Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am scared I am making a mistake

Sounds like Withdrawls to me.

I am a food addict, and your ringing a bell to me. It's not uncommon, it really does happen allot.

You will still be able to eat healthy foods, as far as being stuck ! If you chew it down to the consistency of Applesauce, you won't have a problem. Some things will be more difficult then others, but you will learn what you can, and can't have.

!. Because it is not good in your calorie counting or low in Protein.

2. that type of food causes a stuck episode.

3, Believe me when I tell you you are not going to miss it ! You might be missing it now, but in time, that all goes away.

You will eat out, at home, at work, wherever you need to. Just watch what you eat like Atkins, and keep your calorie intake low, and Protein high.

When you add in your exercise,,, you'll go far.

You have to be patient though,,,, and consistency is the key..

So if I didn't need it "realistically" I would not have done it.

Instead,, it was the Best Decision I ever made.

Shirley

Sounds like Withdrawls to me.

I am a food addict, and your ringing a bell to me. It's not uncommon, it really does happen allot.

You will still be able to eat healthy foods, as far as being stuck ! If you chew it down to the consistency of Applesauce, you won't have a problem. Some things will be more difficult then others, but you will learn what you can, and can't have.

!. Because it is not good in your calorie counting or low in Protein.

2. that type of food causes a stuck episode.

3, Believe me when I tell you you are not going to miss it ! You might be missing it now, but in time, that all goes away.

You will eat out, at home, at work, wherever you need to. Just watch what you eat like Atkins, and keep your calorie intake low, and Protein high.

When you add in your exercise,,, you'll go far.

You have to be patient though,,,, and consistency is the key..

So if I didn't need it "realistically" I would not have done it.

Instead,, it was the Best Decision I ever made.

Shirley

Thank you Shirley, this helps a lot. I am a major food addict, but I can't live like this anymore. I seriously just broke down in my kitchen. I know if I don't get this done, there is no hope for me to ever lose weight. I have two children that need to learn Portion Control from me. They are young now and won't remember how much mommy ate. I need the change now.

The band will help you lose weight by only allowing you to take in a half cup of food at a time. Some foods go down easier than others -- soft breads will tend to get stuck and then you feel like crap and then they come back up. If you eat too fast and try to eat too much they will get stuck and come back up. It isn't an easy fix and you have to learn how to eat -- small bites chewed very well and take your time. And make the right choices -- Protein, veges and a little fruit -- I eat yogurt, fruit protein smoothies, I can occasionally eat a few bites of very tender steak, shrimp, salmon. It is a total commitment and an education - not just eating less. You need to commit to both and understand that it is a learning process. You will feel better overall if you choose the right foods and eat them in the small quantities. All of this is good information for you -- losing weight and keeping it off is not easy - but the lap band really is a great tool if you understand how to work it. I didn't end up exercising a ton, but kept walking and making good choices and definitely very small portions and 9 months after getting my band I am at my goal weight and have never felt better. With other diets like Lindora I felt deprived and starving -- I don't feel this with lap band. I can still "taste" foods I love, like a bite of apple pie, or a bite of mashed potatoes -- but I don't have to have a whole plate full. I feel more in control and that with the band I can really have the hope of keeping this weight off for good. Good luck to you -- I started at 232 and am now down to 148.

Do you learn to "work" the band after you have it? I feel like everything is in theory right now. This is all really great info. Thanks!

If you want this to Die with you, and not pass it on to your kids, then you need to do something.

The Band is not that bad, or a lot of people would not have got one.

You learned eating habits, and bad habits. You can learn good habits. Then teach them on to your Children.

Understand me when I tell you this is life changing ! So if you want to change your life,,,, the Band will do the Job.

But you must learn to eat Healthy. Junk food will not help you lose weight. It's up to you.

You started something, don't back out because of Nerves. We all go threw this too. It can drive you up the wall.

Just remember this: Are you Ready To Start Your New Life ! That says it all, because its the Truth.

I started at 356 and last time weighed was 241. So the Band Works ! and there ain't no stopping me now....

I also have dieted my entire life (I remember being 8 yrs old and on a diet with my mom). I've had my band for 2 yrs now and I'm about 10 lbs from goal (I've lost 103 lbs). The first 4-5 months I was in "bandster hell" - where you have your band in but no real restriction yet. I lost a few pound just from the liquid diet. After my 3rd fill, I finally understood what the whole deal was behind the band! You can't understand it till you have proper restriction. Some people have it directly after surgery, more often it's 2-4 fills before they feel it.

