Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Biotin for hair loss...

I've been experiencing some Hair loss for the last few months. For me it is just breakage, I see all the broken pieces and my hair feels thinner. I've spoken with my doctor who recommended upping my Protein and taking Biotin. She said most likely it is just my body's reaction to the rapid weight loss and my hair will grow back. I've been religiously taking 5,000mg biotin for almost 2 months now. I haven't really noticed a difference.

So I'm wondering, did taking biotin help you? Any other recommendations that did work?

Thanks in advance!

I've been experiencing some hair loss for the last few months. For me it is just breakage, I see all the broken pieces and my hair feels thinner. I've spoken with my doctor who recommended upping my Protein and taking Biotin. She said most likely it is just my body's reaction to the rapid weight loss and my hair will grow back. I've been religiously taking 5,000mg Biotin for almost 2 months now. I haven't really noticed a difference.

So I'm wondering, did taking biotin help you? Any other recommendations that did work?

Thanks in advance!

I will be following this as I'm losing tons of hair. I'm 1 month post op and don't know what to do to stop the Hair loss. Will be asking my dr on Friday.:mellow:

It will take a while for you to really see a difference from the Biotin. I think it was 6 months before I could tell, my hairbrush had 50% less hair in it! I also, use Nioxin cleanser, conditioner and scalp treatment and that I made a difference in a month! I don't have a band yet, my surgery date is 10/21, but I experienced Hair loss after the birth of my fourth child!

I've been experiencing some hair loss for the last few months. For me it is just breakage, I see all the broken pieces and my hair feels thinner. I've spoken with my doctor who recommended upping my Protein and taking Biotin. She said most likely it is just my body's reaction to the rapid weight loss and my hair will grow back. I've been religiously taking 5,000mg biotin for almost 2 months now. I haven't really noticed a difference.

Thanks in advance!

I had a ton of hair fall out in the weeks following the surgery. But, I found that just taking Multivitamins helped a lot. My doc thinks my Hair loss came simply from the stress of having the surgery.

Every time I touch my hair, it falls out. When I shower, its handfuls. This is crazy. I have not tried anything yet, but I think I will try what lildentonmommy suggested! I am only 3 months out and I heard from months 3-8 are the worse for Hair loss. I will be bald by then!

I'm glad I found this thread.. I've been crying all morning about this! For the last week or two my hair has been falling out like crazy, by handfuls. I'm afraid to brush it because it fills up the brush in one round, and I've been wearing it up because it seems to come out less than when it's down. My hair is like my 'thing'... and I don't mean to sound prissy about that. It's just that I've always taken good care of it, and that's what people seem to notice about me. I'm really upset that it's falling out so rapidly.. I'm 3-4 months post surgery and I don't really see the point in being skinny and bald! Gah.. I'm going to ask my program coordinator about these options and see if she has any other ideas. Thanks for letting me vent on your thread :x

I have REALLY thick hair and I was loosing a lot of hair. I starting taking 5,000 mg Biotin (available in tick tac size capsule) at about 3 months out. My Hair loss did stop but hard to tell if the loss stopped on it's own after my body recovered from surgery or if the Biotin actually helped.

I wanted to update my situation because it might help some of you guys as well. I went to see my program coordinator and we figured out that I'm Protein deficient. I was getting around 55g a day and I need to aim for 95 to get things back on track. She said that many people don't ask for help when this happens, but that with me we caught it in time before anything serious would happen. Hope that helps a bit.

I had a lot of Hair loss about 4 months post op. Clumps fell out when I washed it in the shower, brush it or took it out of a ponytail. I did start taking Biotin but the clerk at my GNC knew right away that I had surgery. She recommened an easier digested Protein Shake and liquid multi. To be honest I felt I took the liquid multi more religiously (I found one that didn't taste thick and gross, I don't remember the name but you can contact me if you'd like to know). I think the multi had more to do with any benefit. The hair loss seems to be natural stress reaction to surgery, your body is focused on healing your surgical wounds. I think taking a good quality multi, Protein supplement and biotin from the beginning is your best option.