Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

iLAP (Imbricated Lap Band)

I was told that my Dr **MAY** be approved to do it at my hospital starting in December. I've been researching this as an option, and discussed it with my nutritionist/surgery coordinator at my last appointment. IF he is able to perform it by my surgery date, and IF my insurance will approve it, I will have to decide whether I want it or not. I'm still on the fence. I am definitely not willing to put off my surgery for it though. I need to get started as soon as I possibly can!

My doctor still doesn't do this procedure. he MAY start trials of it by the time we have surgery in December. My husband wants it and I am on the fence with it. With the regular lap band it's completely reversible. With this procedure you can take out the lap band but the plication is permanent. It is still being investigated so no sure what the outcomes are or complications.

My thought EXACTLY!

I was told that my Dr **MAY** be approved to do it at my hospital starting in December. I've been researching this as an option, and discussed it with my nutritionist/surgery coordinator at my last appointment. IF he is able to perform it by my surgery date, and IF my insurance will approve it, I will have to decide whether I want it or not. I'm still on the fence. I am definitely not willing to put off my surgery for it though. I need to get started as soon as I possibly can!

From what my doctor told me, the plication can be unsewn. Not that I would ever want that, but he did say it was possible. I had a checkup today and the doc and I both decided on no fill. With the plication I am not hungry and am losing weight, so I am just going to let this do its job as long as I can. He said as long as I stay within recommended portion sizes there should not be a problem with stretching the stomach and it should continue to work as it has been. I am totally happy with the choice I made to have this along with the lapband and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have not suffered through "bandster hell" as others have waiting to find the green zone. I have no real hunger and so it is easy to stay in the guidelines of how to eat. I love my plication and band!

From what my doctor told me, the plication can be unsewn. Not that I would ever want that, but he did say it was possible. I had a checkup today and the doc and I both decided on no fill. With the plication I am not hungry and am losing weight, so I am just going to let this do its job as long as I can. He said as long as I stay within recommended portion sizes there should not be a problem with stretching the stomach and it should continue to work as it has been. I am totally happy with the choice I made to have this along with the lapband and would do it again in a heartbeat. I have not suffered through "bandster hell" as others have waiting to find the green zone. I have no real hunger and so it is easy to stay in the guidelines of how to eat. I love my plication and band!

thats great news!!! have you lost any more weight lately?

I am steadlily losing around 2 pounds a week.

I am steadlily losing around 2 pounds a week.

thank you! that is very good and inspirational. I'm hoping to have the surgery in December and I would like to lose at least 40lbs by May. *crosses fingers*

Well this has been very eye opening for me. I am meeting with my surgeon on the 16th and I am going to ask a few more questions about. If he is ready in December (which he said he would be) I may go that route. My husband already told him that he definitely wants it.

SkinnyMini- I am a fan of the procedure for sure. Just as Bromo talks about in her posts, I have not experienced the hunger that others talk about and have not had a single fill yet other than what he put in my band on the day of surgery. I attribute that to the fact that I have the plication in addition to the band.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I think the worry I have is ....I am not sure if is it reversible? I have to speak to my surgeon on wednesday about it but from what I see on the internet it is reversible. Since its investigational and not all the data is out I would like to know if complications do arise if it is fixable. It seems that my doctor will be ready to do the procedure in December because I spoke to the office manager yesterday and she new that we were considering this "new procedure". In fact my husband and I will probably be his first. I am just hoping that he knows what he is doing. I have to ask him if he has done plications in the past. He is in a Center of Execellence and I hear excellent things about him. In fact he is extremely cautious about starting new procedure without all the information etc., I think that is why he hasn't started yet. I know with the band I am required a 23 hour stay in the hospital but I am not sure if this changes when we add the plication. I know the sleeve is a 2 day stay. Also I am not sure if my insurance will cover that or he will just do it for the price of the band. I guess I will know more Wednesday.

SkinnyMini- I am a fan of the procedure for sure. Just as Bromo talks about in her posts, I have not experienced the hunger that others talk about and have not had a single fill yet other than what he put in my band on the day of surgery. I attribute that to the fact that I have the plication in addition to the band.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I did have to stay overnight but was released from the hospital in under 24 hours. I do think my doctor included my plication with the price of the lapband, as there was no difference in the price getting one or the other.

I'm planning on having this done in January. I was excited when I found out about this surgery since it seems to have all of the benefits of both procedures and they seem to cancel out some of the drawbacks that each procedure has on it's own.

It's encouraging to see that more doctors are starting to offer it. I live in Maryland but at the time I was looking to having this done the most convenient doctor for me was located in FL (I can stay at my parent's home to recover)

I really like the idea that the imbrication of the stomach would help you through those first months when you are getting filled. Might end up needing less fill later on also. We'll see.