Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do I have to drink protein shakes?

OK seriously, I can't find any I like. I have the powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury and the taste is great, but the smell is horrible. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to smells. Like seriously, I should be studied. It's that bad. Smell determines EVERYTHING for me, even my mood. I know I am weird. All of these Protein Shakes have that Protein smell or whatever it is and I can't stand it. The smell makes me nauseous. I almost threw up earlier, not because I was drinking too fast or had the wrong thing, but because of the smell. I am still nauseous from it. Honestly, if this is how this is going to be, I have to find an alternative to these Protein shakes. I understand the importance of protein, but is there any way around this? Ive spent a lot of money trying different kinds and can't find anything. I even spent $70 on unflavored so I could put it in food. I can still smell it!!!

Help!!!!

Premier Brand Ready to Drink (found at Costco) tastes good and I have never noticed a smell.

Premier Brand Ready to Drink (found at Costco) tastes good and I have never noticed a smell.

I am ok if it's something familiar, but if it's vitaminey or something else foreign, I can't do it.

I also ahted the Protein shakes-really disgusting except GNCs Total Lean pre-made shakes (choc.). I actually loved this shake because it was thinner and I didn't have to mix anything. They are pricey, but for me its worth it!

After a certain point post op you will be needingto get your portions in solid form. Depending where you are along the process you can eat foods that have higher Protein counts.

Here are some guidelines:

Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein.

Beef

• Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
  • Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
  • Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

chicken

• Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
  • Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
  • Drumstick – 11 grams
  • Wing – 6 grams
  • Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

• Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
  • Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

• Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
  • Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
  • Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
  • Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
  • Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
  • Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

eggs and Dairy

• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
  • Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
  • Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
  • Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
  • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
  • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
  • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
  • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
  • Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
  • Most Beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
  • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
  • Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

• Peanut Butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
  • Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
  • Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
  • Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
  • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
  • pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

Have you tried putting in a cup with a lid, like a travel coffee mug, so the smell is blocked? One of my variations is to add orange extract to the vanilla powder - when I make that flavor, I smell the orange rather than the Protein.< /p>

I also ahted the Protein shakes-really disgusting except GNCs Total Lean pre-made shakes (choc.). I actually loved this shake because it was thinner and I didn't have to mix anything. They are pricey, but for me its worth it!

After a certain point post op you will be needingto get your portions in solid form. Depending where you are along the process you can eat foods that have higher Protein counts.

Here are some guidelines:

Shortcut: An ounce of meat or fish has approximately 7 grams of protein.

Beef

• Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
  • Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
  • Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

chicken

• Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
  • Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
  • Drumstick – 11 grams
  • Wing – 6 grams
  • Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish

• Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
  • Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork

• Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
  • Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
  • Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
  • Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
  • Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
  • Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

eggs and Dairy

• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
  • Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
  • Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
  • Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
  • Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
  • Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
  • Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)

• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
  • Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
  • Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
  • Most Beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams protein per half cup of cooked beans
  • Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
  • Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds

• Peanut Butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
  • Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
  • Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
  • Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
  • Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
  • Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
  • Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

OK so I will eventually not have to drink this crap.

Do you like Flavors ?

Like Cookies N creme, chocolate Milk, strawberry Milkshake, Vanilla Creme, chocolate Peanut Butter.

These are what I keep on hand in Muscle Milk Light.

You can mix fresh fruit in the Blender with the shakes, and thicken them up a bit. Like fresh Strawberries with the strawberry Milkshake. Or add a scoop of Peanut Butter to the Chocolate Peanut Butter, not that you have to the flavor is there...

You can add anything to the Vanilla Creme or Chocolate Milk..

You should ask your Dr. that question, but these are good for you, and low in calories, so that's a plus.

I have a site that I belong to AllStarHealth.com These jugs are under $20.00 that's cheap !

Shipping is $5.95 for whatever you order.

Those are the best flavors that I know of, the Cake Batter I never tried yet. But I hear it's good.

Good Luck on your Research. If you need to get in touch, you can always pm me.

Shirley.

Have you tried putting in a cup with a lid, like a travel coffee mug, so the smell is blocked? One of my variations is to add orange extract to the vanilla powder - when I make that flavor, I smell the orange rather than the Protein.< /p>

I did try that today, still smell. I seriously have the smell receptors of a drug dog. RIDICULOUS.

Good idea with the orange. I read online to try orange juice with the unflavored, but that seems like alot of sugar. I dunno.

Do you like Flavors ?

Like Cookies N creme, chocolate Milk, strawberry Milkshake, Vanilla Creme, chocolate Peanut Butter.

