Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op and Post-op food

I start my pre- op diet next wed and I need to go to the store to get what I am going to need for before and after...

SO... Before I need what... Like Protein Shakes and what else?

HELP!!!

I just read what is needed on the LapBand My Journey site-

For after surgery:

supply of ice chips for sipping

Thin, clear broths, such as chicken or beef

Skim milk

no-sugar added popsicles, fruit juice

My pre-op diet was pure Protein anything (any meat), Protein Shakes, sugar free jello/puddings, and sugar free popsicles. Usually your doctor gives you a list of what and when you can eat after the surgery. For me the first week after surgery was protein shakes, the sugar free items mentioned above, plus clear broths such as chicken broth, vegetable broth, and beef broth. The 2nd week was pureed foods, so Soups that you can puree in a blender, scrambled eggs mashed real well, vegetable juices, fruit juices, apple sauce (not sweetened), oatmeal, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes and yams (all mashed well or blended), low fat cottage cheese, yogurt, blended meats (tuna, fish, chicken, hamburger), and baby foods stages 1 or 2. The 3rd week was soft foods, so no more blending of items and could add soft fruits, steamed vegetables. By the 4th week it's back to normal foods but make sure you are only eating 3 oz of protein (with EVERY meal) and about a cup of vegables, having some fruit for Snacks inbetween my meals. I've only really been about able to eat only a cup of food all together, not a cup of vegetables at all. I do try and get some fruit in there at some point during the day. And I'm still having issues with getting in all the protein that is recommended. Sometimes I'd just rather eat the vegetables and not any protein at all, but I guess that's not good for ya and you need the protein to help with the healing process and for weight loss and feeling full and such. Still working the program, and just following the doctors orders. See your nutritionalist and they should be able to give you a list and helpful guidelines on what to follow for after surgery. I've seen so many different posts out here, but the best bet is just to follow the doctors orders and go from there. Good luck

I think I am very lucky that my 1st week postop diet is thin liquids, not just clear. As long as it will run off a spoon and is strained from all solids, it is on the list. So I just took a can of vegetable beef Soup and pureed it in the blender with Water. Strained it and heated up half a cup. I feel like I am in heaven right now. It tasted better than any prime rib I ever had. LOL

My pre op diet was 3 pints skimmed milk and 2 no fat yoghurts per day, I asked and managed to change it to 2 pints and4 yoghurts. Only for 9 days none or very little hunger v surprised! Post op frozen slimfast, 3 days add mini yoghurts 5 days add Soup. Everyone is different so listen to your body.

My doctor gave me a shopping list. So I thought I would share it with you.

Low Sodium chicken, Beef, and Vegetable broth.

sugar free Jello

sugar free Popsicles

Sugar Free koolaid tea, crystal light

Sherbet

Fat Free Milk

chewable Vitamin

Cheable Calcium

Tyenol Extra Strength Adult Rapid Blast

Maalox Advanced or Mylanta Classic (look for simethicone listed under active ingredients) for gas pains

Benefiber - they said to put in the protine shakes it will help get you back to normal after surgery if you start taking it during pre-op

Flavored Water

Tomato juice

Apple juice

Thats just some of the list. The rest is optional items as they would say.