Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Drink Coffee After Lap Band Surgery ?

I havent given up anything since I got my band! I still drink coffee, alcohol, and whatever else I want that I used to have! I do focus more on Protein than I used to but otherwise I just eat less of the same stuff.

I had my surgery on May 27th and haven't had caffeine since. My coworkers are concerned with my memory and I feel like I am experiencing dementia. I was told that coffee is a no..no because of dehydration. This makes no sense to me as I can drink fluids easily now. So...after reading all of your responses (thank you) I think I will soon take up coffee again. If I still can't think straight I'll have to chalk it up to old age ! :)

Hahaha!! Love your comment! Drink the coffee already!

I am, also, a coffee drinker. I can't function without a "real" cup of coffee. I cam even smell the difference in de-cafe. In a emergency, I will drink it, but it does nothing foe me! I need that morning coffee. Goodluck. Karen

Caffeine causing irritation and an erosion (or gastric ulcer for those who are not banded) has been disproven in the medical literature more than ten years ago. If your health care professional (!) is saying thats why you shouldnt have coffee they are practicing old out of date medicine...be careful!

I drink around 3 cups of coffee a day with no problems, i also use skimmed milk frothed up so i get my frothy coffee fix without the calories :)

I'm such a cheater with caffeine. xD It's actually and appetite stimulant. That's why the doctors don't want you to have it. Everything in moderation. :)

I turned out okay. -shrug-

I work at Starbucks. Without coffee, I am nothing! I've only been banded about five days now, and haven't had coffee since -- when I go back to work in a couple of days, I'll probably have to start with tea and slowly work myself back to it. I may just have to do a short brew with cream and a half a splenda for a while!

I do drink coffee. I love my coffee! I am not an agreeable person without my coffee!

I drink 2-3 cups daily, haven't had any issues over the years!

Personally, I can't tell the difference between regular and Decaf coffee, so I just stick to the decaf :)

I drink one to-go mug of coffee per day. On the weekends I may have 2 depending on how social I am and no complaints here!

Hello all,

I am very new to this site and will be banded on Friday!! WOOT!

In reading everyones responses about coffee with caffeine or caffeine beverages in general, I remember from all my diets that you should avoid caffeine because it is a stimulant. Thus it stimulates hunger!

I drink good quality strong coffee with cream, my doctor has not said I will need to stop, but I may be in for a rude awakening on saturday morning!!

I have always been a little confused by the information regarding coffee from a few posters here, the information in the uk from my surgeon is that coffee is fine. It certainly is regarded as more of a small help to weight loss than a hinderance in the UK. I found a good article including info from the mayo clinic which i hope will help some of you ............

The idea that drinking coffee can keep you from getting hungry and aid in losing weight is a common one, and it may be true to an extent. As you might expect, there is more to it than that. While there is some evidence to suggest that drinking coffee will ward off hunger, there is also evidence that a weight-loss plan based around excessive coffee drinking could be misguided.Related Searches:

1. Appetite Suppressant

• Yes, coffee is a natural appetite suppressant to a certain extent, because of its caffeine content. According to the Mayo Clinic, caffeine may reduce your desire to eat for a brief time, but there is not enough evidence to state that long-term consumption will help with weight loss.
      When hunger strikes, coffee can come to rescue for the moment. Naturalstrongappetitesuppressants.com says that one way to stop hunger, and keep it at bay for three hours, is to eat a handful (no more than 10) of peanuts and chase them with a few sips of coffee. This combination is said to nullify hunger within minutes. However, eating a comparable 30-calorie snack of any kind may stop hunger just as well if you give it a few minutes for the signal to be relayed to your brain. How much longer the caffeine in coffee will stop hunger is the key question, and the results may vary for different people.

Coffee and Weight Loss

• In addition to the beverage's potential ability to control hunger, there are a couple of reasons why coffee may be effective in jumpstarting a weight-loss plan. Caffeine night stimulate thermogenesis, according the Mayo Clinic. Thermogenesis is a way the body produces heat and energy by digesting food and "burning" calories. Coffee also acts as a diuretic, which may cause some people to urinate more frequently and at higher volumes. This process will eliminate Water weight from the body, and could seem to indicate quick weight loss. However, the loss does not indicate a reduction in fat deposits, and metabolic processes can be stressed by functional dehydration.

Side Effects

• Too much coffee or other heavily caffeinated beverages can lead to nervousness, restlessness and insomnia, and while black coffee may be effective for short-term appetite control, specialty coffees with high fat and sugar content are likely cause weight gain.

Read more: Does Coffee Suppress Your Appetite? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/way_5404063_coffee-suppress-appetite.html#ixzz1eyqqgonh

coffee is like oxygen!!! I often go out for coffee - well I used to in New Zealand, Australia and other places I've visted. Here in Malaysia I haven't really found anywhere that serves really good coffee.

I've resorted to buying my own plunger - which is a major departure in my coffee drinking exploits - and going to Starbucks!!! I'm in shock!

Spending - too much discretionary income on it and its definitely over USD25 pw.

I could not live with out my coffee..... i drink a couple cups a day and sometimes at night before supper.

I still drink about 6-8oz of Mt. Dew most days. I have given up a lot... but those two won't be on my list.

Every dr. is different.... listen to your body and do what you feel is right for you.