These are what I keep on hand in Muscle Milk Light.

You can mix fresh fruit in the Blender with the shakes, and thicken them up a bit. Like fresh Strawberries with the strawberry Milkshake. Or add a scoop of Peanut Butter to the Chocolate Peanut Butter, not that you have to the flavor is there...

You can add anything to the Vanilla Creme or Chocolate Milk..

You should ask your Dr. that question, but these are good for you, and low in calories, so that's a plus.

I have a site that I belong to AllStarHealth.com These jugs are under $20.00 that's cheap !

Shipping is $5.95 for whatever you order.

Those are the best flavors that I know of, the Cake Batter I never tried yet. But I hear it's good.

Good Luck on your Research. If you need to get in touch, you can always pm me.

Shirley.

Thanks!

The unjury I have now is chocolate and it's really great tasting, but I can't get past the smell. If it smelled like chocolate milk, it would be ok.

Thanks!

The unjury I have now is chocolate and it's really great tasting, but I can't get past the smell. If it smelled like chocolate milk, it would be ok.

It tastes like it too...

Do you like any of the Carnation Instant Breakfast flavors? If so, mix one of those and add powdered dry milk. I think it's like 1/3 cup of dry milk to 1 cup of regular milk (or water) and that makes it have the Protein of milk.

When I am out of my Protein Powder (Ideal chocolate Milk diet), or when I am bored with chocolate flavor, I will mix up a packet of CIB plus 1/3 cup powdered dry milk plus my milk, and it keeps me full until lunchtime.

I feel your pain. I hate ALL of them. The taste, smell & consistency. I have ordered online and stalked the GNC store and still..nothing I can even ALMOST like.

OK seriously, I can't find any I like. I have the unjury and the taste is great, but the smell is horrible. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to smells. Like seriously, I should be studied. It's that bad. Smell determines EVERYTHING for me, even my mood. I know I am weird. All of these Protein shakes have that Protein smell or whatever it is and I can't stand it. The smell makes me nauseous. I almost threw up earlier, not because I was drinking too fast or had the wrong thing, but because of the smell. I am still nauseous from it. Honestly, if this is how this is going to be, I have to find an alternative to these Protein Shakes. I understand the importance of protein, but is there any way around this? Ive spent a lot of money trying different kinds and can't find anything. I even spent $70 on unflavored so I could put it in food. I can still smell it!!!

Help!!!!

OK seriously, I can't find any I like. I have the unjury and the taste is great, but the smell is horrible. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to smells. Like seriously, I should be studied. It's that bad. Smell determines EVERYTHING for me, even my mood. I know I am weird. All of these Protein shakes have that Protein smell or whatever it is and I can't stand it. The smell makes me nauseous. I almost threw up earlier, not because I was drinking too fast or had the wrong thing, but because of the smell. I am still nauseous from it. Honestly, if this is how this is going to be, I have to find an alternative to these Protein Shakes. I understand the importance of protein, but is there any way around this? Ive spent a lot of money trying different kinds and can't find anything. I even spent $70 on unflavored so I could put it in food. I can still smell it!!!

Help!!!!

does seem an unusual problem :) i wracked my brains and came up with with 2 suggestions, either try drinking the protien shake from a bottle with a sport cap ( u know the bottles with nozzles on) as that way your nose will have very little interaction with the drink, or try a small drop of something like almond oil vanilla essence near your nose and mask the smell with another, Quite often vaseline/or similar is used near the nose to mask the smell of dead bodies in mortuaries so thought it may work just to mask the smell b4 you drink it ..I hope u are able to find a solution :)

try Vi Shape by ViSalus - its advertised as the shake mix that tastes (and smells ) like a cake mix. I had my lap band 2 years ago and discovered ViSalus 3 months ago.... i love it....

you can order it online www.myvi.net/katelm

good luck- hope you like it...

I CANNOT stand them either. Had to have 3 a day for 2 weeks preop and, after about 5 days, I was gagging them down. I would actually plug my nose like a kid taking medicine just to get it over with! After those 2 weeks I vowed to never drink another Protein Shake again. And I haven't. While on liquids after surgery, I just dealt with not getting much Protein. (I did try an unflavored Unjury in some juice, but there was a definite smell AND taste change. Gross!) Since moving to pureed, etc., I've had no trouble getting protein from actual food, thankfully. So, to answer your question, NO, you do not HAVE to drink Protein Shakes.< /p>