Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill until you feel R-E-S-T-R-I-C-T-I-O-N

I was banded 7/25/11. I think what I am feeling is restriction. I get uncomfortable after I eat a few bites of anything. I must stop and wait before I can eat or drink anything. Uncomfortable feeling goes up to my throat. Is this what restriction is supposed to feel like? If so I guess I have it. Have been losing steadily since I really cannot eat too much. Feel great otherwise.....just can't eat much.....but I guess thats why I did this. Anyone else have this feeling. CAT

It's taking me awhile to get here but I think I finally found restriction. I haven't even started on a regular diet yet but already I feel some restriction with my fluids. I just can't drink as fast as I used to. Remember, everyone is different. I had to be unfilled when I got a stomach virus and slowly filled back up. Very discouraging!!! But just keep at it. I gave up for awhile but don't do that!!

I was banded 7/25/11. I think what I am feeling is restriction. I get uncomfortable after I eat a few bites of anything. I must stop and wait before I can eat or drink anything. Uncomfortable feeling goes up to my throat. Is this what restriction is supposed to feel like? If so I guess I have it. Have been losing steadily since I really cannot eat too much. Feel great otherwise.....just can't eat much.....but I guess thats why I did this. Anyone else have this feeling. CAT

That's exactly the way I feel when eating. Some say my band is too tight, and aggressive, but that is the way I like it. I know it is there doing it's job.

You have to learn to live with the band. Learn new ways to eat. The restriction forces you to take your time, put the fork down between bites and wait for the food that accumulates in your pouch to move through the band into your stomach. Take small mouthfuls, chew thoroughly.

Having that level of restriction will force you to eat differently, lighter, and smaller portions or you will get that uncomfortable feeling, perhaps pain, or spit it all up.

I had my band done on 7/20/11 and I have lost the same 10 pounds from after surgery. If you don't have restriction and you can still lose 63 pounds u have a heck of alot of willpower which is better than restriction. I am supper jealous.

I attribute that to eating better. I got to the point where I was eating out (junk food) at least twice a day. So now, it's fish, chicken or seafood and veggies. I do treat myself once a week but I don't let it get out of hand.

That's exactly the way I feel when eating. Some say my band is too tight, and aggressive, but that is the way I like it. I know it is there doing it's job.

You have to learn to live with the band. Learn new ways to eat. The restriction forces you to take your time, put the fork down between bites and wait for the food that accumulates in your pouch to move through the band into your stomach. Take small mouthfuls, chew thoroughly.

Having that level of restriction will force you to eat differently, lighter, and smaller portions or you will get that uncomfortable feeling, perhaps pain, or spit it all up.

And this is what I am afraid of. I have no learning curve. I can eat anything....everything goes down just fine, nothing has gotten stuck. So when I do get restriction I'm afraid of what might happen.

I've been told that the band will slowly stretch the first few fills and that's one of the reasons they need to adjust. my doc also said you might have some swelling when they do the first couple of fills and then as the swelling goes down there is more room again. He did mine with a xray machine too and put 4cc's in at first then had me drink barium and it wouldn't go through so he took out about 2 cc's - it was kind of cool to watch!

I have only had one fill, and I was filled from 3.8 cc's to 5 cc's in a 10 cc band. I have no real restricition right now, but I felt like I did when I first got the fill. Wondering if it was all in my head...or is it possible I stretched my band? I haven't lost anymore weight since then, and I have another fill scheduled for next week.

Feeling frustrated, but it has barely been 2 months since my surgery. I was banded on August 25th.

got my last fill 10/14/2011 my band start getting tight last night eating less today

Thanks Win, I had my fill under fluro and she told me I would not be able to even chug Water anymore and I felt restriction for a week and now I feel pretty open. I just want to see onederland, I got down to 203 but now up to 206, I was 207 at last fill, I'm feeling frustrated.

I'm on day four post surgery and I can't tell if I'm having hunger pains and/or gas in my stomach or I'm still feeling the effects of the surgery. It comes and goes. Still having pain in my neck so hopefully that will go away soon...

I am nowhere near that point because my surgery was 6 days ago. But I have a few questions. How long did it take forvthe gas pain in your left shoulder to be gone? All I have had so far today is a cup of tea w milk. As I sit here, that pain in the shoulder is back. Ive been passing gas since day 3, so does it just take awhile? Does it mean I'm full? I feel kind of hungry. Thanks, Arlene

Exercising helps with the neck pain (shoulder pain for me). I walked a lot the first few weeks, and actually first day I got the surgery. I was so afraid I was going to get a clot, I didn't want to sit still. I don't remember having the shoulder pain after the first week. The first day and second day were the only days that really bothered me with shoulder pain. I went back to work on day 5. Every day it gets a little better. The first 3 days I wasnt really hungry, but I believe day 4 was when it really kicked in. sugar free popsicles were my best friend.

I'm on day four post surgery and I can't tell if I'm having hunger pains and/or gas in my stomach or I'm still feeling the effects of the surgery. It comes and goes. Still having pain in my neck so hopefully that will go away soon...

And this is what I am afraid of. I have no learning curve. I can eat anything....everything goes down just fine, nothing has gotten stuck. So when I do get restriction I'm afraid of what might happen.

Hi Justmermp: I think you must have some restriction b'cause you lost 63 lbs in less than 3 months. That is great! If you are eating everthing as you say......you would not be losing that much weight. I don't think you need a fill at this point bcause you are doing so well with out one.

Thanks, that was helpful info.

I've been told that the band will slowly stretch the first few fills and that's one of the reasons they need to adjust. my doc also said you might have some swelling when they do the first couple of fills and then as the swelling goes down there is more room again. He did mine with a xray machine too and put 4cc's in at first then had me drink barium and it wouldn't go through so he took out about 2 cc's - it was kind of cool to watch!

People you are confusing restriction. Its not about how much you can eat but about how long you can go without being hungry. Two bites of food means you are toooooo tight. You should be able to eat at least a cup of food easily without issues. If you are going 4 to 5 hours without being hungry then that is restriction.

DITTO !

Its different for different people. My restriction is keeping me satisfied on small amounts of food but also stopping me from overeating.I can eat about a half a cup at a time and I am good for two to four hours. I like it that way but for me the biggest part of having good restriction is the pain I get if I try to overeat...I dont do that too much anymore but once n a while...

People you are confusing restriction. Its not about how much you can eat but about how long you can go without being hungry. Two bites of food means you are toooooo tight. You should be able to eat at least a cup of food easily without issues. If you are going 4 to 5 hours without being hungry then that is restriction.