Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do you count? Calories/protein/carbs?

What are we supposed to count? Do we count calories? Carbs? I know we are supposed to have a certain amount of Protein, but how about the rest? My nutritionist talked about what to eat, and how to eat it, but never about calorie count or carb limits.

my nutritionist was big on counting Protein and portion size, but she really hesitated to give me a calorie range. Personally I count Protein (try to get at least 80g a day) and carbs (try to get under 100g a day). Since I track my food, I do count calories... but I try not to stress over them if my day is high on protein and low on carbs, but the calories are on the higher side.

I was never given a # of carbs to shoot for, I was just told to always eat my protein, then veggies, then a little carbs if I have room... and if I have to have a snack, make it one with protein.

My dietiican did the same thing. She told me not to worry about my calorie intake. She wanted me just to concentrate on getting my Protein allowance in. I had previously put a post asking the same questions and I got a lot of positive and some negative feedback. She never touched on the carbs or the fat grams. But she did also said to start with protein, then veggies and if I had room then carbs. I just try to watch my calories and my protein for now.

Thanks! Lisa, I looked up your post and read what everyone said. I feel better now about not having been told this from my nut since she cant really say eat x cals, x carbs and x Protein because it is different for everyone. I have used the my fitness pal thing and my dietitian that I saw before my surgeons nut both say I dont eat enough calories. That kinda worries me if I dont eat enough cals now, what is going to happen when I am banded? I guess I need to start picking foods that are higher in healthy fat like avocados and nuts. Thanks again for the advice ladies!

Your welcome. Good luck on your surgery. Please keep us posted. It's good to ask questions prior. That is something I never did. Lol on reading those posts. I know I kinda freaked. I just happen to let people get to me and I shouldn't. Lesson learned!!

Thanks! Lisa, I looked up your post and read what everyone said. I feel better now about not having been told this from my nut since she cant really say eat x cals, x carbs and x Protein because it is different for everyone. I have used the my fitness pal thing and my dietitian that I saw before my surgeons nut both say I dont eat enough calories. That kinda worries me if I dont eat enough cals now, what is going to happen when I am banded? I guess I need to start picking foods that are higher in healthy fat like avocados and nuts. Thanks again for the advice ladies!

I use www.myfitnesspal.com (as do many others here) to count calories and Protein. If u join feel free to add me UN: mauraclegg. It also tracks exercise. Great app and page

I love my fitness pal helps me everyday. I am hdavis72 on fitness pal

You really have to find what works for you. If you are someone who likes to keep very close track of every gram of everything and every calorie, tracks calories burned, makes lists and such, then stick to that. I think many bandsters stick to very strict calorie counting and Protein tracking in the beginning and then switch to "winging it" after they get in the groove of banded life.

In my own personal journey, I have not counted calories or tracked or journaled anything from day one. I just can't live my life that way with 24/7 obcession over my "diet". I do keep some basic guidelines in mind like staying away from high-cal foods and eating Protein. I lost 100 pounds in one year doing it that way, so it worked well for me.

Many other bandsters on this site give me a hard time about the way I do it, but it is not their journey.

Yeah, everyone's journey is their own and what works for one does not necessarily work for another. I do track my calories, carbs, Proteins and fats. I think later on down the road I will not be as obsessive about it, but as a new bandster this is what I need to do for me. I asked my nutrionist about the above and she gave me a set of guidelines that work for me right now in this phase of my weight loss. 1000 calories, 60g carbs, 65g Protein, and 28g fat. I find it fairly easy to eat a variety of foods and be satisfied and stay within the guidelines. If I occasionally go over I am not worrying about it as I figure it all balances out in the end, as some days I am under. Good luck to you.

Wow, really??!!! I hate people who are so judgemental. I had a post and felt someone was being judgemental to me. I kinda freaked, I have to learn to ignore that. Your journey is your journey. You know what works for you and obviously it has!!!!

You really have to find what works for you. If you are someone who likes to keep very close track of every gram of everything and every calorie, tracks calories burned, makes lists and such, then stick to that. I think many bandsters stick to very strict calorie counting and Protein tracking in the beginning and then switch to "winging it" after they get in the groove of banded life.

In my own personal journey, I have not counted calories or tracked or journaled anything from day one. I just can't live my life that way with 24/7 obcession over my "diet". I do keep some basic guidelines in mind like staying away from high-cal foods and eating Protein. I lost 100 pounds in one year doing it that way, so it worked well for me.

Many other bandsters on this site give me a hard time about the way I do it, but it is not their journey.

I use My Fitness Pal also. I am Lisalisa_67. It is a great tool to use for tracking food and exercise. I like this app a lot. You can download a free app on your smartphone as well.

I do like the myfitnesspal site. Right now I am having a very hard time because I am doing the preop shakes and veggies, but I am not hungry. I did 4 shakes a day and lots of veggies to start, and now i harldy get 2 shakes in and very little to no veggies. I know I need the Protein and I know i need a certain amount of cals a day, but I am not hungry and have to force myself to do the shakes. (Not that I dont like them either, I really do enjoy them!) My tummy is grumbly, but it is not a "feed me now" kind of thing. Oh well, that is ok anyway, surgery is in 4 days!!

I guess if I had to say I counted anythign it would be calories. I'm a firm believer that calories are what matter at the end of the day, and that low carb diets simply restrict a food group that is quite calorie dense.

That said, i dont log, I am simply aware in general of about how much I am eating. I dont believe in dieting.

I think Humming Bird hit it on the head for me. Since I am in the beginning of the rest of my life of hopefully healty eating and better overall health, it is important for me to learn to make major changes in my dietary habits that brought me to this place. By tracking what I eat, learning which foods are healthier and holding myself accountable by using myfitnesspal to track my food, I am learning a new way of eating and hopefully one day later in the journey I will no longer have to do this as it will be a natural habit for me to make better choices. By viewing this as a lifestyle change, I need help and guidance and some practice to make it happen.

Most people do count calories when they start. Some people eventually feel comfortable enough to gauge based on how they feel and if things start to go in a direction you don't want, reign it in. Other people prefer to stick with the strict control method because there's less guesswork involved.

Most people will recommend you keep close track of your intake for a while just to get a good baseline measurement.