Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can Anyone Share Their Flipped Lap Band Port Experience With Me?

I went in for a fill today and my doctor could not access my port and think that it is flipped. I took an x-ray this morning and waiting for my doctor to call me with the results. I wanted to see if someone could share their experience with me? One major question will I have all the issue I did from the intial surger......mostly importantly the gas?!?!?!? Thank you in advance for your input! :thankyou:

I'm actually having surgery in about 12 hours to fix this problem.... And I also have an infection in my port incision that hasn't gone away since 2 weeks after surgery... I'm exactly 3 months post op.

My surgeon is going to open up my incision, irrigate out the would with antibiotics and clean up my scar. While he's in there(if he doesn't have to remove my port bc of the infection) he's going to flip it back over and re stitch it. From what I understand, it's not too big of a deal if it flips. When I got my fill, my surgeon just maneuvered it to where he could access the port better. It was a little uncomfortable but not too bad.

I'll let ya know how the surgery goes! This is my third surgery in three months for this thing... Hopefully he doesn't have to remove my port and it will be my last :-)

I went in for a fill today and my doctor could not access my port and think that it is flipped. I took an x-ray this morning and waiting for my doctor to call me with the results. I wanted to see if someone could share their experience with me? One major question will I have all the issue I did from the intial surger......mostly importantly the gas?!?!?!? Thank you in advance for your input! :thankyou:

I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op from revision surgery. I found it a very easy post op. I was up and about, and to the store within 6 hours. I had surgery on Friday, and was to church and singing in the choir on Sunday. The highest scar was an itchy sight. It is the one right at my bra area, and I guess that maybe my underwire irritated it some. i am happy with my revision. My surgeon found that my slip wasn't as bad as he expected and did not have to remove the band. My only problem is that I have little restriction at this time. I am going in on Wed for a fill. Good luck on your surgery! Karen

My port is flipped, but because of the position right now they are just accessing it from underneath. I had a few moments of stinging and a long visit because he had to xray where exactly the port was in order to do the fill, but other than a little soreness and a few small bruises the next day or two, nothing major.

Gosh I hope it doesn't cause problems down the road!

My port is flipped, but because of the position right now they are just accessing it from underneath. I had a few moments of stinging and a long visit because he had to xray where exactly the port was in order to do the fill, but other than a little soreness and a few small bruises the next day or two, nothing major.

Gosh I hope it doesn't cause problems down the road!

mine is flipped. i've had 3 fills with no problem, they don't foresee a need for fixing it surgically, dr said it's unlikely to move any more. Just hard to get to, kinda painful but i'll live. Still worth it!

Thank you ladies for your information. I am waiting on my doctor to let me know what will be done.

Hope all went well for you! How are you feeling?

I'm actually having surgery in about 12 hours to fix this problem.... And I also have an infection in my port incision that hasn't gone away since 2 weeks after surgery... I'm exactly 3 months post op.

My surgeon is going to open up my incision, irrigate out the would with antibiotics and clean up my scar. While he's in there(if he doesn't have to remove my port bc of the infection) he's going to flip it back over and re stitch it. From what I understand, it's not too big of a deal if it flips. When I got my fill, my surgeon just maneuvered it to where he could access the port better. It was a little uncomfortable but not too bad.

I'll let ya know how the surgery goes! This is my third surgery in three months for this thing... Hopefully he doesn't have to remove my port and it will be my last :-)

Tried again today to fill and could not so, I will have go back to surgery for him to flip, move, stitch, or whatever this port. Last week I left with blood on my shoes, today on my sleeve. I go on 11/18, I hope post-op will not be like the intital lapband placement.

Hey! The surgery was actually very easy. He did wind up actually removing my port because there was so much infection surrounding it that it wasn't going to clear up. I'll get a new port placed in about 5 weeks.

With a port revision, they usually don't have to use the gas to blow up your abdomen so the recovery was actually pretty painless. The day of surgery and the day after I was sore and tired, but after that I was pretty much back to normal.

Hope that helps calm any nerves you may have! You'll be glad to get it over with because then you'll be able to get fills and really get your weight loss going! Wish you the best!

Tried again today to fill and could not so, I will have go back to surgery for him to flip, move, stitch, or whatever this port. Last week I left with blood on my shoes, today on my sleeve. I go on 11/18, I hope post-op will not be like the intital lapband placement.

I also had a post op infection and had the tubing and port removed. They put it back in 4 weeks later and I have not had any problems in the 2 months since. I am losing weight much slower than I was prior to the removal.

I was banded in March and had port revision surgery in May for a flipped port. During the initial surgery the port was free floating in my abdomin. When it was revised, my doctor stitched it down to my abdominal wall. I have to admit the second surgery was tougher on me than the first but this is why: 1st surgery I stayed overnight in the hosptal and I could focus on the doctor's directions, 2nd surgery i went home immediately to a dog who just wanted to be with me and i was distracted by everything going on to follow directions. However, two days after each surgery i was in my Zumba class doing light movements so I guess it wasn't too bad. My abdomin was tender for much longer after the 2nd surgery i'm guessing because of the stitchery. I took care of the dressings as advised and didn't have any further complications or infection. My doctor was able to go back into one of my previous incisions for the 2nd surgery.

My port flipped about 6mnths after my intial surgery n Jan 2010. My surgeon would flip it manually. My surgeon left, and I got a new surgeon who did port revision surgery--he flipped up and moved it to a more accessible area. I was unfilled for the surgery. Like another OP said, my weight loss slowed down some. Hope everything works out okay for you.

I just went in on Friday and found out my port flipped after three different doctors poked me 20 or so times. Uggh! I am waiting for insurance preauthorization so I can get in hopefully next week for a repair. I have been feeling very frustrated about this, but so far I have liked my band so I am trying to keep a positive mind. I have been exercising and been feeling stronger so the thought of having a recovery period again disappoints me. I am worried that once they do the repair it will happen again. Any experience with the repair not keeping the port in place? I am glad to hear that I am not the only one going through this, but not glad to hear that you all have had problems too. Thanks for the input!