Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My biggest fear about the lapband is having to quit Diet Soda. I am addict. I realize with the lapband I can not have diet soda, seltzer or beer :( Beer I like to indulge only once in a while BUT soda I drink it everyday. I feel that I should start trying to kick my habit before the surgery so it will be easier. I quit smoking cold turkey but food and soda is a HUGE problem. Also what about caffeine all together. Is it necessary to give up caffeine or just before the surgery? Any tips on how to quit PLEASE pass it along. :blink:

I too was a major diet soda addict. I would drink 9-10 cans of soda a day from the time I woke up until right before bed. This was also one of my biggest fears because I LOVED SODA. I know its really sad, but it was like a drug, that I had to have. To tell you the truth I had to just stop cold turkey, I've been off it for a month and it's still in my house my husband drinks it every night with dinner, and I will have Water or 4c light tea to go. It was real hard in the begining, but now it doesn't even phase me. Weird right?!?!

All I can say is think about all that you are trying to change with yourself. Soda is just one of many obstacles that you are gonna come across, and I look at it like this.... Are we gonna let (fill in blank) stop us from feeling the way we want to feel, looking how we want to look??? NO we need to stand up and put us first and be rid of all the bad thinking and decisions that have put us were we are today.

Take it one day at a time and maybe you can't go cold turkey but try to reduce the amount you drink each day until you get down to none and then stick with it, you'll get there it sometimes takes a lot of time.

Good Luck !

Another addict here. When I learned that I would have to give them up I began to systematically wean myself off them. Have a glass of Water, then I could have one. I later increased it to two glasses before I could have one, then three. After a few weeks I was done completely. I haven't missed them really yet after surgery. I drink water and the sugar free hawaiian punch pouches in my water and so far that has satisfied me. I know I am saving money already not drinking a 12 pack od diet pepsi every day or two.

At first it was the main reason why I didnt want the lapband but now I getting sick of my addiction to the soda anyways. I am nervous that it will be difficult though. Also the fact that I can't have any carbonated drinks makes it harder.

You have gotten some really good feedback and will have to make up your mind which way to go. The 1st thing was caffeine....most posters are not told to quit caffeine...my practice encouraged it because it stimulates the appetite and gives some ppl indigestion. I drink 6-8 mugs of coffee a day and have no problems and my practice doesn't have any problems with it.

I was a soda junkie to the max and haven't had one in 3 years and I love the money I have saved as well as the time and gas $$ saved from not searching for sales. I did both the taper and cold turkey method....I still occasionally miss the cold sweet bubbles but miss smoking even more, LOL. My practice said we could try carbonation after a year banded so I did and I suffered horrible trapped gas pains which was enough to say good riddance to that habit.

I wish you the best and assure you that your quality of life will not suffer w/o soda. Especially since we are not supposed to eat and drink at the same time!!!!

Mimi

I recently stopped drinking soda - for money reasons since it's so expensive. I am so glad I read this. My seminar is next Monday and I will not be drinking soda from now on!! What about Powerade?

MIMI --"I was a soda junkie to the max and haven't had one in 3 years and I love the money I have saved as well as the time and gas $$ saved from not searching for sales."

Ain't that the truth. I have to honest with you when I thought about the surgery the first thing that came to my mind was "NO WAY". I quit smoking and I have to quit bad food the only thing I have left is soda. BUT now I am sort of getting annoyed that I am addicted to my soda. I have 2 cans a day but I can't picture not having it. I search for sales and I panic when I run low in the house or when the vending machine at work is sold out. ARRRRRGH I am fed up and thinking its the best thing to do is quit and it is not going to get in the way of me losing weight. Maybe I will switch over to seltzer first then of all the carbonation. I will miss it dearly. As far as coffee I have to risk the indegestion and have my 1 morning cup.

Also how soon can you drink after eating? I am a sipper but I do like to sip a little bit while I eat.