I am one of the ones who eat whatever they want (including bread, rice, and pasta). I can't eat very much of them. I wouldn't dream of finishing a sandwich. I can eat about 3-4 bites of everything then I'm full - sometimes uncomfortably full. At times when I eat too fast (a habit I'm finding hard to break) everything comes right back up. But it's my own fault, and I understand that.

My fiance who lost 80 lbs the past 18 mths is always on a lo carb plan. I can't stand to be on a "diet" - that's the whole reason I got the band. I still eat Cookies (albeit 2 instead of 12), ice cream (i sm scoop instead of a pint) and soda (a few sips vs a whole bottle). I don't count calories, carbs, Protein or fat. The past year, the poiunds have come off much slower, but that's ok. I'd rather eat the way I am and lose 2 lbs a month than have to deprive myself.

The only problem I've had with my band is last Dec while taking antibiotics for a UTI, the meds made me vomit so much that my band was irritated. I had to go in and have 2cc removed. It was then perfect (I think I was a little tight too) until this past Aug when I got a 1 cc fill. I went from a size 22 to a size 6-8. But I don't have a problem with going shopping for size 6 jeans!

Good luck to you! Good luck in your decision. Know that not all of us are perfect eaters - I'm soooo unperfect. Thats why I love my band so much. If I could have been a healthy eater, I would not have needed the band!

Marci

btw..why was the band different for you than other diets you've done? Why didn't you get bored?

When I got bored, the "tool" kicks in. It doesn't allow me to just eat anything I want and I have support from my family who all know what I am going through and they help keep me on track. I am stronger because I have the support and the "tool". And when I do get bored, I realize that I have help in a fill or whatever I need to keep me on track. Hope that helps.! Karen

Hi, read the post Bandster Basics & A Day in The LIfe, under the Preoperation ??? and this post will settle all your worries

I thought I knew everything I was getting into until I came to this site (no offense.)

I didn't think that after surgery, having a band would be so much "work." What I mean by that is all the dieting. I don't get why anyone here ever got a band unless I don't understand. Most of what everyone says is they still watch what they eat, exercise, etc. Why get the band at all? Why not just diet like normal? What's the point of the band. I've been through my 6 months waiting with monthly visits to the physical therapist, nutritionist and program coordinator and they haven't prepared me for what I've read here. My surgery is in less than two weeks and now I am scared.

I knew I would need to change my life, but honestly I just thought that mean't less eating. Isnt' that the point of the band? If the band doesn't help you from overeating, what's the purpose of this over just doing say Atkins or Weight Watchers? I know it's a tool.

Maybe I am just freaking out. I think I was expecting to eat whatever I wanted (with exception of things that will get stuck) but just eating like a 1/4 of what I used to.

My problem has always been overeating. I thought the band would help with that.

I'm freaking out now.

I can tell you I got my band in May 2010 and lost all my weight plus getting 24 pounds below my drs original goal for me by April 2011. I barely exercised and really just watched what was going in my mouth and how much. From april until last month I maintained within 1 pound. BUT now I have started slipping into bad habits and eating less Protein then I was, more fattening Creamer in my coffee, regular things rather than light and I have put on 5 pounds! My band is extremely tight but I slacked off just like I always have when I dieted and got to goal cause I thought I was done with the "dieting" part and could add more calories and just maintain. Haha that is a big "FAT" joke! I am back to watching my intake and I dropped 1/2 pound, but I know now this is a lifetime of eating this way not just until u get to goal. It was super easy to lose my weight but I will always have to work at keeping it off. If u don't think u can get your head in the game yet maybe u should wait it out. But if you are ready to follow the rules and learn along the way then anything is possible. As far as I am concerned this "work" is totally worth it to me. I may get bored with foods I can and can't eat but I love how I feel and look and that is what keeps me going. Good luck!

OK, I understand and actually agree with your logic.

If I had been able to do all that I am doing now, after the band (Eating correctly, working out, generally having a good healthy lifestyle and relationship with food) than I would not have needed the band, WW or other plans would have worked. But for me it too the step to get the band in order for me to get on the correct path.

What they say about the band being a tool is 100% correct. It is a lot of work to be successful with the band.

The band does help with the amount of food, I was always the first to finish eating, and did not really even know what i was eating, now I am usually the last one to finish and especially if I am eating out I normally take 1/2 of the food home. But than again now that I am banded I often order a larger salad with some Protein added. (and that I don't have to take home)

Generally the band or any of the surgeries are for those who have exhausted the other options, if you were able to get your food uncontrollable and loose weight and keep it off than you may not need the band. But if like many of us you have dieted and lost weight only to regain it time and time again than the band may be for you.

