

i have been fat sense kindergarten i was always the tallest and heviest! i only remember being able to shop at the mall 1 time in my life. and it was hard to find clothes. although i was never really mentally abused by my piers it was still hard to be the biggest girl in the cheerleading squad or the big girl with the pretty face. one time in middle school i hurd a bunch of guys behind me saying that i would be hot as hell if i was skinny. back then i was probably tipping the scale at 200 then high school came and i weighed around 260-280 had lots of friends partied alot and had a great time. then my senior year i fell in love with my now 4year fiance and all my friends dissapeard i got real depressed about loosing life long friends and not to mention comfortable with the fact of having a boyfriend i started to gain weight then i got my first job at mcdonalds the obsese capital of america! and went to school during the day and went to work at night not to mention i have always had a bad habbit of not eating all day then pigging out at dinner. well anyways i would not eat all day then get off at work at around 12am-1am and it was just much easier to get dinner at fast food then going home and actually having to cook. soo now i am at a whopping 365 and misserable as hell and i am new to lapband and still trying to figure out how to get this ball rolling. you people inspire me that i will be the thin girl i wanted to be my whole life!!!

sincerly, future skinny b***h! lol

I was a solid toddler - not fat but not particularly petite either. I know by the time I was 7yo I was getting chunky, and when I was 10 I passed 60kg (132lbs). At that point, I was definitely overweight and have never been a "normal" weight since. The lightest I have been was 5 years ago - I was exercising 21 hours a week and doing Jenny Craig, and I lost a lot of weight, but I got stuck at 72kg (158lbs). For my height, in order to be "healthy" weight, I had to get under 69kg (152lbs). I tried and tried and tried and I just could NOT get under 72kg. I was stuck there for 5 months before I got pregnant and put on over 30kg (66lbs)... And I hardly lost any of it.

I have been overweight my entire life. Fat baby fat toddler kid pre teen teen young adult now adult I am tired of it. I'm doing the band o finally get the weight under control and give me a sense of fitting in better in all aspects of my life.

Except for 5 minutes in the 90s I have been over weight my entire life. And even then I was 13 lbs over what the "chart" says normal is for me. I am 51 years old so I have seen highs and lows, I have lost hundreds and gained hundreds pounds over the course of my lifetime as my first diet (weight watchers with mom) was at age 12!

Certanly there have been highs and lows and in looking back I can actually recall the that even when I dieted I never stayed thin...which is way the lapband was the best choice for me. I can lose the weight...but after 6 months of dieting I would get board with whatever plan I was on and resume eating the way I did before I started the diet. And the weight creeped back on.

My highest weight was 377....exactly 362 days ago. Thats the day I started the pre surgery liquid.... This morning I am at 237....140 lbs is gone.....77 more to go to get to what I believe is a good weight for me as I stand 5'9. Of course that number hasnt been seen since 8th grade I think....but we'll see.

in 1997 I was the weight I was today so it took 14 yrs for me to pack on an extra 140 lbs.... and keep in mind there were several good 40-60 lbs dieting efforts in that time.... but it all came back

Thankfully those days are now gone forever thanks to my band. :)

I started putting weight at age 8. when i was around 12 i was thin, but told i was heavy. so i started putting on weight. now i am 300+ lbs & 42 yrs old. i lose weight than goes right back on. i fail at maitance.

also it seems like when it's that time i can't stop eating.

so i have starting looking into lapband. have that physical reminder about eating.

also has anyone has a personal trainer w/ nutrition? there are 2 gyms here doing that now, was thinking of doing that.