I'm yet another diet coke addict! I was consuming up to 8 cans of soda a day - and more on hot summer days or when I was "socializing". What helped me the most was transitioning to an alternate drink. I find that I really like SOBE Vitamin Water - they make a zero calorie option that I've found quite tasty. PROS - I've been soda-free since my surgery 9/20/2011. CONS - (1) it's even more expensive than soda; (2) it's unavailable at restaurants, movies, etc. I find myself sneeking in my own beverages. Another option - my grocery store (Kroger) just started carrying a small liquid additive that you can mix with bottled water yourself - found it in the aisle with Kool-aid, and it's worked out well. (I've also added these drops to plain yougurt during the full-liquid stage of my diet, and it helps add flavor without any additional calories or fruit lumps.

I think its the carbonation that I will miss. :( I don't even like Corona because its not carbonated enough.

Another diet coke addict here. I was a regular at my local McDonalds for their 42 oz. EVERYDAY I had one. I had to quit cold turkey, I knew I wanted this more than the soda. I did get a 20 oz while I was on my pre-op and I drank about a quarter of it and threw it away. I couldn't believe I did that but it just didn't even taste worth it anymore. You can do it! You just have to make up your mind what you want :). It is worth it, my dr said some people let their soda get flat and then drink it. Yuck!

Ain't that the truth. I have to honest with you when I thought about the surgery the first thing that came to my mind was "NO WAY". I quit smoking and I have to quit bad food the only thing I have left is soda. BUT now I am sort of getting annoyed that I am addicted to my soda. I have 2 cans a day but I can't picture not having it. I search for sales and I panic when I run low in the house or when the vending machine at work is sold out. ARRRRRGH I am fed up and thinking its the best thing to do is quit and it is not going to get in the way of me losing weight. Maybe I will switch over to seltzer first then of all the carbonation. I will miss it dearly. As far as coffee I have to risk the indegestion and have my 1 morning cup.

Also how soon can you drink after eating? I am a sipper but I do like to sip a little bit while I eat.

No drinking 15-30 mins before and after eating. I drink while I eat too pre-op and it is a hard thing I have to constantly remind myself of.

Hello. My name is J. And im a soda addict.

Seriously, soda was like crack for me! Diet, regular it didnt matter. I drank so much daily i couldnt count. Big gulp 44 oz here, 32 oz soda there, can outta the soda machine at work, out to eat, at home. Everywhere. Its so stupid bc dh and i would drink it with dinner (he still does) and my kids would beg for it but i'd tell them no bc its not healthy so they drink Water. Im such a hypocrit. I gave up soda when i started preop. I had a killer headache (bc no caffiene) for a cpl days then it went away. Honestly the only time i missed it was once preop. I picked up taco bell for dh and my car smelled of burritos and tacos but all i wanted was a sip of that darn soda!! But i didnt. And i was so proud of myself. Now, i dont even miss it. I am too paranoid to even try it with my band. Plus i know its like crack for me. One sip will lead to one serving which will lead to a 12 pack. Its just not worth it. Ive lost 30 pounds since preop. Giving up sodas seems like a small thing to give up in exchange for that 30 pounds!

J

I think all of us that are or used to be addicted to DIET sodas can tell you it is like our form of DRUG. I to slowed decreased the amount of soda I drank and then completely stop drinking it. It didnt take me long about a month or less. I substituted the soda with flavored Water packets and plain Water. CAFFEINE is the DEMON in getting off the diet sodas. Its not neccessary the SODA. Now I have been told by my doctor that you can enjoy a soda later just a FLAT SODA!! YUKE!! I'll pass....besides my skin looks great with all the water I have been drinking and you cant argue with that.

Surgery in a week...Oct. 13th. Can't wait to really get the weight loss going.

My husband said that about the caffeine. HMMMM maybe I should switch to sport drinks with caffeine? Or is that bad too? I made my mind up. When all the soda in the house is gone I am NOT buying anymore so I guess I will quit it cold turkey but I will need another althernative.

Crystal light has a Wild strawberry flavor that has caffeine in it :)