And yes if you work the band it will help you to eat less. But you can always go around the band by drinking with meals and eating slider foods! You have to be willing to work hard to be successful, and if you put this much work and long term dedication to dieting in the past than one would not need the band.

It seems like you may not be ready to take this step, WW is a great program and actually some Dr suggest you still attend something link WW for the support and to be held accountable. Hope I did not confuse you more but you need to know that you have to work at it but the band really help with the control, for me just doing something this drastic had kept me generally on the right path. Sure I would have loved to loose more weight but have been maintaining a 60 lbs loss around 2 years.

Take care and let me know if you have any other questions good luck.

I thought I knew everything I was getting into until I came to this site (no offense.)

I didn't think that after surgery, having a band would be so much "work." What I mean by that is all the dieting. I don't get why anyone here ever got a band unless I don't understand. Most of what everyone says is they still watch what they eat, exercise, etc. Why get the band at all? Why not just diet like normal? What's the point of the band. I've been through my 6 months waiting with monthly visits to the physical therapist, nutritionist and program coordinator and they haven't prepared me for what I've read here. My surgery is in less than two weeks and now I am scared.

I knew I would need to change my life, but honestly I just thought that mean't less eating. Isnt' that the point of the band? If the band doesn't help you from overeating, what's the purpose of this over just doing say Atkins or Weight Watchers? I know it's a tool.

Maybe I am just freaking out. I think I was expecting to eat whatever I wanted (with exception of things that will get stuck) but just eating like a 1/4 of what I used to.

I'm freaking out now.

When I started researching the band I was kinda in the same mentality you are. The more I read the more I thought "why not just diet...why get the surgery if Im gonna have to diet afterwards anyway". Instead of giving up, I kept on reading. I kept on learning. And I learned a lot about myself in that process. I havent been banded yet, as Im in the beginning stages of the insurance part..but what I learned is this:

The lap band is truley a tool..I got sick of hearing how its "a tool"" but once you accept that..the better off you will be. If you are going into having lap band and thinking "I still can eat McDonalds Big Macs, Fries, shakes and all the junk food I want..just less of it"..then you are in the wrong mind frame. Losing weight is not about the food..its about you..and what you want. Putting better things into your body to get better things out of your body. If your not wanting to change your life for the long haul..then you probably arent making the right decision right now.

There's not much to add, you have all the information to make your band a success.

Just remember, You'll get out of the band whatever you put into it. It's a bit of work

but it's worth it. I hope you do well.

I talked to the program coordinator and the nutritionist this morning. They both feel like I am freaking out because I feel so bad. That may be what it is. I definitely don't feel like myself and I can't even think straight. This pre-op diet is killing me. I know most of you really answered my questions. I think I'm just having a hard time reconcilng the difference between dieting on my own and with the band. I think I understand now what's going on. I feel much more prepared. I still have no idea what's going to happen. Everything is in theory now!

The band will prevent you from over eating which is why if you keep it filled correctly you will not regain the weight. However... its not a miracle cure...especially if you dont have good restriction and continue to eat massive quanities of food, eat high fatty foods and basically forget its there. You oculd essentially gain weight even with the band implanted.

In order to take off the weight you must monitor your calories and keep in mind that if you burn more calories than you take in you will lose. Remember 3500 calories = 1 lb. Once you reach your goal your band will be a lifelong tool to keep the weight off which is somehting I am looking forward to. But until that day comes... I maintain 1000 calories per day and am watching the scale drop.

Best of luck to you.

I've been banded for a year and have went thru exactly the thoughts that you're having. I assumed that as soon as I woke up from surgery that I'd automatically just not be hungry and nothing can be farther from the truth. About 4 days after surgery all your hunger comes back plus some. You usually don't hit restriction until you've had 4-5 fills, which is about 4-5 months. By then, I was hating the thing and cussed it every minute of my day. I knew I shouldn't have done it. Even with hating it, I was losing weight slowly. food surrounds us and the way I look at things is...I'm banded, not dead. Those foods aren't going to disappear just because I'm fat from overeating them. I'm NOT one of the banded people that never have a cookie, or candy or ice cream. This is my own personal journey and I refuse to deprive myself just because its a "naughty" food. I've learned moderation. I'm fine with a couple of Cookies instead of 8-10. I still have baked potatoes when I want...but only a half. I definately eat more than 1/2 a cup of food at a time. My surgeon says 1-1 1/2 cups a meal is what he suggests. If it'll go down, I eat it. I avoid Pasta and bread and rice because those do sometimes get stuck. The whole band "game" is mostly mental. If you're not ready for a complete lifestyle change, rethink your surgery but it will work if you work with it. I'm down 98 lbs in a year and I'm ok with that.