Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hopefully I didn't post this twice :) looking for advise on what to say to people since I was banded yesterday. My kids know I had a "procedure" so I'm sure people will be asking. I don't want to get into it with every person I know I've only told a few close friends. Any advise?

Hopefully I didn't post this twice :) looking for advise on what to say to people since I was banded yesterday. My kids know I had a "procedure" so I'm sure people will be asking. I don't want to get into it with every person I know I've only told a few close friends. Any advise?

You can tell them you had Hernia surgery or your gall bladder removed. Telling people the truth is a very personal decision and there's no shame in holding off on announcing it to the world.

It is your decision and yours alone on who you want to tell. i have had 2 negative comments to me about having the band, one from a co-worker and one from a mom of my son's classmate. the co-worker said that i should just eat less and exercise, shouldn't have gotten the band. i told her "uh that is the point of the band, to eat less. wasn't able to do that on my own". that shut her up. the mom said one negative comment just because she had 2 friends who had a bad experience with the band and bypass.

i told my family and some co-workers. my family has been extremely supportive about it. most of my co-workers are too, i told them because i work at a hospital and if anything happens to me, they are aware of it.

you don't have to explain anything to anyone. those who are negative about it, you will find don't know anything about the band and are usually skinny people who do not have a weight problem. it is your decision and yours alone. and if anyone gives you crap about it, tell them to back off!! :)

You can tell them you had Hernia surgery or your gall bladder removed. Telling people the truth is a very personal decision and there's no shame in holding off on announcing it to the world.

It's never a good idea to lie. Eventually the truth will come out. Better to just say, "I had an en elective procedure. No big deal! How 'bout those Red Sox?!"

It's never a good idea to lie. Eventually the truth will come out. Better to just say, "I had an en elective procedure. No big deal! How 'bout those Red Sox?!"

I would leave the part out about the Red Sox, especially since most of them are Yankee fans this week hoping we take care of their dirty work. LOL

I chose not to tell anyone. Did not even tell anyone I was going in for surgery. Just took a week off from work, vacation time.

People do ask me all the time what am I doing to loose all this weight. I just tell them the secret is to eat less, exercise everyday, and get all the Protein I need.

I would leave the part out about the Red Sox, especially since most of them are Yankee fans this week hoping we take care of their dirty work. LOL

My point was simply to change the subject! I only said Red Sox because I saw you were from Mass. Your Yankee fan friends can hope all they want, but they're never gonna make it past Detroit in the play offs..not with Verlander eligible to pitch twice in the series and Fister coming up behind him!

My point was simply to change the subject! I only said Red Sox because I saw you were from Mass. Your Yankee fan friends can hope all they want, but they're never gonna make it past Detroit in the play offs..not with Verlander eligible to pitch twice in the series and Fister coming up behind him!

Your beloved Tigers are going to have to get past the Rays or Sox first. The Yankees will be busy giving the Rangers a thorough thrashing, which lines CC up to counter your beloved Verlander twice as well. Those two games will come down to offense. I like the Yankees chances.

i told some co-workers and of course my family. no real negitive comments. The ones before the

band were the hard ones.. Got banded on 9/21. Will be a week tommorow. Havent ate anything solid. But i did go back to my instant carnation Breakfast 8 oz twice a day. can anyone tell me how their first meal went and when it was?

I didn't tell anyone but immediate family before the surgery. I was not going to tell anyone after the surgery but I started telling a few people and all I got was support. No one had anything negative to say. Now that could be because I am sometimes perceived as a b***h and they are too afraid to! HAHAHA!!! Really though, it is a personal decision to tell others, I don't broadcast my band, but if someone compliments me on my weight loss and asks what I am doing, I tell them. I also make sure they know this is the hardest thing I have ever had to do for my health and that I am proud of the decision i made for myself and my family. There may be a few certain people in your life that you really don't want to tell, in my case, my mother-in-law. I don't tell her for HER sake!! She is not the nicest person and I would hate to have to cuss out my husband's mother!! :lol::lol::lol:

Your beloved Tigers are going to have to get past the Rays or Sox first. The Yankees will be busy giving the Rangers a thorough thrashing, which lines CC up to counter your beloved Verlander twice as well. Those two games will come down to offense. I like the Yankees chances.

Actually, the AL first round playoffs are yet to be determined. Whichever team between Detroit and Texas has the better record will play the wildcard. The other will play the Yankees. Right now, they have identical records with one game left, so it will depend on what happens tomorrow. I wouldn't be too confident if you do face Texas first. They're a darn good team this year. As for CC, he's awesome but Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez won't have too much trouble against him. Besides, if we do face each other in round 2, there's no guarantee that JV and CC will face each other at all.

Sorry, onmyway11. I didn't mean to highjack your thread!

good morning... One week down... lost 12 pounds.. been very emotional.. food is calling me and i know i cant eat it... this is hard. But im determined to make it work and learn the right way to eat.

good morning... One week down... lost 12 pounds.. been very emotional.. food is calling me and i know i cant eat it... this is hard. But im determined to make it work and learn the right way to eat.

Its calling me too! I've had my ups and downs: some days I feel like I've eaten healthy, and sensibly and am fine, others are like the old days, where I feel like nothing will satisfy me.....

I haven't told ANYONE about my band. My husband told his brother, and his brother said, "the easy way out", so NOT true!

I told my closest girlfriends and immediate family only. I told co-workers I was having surgery but that I didn't want to discuss it. I reassured them that I was fine & didn't have a life threatening illness (at thus point). And that I had to be on a very specialized diet. I told them this the day before starting my 2 week pre-op diet. During that time I got my head wrapped around a lot if things & of course lost weight on that diet so my confidence increased. I decided to fill them in on my last day if work. N

Only a few asked me some questions and they seemed really supportive. I'm glad I told them, but I'm happy with the way I went about it. It's what I needed to do for me, at that time.

Good luck...go with your gut!

I didnt broadcast it....but I also didnt hide it. Most of my close friends knew and now when people ask how I have lost weight ...sometimes I tell them I got the lap band. sometimes I tell them I have been dieting. Both of course are the truth. Most people dont ask anymore questions. The ones that do are usually interested in the info for themself or a loved one and I am happy to discuss it.

When I requested time off for the surgery I told my boss I was having a surgical procedure. He asked what was wrong (and while its not really his business since I have gobs of vacation time) I just said it was a stomach issue. He didnt ask anymore... I didnt volunteer.