Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 2 Months Post-Op, minimal weight loss

I have been having no problems eating anything and I am hungry most of the time. I find that when I wake up in the morning, I am rarely hungry and my hunger usually doesnt start until late morning.I have only had one fill and I feel like I could eat almost whatever I want when I want. I have had no problems with breads or any other solids. I haven't tried rice.

I know part of the minimal weight loss (e.g. less than 5 lbs since surgery) is my fault as I havent been exercising (I work full time as a nurse and also am going to school - fitness center through my surgeons office is not open past 6 and I work 6:30a-7:30p, and closed on Sundays) in addition to not always eating the way I should.

I am also finding it hard to eat every 3 hours, as I work 12-13 hour shifts and only get one 30 minute break, and we arent allowed to have food or drinks at the nurse's station. A lot of times, the only time I can eat is also the only time I can drink as well.

I just am looking for some guidance and advice and someone to whip me into shape. I am disappointed in myself that I havent been following/haven't been able to follow the directions I was given.

I don't eat every three hours. In the morning I have a cup of coffee, and a Protein shake. lunch is usually a Soup, low fat chili, or a grilled chicken salad. Then dinner I have a Protein (tilapia, scallops, shrimp, chicken sausage) and a veggie. Then I have an evening snack - cocoa roast almonds, power bar pria bar, or a sugar free ice pop.

I know its tough to find time to work out but that has made all the difference to me. I work 60 hours per week and have a 2 year old so I hear you. I started working out late at night when everyone is sleeping. That has really worked for me. I am so not a morning person. You just need to find the time that works for you. One thing that really got me started was getting a trainer the first couple of months to get me on the right track. It is kind of pricey but so worth it if you can swing it.

My advice would be to really track your calories. In the beginning I thought I was eating well but when I tracked calories I was way over!! Now I know if I want to treat myself to something I just adjust my workouts. I keep losing and I don't feel deprived.

I wish you much success! You can do it! :D

Thanks. I really just need help. I recently went to my primary dr and she took me off of another BP med which is great news. Prior to my surgery, I "dieted" (e.g. ate the way I am supposed to) and I lost 40 pounds pre-op. I am now around 5 lbs post op.

However, I broke down and cried after she told me about taking me off a BP med and she asked me whats wrong. I told her my tears were a combo of happy and sad. Happy because I lost weight and was being taken off of another pill (I am only 27!), but sad because I am disappointed in how I have done post-op.

Maybe you need another fill? Sorry if I wan't helpful just sharing what has worked for me!

Sounds like you are doing pretty good to me- 45 lbs down in the last few months, off a med. Congrats! You are off to a great start!

I'm not sure when you had surgery but my advice would be to seriously track your food for a few days (I like myfitnesspal but there are several free sites you can use - several of which have apps for your phone). Once you have done that, take a step back and look honestly at what you are eating. How many calories are you eating? Are you getting your Protein in? How many carbs are you eating (many of us find that lower carb diets work best)? Are you drinking enough Water? Only then can you make the necessary adjustments to your food plan.

I'm sure that not everyone will agree with me but the way I look at it is that the instructions that the surgeon gives us are a guideline. I know that I need to eat enough Protein and drink enough Water but other than that you need to be able to tweak things to make them work for you. Once you have a good idea of what you are eating then make small changes to see how that affects your weight loss. This is a lifestyle change so you need to find a way to make it work for you. If you can't eat Snacks then plan your meals accordingly to make sure you get enough nutrients in the meals you can have. Exercise is also important...take an honest look at your schedule and see where you can fit it in - even if it is just a few times a week.

The last thing I will mention is that if you chose to use an on-line site to track your food, I don't know about other sites but I can tell you that myfitnesspal allows you to "friend" other members. There are many lapband patients on there (me included - my user name on there is vickyd205) who have their food diaries open for their friends to look at. It might help to see what other successful bandsters normally eat - it might give you some ideas.

Good luck!

you're still pretty early in your journey. I went through the same thing, and I'm sure most other bandsters did also. You probably didn't have a fill during surgery, so your stomach was able to heal. Thats what the first 5-6 weeks is for, healing only! Then you got a fill, but it's probably not much, so you're still going to feel little to no restriction. chances are, you won't have much restriction for quite a while- maybe after your 3rd fill you'll start to feel some, but it could take a while. be patient. you will get restriction and will lose 1-2 pounds a week. It does happen, you just need to get to the green zone, or sweet spot.

So, during bandster hell, keep tracking, avoid carbs, start doing some kind of exercise (even incidental exercise- take the stairs to your floor, park farther away in the lot, etc) and relax.

AND.. congratulations on being taken off of your meds! That's fabulous.

you're still pretty early in your journey. I went through the same thing, and I'm sure most other bandsters did also.

Really? A lot of people dont lose weight in the beginning?

I had heard most weight loss occurs in the first year, so that is why I assume it will come off fairly quickly.

Really? A lot of people dont lose weight in the beginning?

I had heard most weight loss occurs in the first year, so that is why I assume it will come off fairly quickly.

after you get to your green zone. you have to have enough restriction. the first 6 weeks are a time for healing, then you start to get fills, find your green zone and start losing. Many people have several fills before they start feeling restircition.

I myself didn't really start losing consistently until my 3rd fill. I lost immediately after surgery from being swollen and just concentrated on maintaining that loss until I started getting filled.

I was the same I only lost A stone and put on 5 lb before my first fill, I just had my second and I'm down about 22 lbs. Only started to lose after my first fill but I lost a pound or 2 a week. I didn't really try too hard either.

It's very hard the first few months, I went from been a very happy person to crying, angry, delirious!!!! Only when I got my fill and got some restriction did that stop.

And no matter what anyone says, you do think your the one that will lose the weight quickly! Unfortunately it doesn't happen for alot of people until after a few fills. Good luck with your journey x

When I was 2 months post op my weight loss was so slow. I started wondering if I would be one of the bandsters that this just doesn't seem to work for-I doubted everything and it was so frustrating!

It wasn't unitl my 4th fill (3 months post op) that I finally had restriction-and WOW what a difference it made!! Now I can't even overeat if I wanted too. I know a lot of people track calories and it is a helpful tool, but for me I wanted my days of counting calories over with-I wanted to judge my own full signals and stop signals. Sometimes I don't always listen to my soft stop signals (a hiccup, burp, runny nose, or just that full feeling) but I am learning (the hard way).

The point is that this is very normal-yes your first year you'll lose a bunch-but not until you are in that green zone. For me it took 4.5ccs in a 10cc band-it varys greatly from person to person. Be patient, soon enough you will be there and you'll be thinking Now this is what I signed up for!! Good luck!

Don't feel bad - trust me! I followed the drs orders 100% and lost only 4 lbs, the first month post op and 4 lbs the second month post op!!! I was sooo depressed. I was certain the lap band would be yet another diet that just wouldn't work for me.:angry: Then -at about 21/2 months the weight started falling off!!! I didn' do anything differently. My body just decided it was time to purge! LOL :lol: I will tell you that I feel almost no restriction and COULD eat anything. I can chomp on celery, salads, dried out chicken breasts etc. with no problems. Sometimes I wonder why everything seems to slide right down. I have a 6 cc fill.:) Hang in there the weight will come off! Good luck!!