Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this a crazy thing to do?

I was in Belk's department store this morning shopping for a present for my daughter. You have to walk through the regular size clothes to get to the plus sizes and on my way back through I stopped to look at a clearance rack. I wear a 22/3x right now and got rid of anything that is under a 20/2x when I moved to my apartment from my house last year. Anyway, I was looking in the XLs and found some fantastic bargin prices on some tops. I bought 5! and spent less than $25. Is it crazy to do this, or am I just being smart by collecting up a few things for a great price when I actually reach that size? Have any of you done this?

I don't think you are crazy in the least! You WILL wear those blouses sooner than you think. And what a great bargain.

Last November I bought 5 pairs of slacks on sale -- they were quite snug. Well, they aren't snug anymore! LOL They are a little bigger than I like to wear my slacks and still have them look neat, but it's tolerable. I'm pretty sure the sale will happen again next month. This time I plan to buy them a size smaller than I currently wear. I have no doubt at all that I will fit into them in just a couple of months (or less). I love to shop and a good bargain is hard to pass up.

You're not crazy -- at least not any crazier than I am (and the jury is still out on me... LOL).

~Fran

I think it is a great idea! I wish I would have done it. I need almost everything new and can't afford it! So I buy a couple of things I really need (pants, bras, and underwear) and everything else is really baggy! Going to check out thirft stores this weekend!

I've been buying clothes that are too small when I've found them on clearance too. I have quite a nice wardrobe building up that I should be able to wear in a few months! You're not crazy! (Or, if you are, then I am too!!!)

By all means shop away, it's motivational!! Just don't spend to much on new clothes cause you won't be wearing them for long :)

I've only done that once so far. There was a pair of workout pants with the Yankees logo on it that I really liked andd they were a decent price. I got them at Marshalls so I know I wouldn't find them again. I was wearing an XL at the time, so I got them in a XL and a L. I'm happy I did because when I shrunk out of the XL, I was able to still wear them, just in the next size down.

I say go for it. especially on things you can get cheaply.

Thanks for making me feel better, y'all. I don't plan on spending much money doing this or buying very much, but knowing that I will need clothes in smaller sizes and having a somewhat limited budget for them, I thought it made sense, in a crazy sort of way. Clearance racks may become my new best friend. lol

Crazy? Heck no! When I was still wearing a 24 I a local store was going out of business. I bought every 16, 18, 20 and 22 they had and packed em away until they fit.

I still have a lot of my basic "skinny" clothes from before I got super-fat (by basic, I mean things that aren't out of style), so I am covered clothes-wise until I get to a size 12-then I have no idea what I'm going to do, because I will need a whole new wardrobe!

If the things you buy are too small now, try them on often. I ended up shrinking out of a few things before I could wear them. Don't just hold an item up or compare to other clothes you are already wearing. Remember it takes time for your brain to catch up. There have been many times I have gone closet shopping and I think it won't be long before I can wear those jeans, then I try them on and they fit or are even too big.

There is nothing wrong with buying smaller sizes, besides, I find it to be a motivator. I to have been doing the same thing. I'm going on a Caribbean Cruise in January and I'm finding great deals on summer clothes but I'm only buying 2 sizes smaller and hopefuly I won't regret not buying smaller sizes! Or, maybe I will just in case lol. The only thing I will wait on purchasing is my LITTLE BLACK DRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the things you buy are too small now, try them on often. I ended up shrinking out of a few things before I could wear them. Don't just hold an item up or compare to other clothes you are already wearing. Remember it takes time for your brain to catch up. There have been many times I have gone closet shopping and I think it won't be long before I can wear those jeans, then I try them on and they fit or are even too big.

Me too! I had some real nice dresses that I bought fro church. Before I could wear one of them, it was way to big. SO I agree go for it, don't spend to much on clothes that you wear a few times. But, no problem with buying inexpensive smaller clothes when on sale. Good luck to all of us. Karen

I have also done the same. IT'S EXCITING AND FRUSTRATING ALL AT THE SAME TIME.

Actually, I think that is a great idea. Lately, I have been throwing away or donating clothes and my closet is slowly disappearing. I am cheap when it comes to purchasing clothes because I do not want to only wear them for a couple months and then them not fit. Ihave been trying to make the others work, but they are falling off. I am going to try your idea! Thanks

I find it really motivating to have goal clothes hanging in the wardrobe to try on week by week!

I remember one particular pair of jeans that I thought I would never get into, I thought at about 75kg I'd had my run, that was going to be where my weight stayed. I've still got them and they fall off now, quite literally.

I didnt just buy indiscriminately, I picked things I really really wanted to wear - its hard to tell with sizes and seasons and where you'll be at what time, so some things I never ended up wearing, but it was motivating just the same.