Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded three days ago - is this normal?

I was banded three days ago and am experiencing pain every time I swallow - is this normal? The pain is not in my throat, it's deep in my chest and seems to build and then burst in a sharp pain. Is this the "gas" I've read about following surgery? It's making me tired and discouraged. I actually thought I'd be better by today. :( Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. -Stacie

It probably is gas you are feeling. I thought I would have felt better a lot sooner than I was but it took a good 3 weeks before I was feeling 100% back to normal. Take it easy and don't push yourself. Just rest and let your body heal. Good luck!

I had similar pain for about 10 days after surgery. It felt like trapped indigestion that I just couldn't burp up. If you are able to keep liquids down, hopefully you will be ok.

It could very well be gas, or it could also be the pain that some surgery patients get in their chest extending out to the left hand side of the chest. It comes and goes, and It's very painful and lasts a few weeks but there is nothing to do but grin and bear it. My doctor told me when I complained of it that one morning you will wake up and it will be gone. He was right, it was!

Good luck

I was banded 3 days ago also.... saw my surgeon last night with the exact symptoms. He released more residual saline from the band and I feel 75% better. :-)

he advised me in rare cases the band is too tight causing epigastric pain.

I think I am experiencing similar symptoms. I was banded 3 days ago, the 12th, and I am still having a lot of gas pains in my upper stomach area, where the banding is. I can keep fluids down, and drank my first Protein Shake earlier, but this bloated, gassy feeling is so uncomfortable! My hubby is making chicken Soup. I hope the warm Fluid helps. I'm passing gas but it does nothing for the bloating that I feel in my upper stomach area. Any suggestions from those who are past this or do I just have to wait it out?

Also, my surgeon did not put anything in my band.

I think the posters above are right and I would expect it to get better soon. It can also just be pressure from swallowed saliva which can just be from the inflammation/irritation from the surgery. If I eat too much (well, WHEN I eat too much) I might feel fine and never even know it but after the meal it becomes more and more difficult just to swallow normal saliva and that leads me to the sliming!

Hi,

I was banded yesterday & I feel the same bloated, pain....I'm sure it will subside. Just trying to remind myself hy I did this and to keep positive.

Move around a lot, short small walks help and the more you do the better you will feel. I agree by week 3 I felt like my old self just lighter. Second week was the worst for me as I went back to work and sitting was uncomfortable.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches