Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any men getting ready for Sept banding?

Hi Guys,

I am enjoying following all your progress as I hope to some day be banded myself. My first appointment is Oct 12 so I am just starting this journey. One of the tips I have picked up along the way is to have some Gas-X and a heating pad at home and ready to go after surgery. Gas pains are apparentley quite the norm after surgery.

All the best,

- Jim

Wow.... Yesterday evening/night wasn't what I would consider a good one for me. Last night (about 30-36 hours post surgery) I started experiencing some pretty severe abdominal pain & cramping. I felt like I had diarrhea, but nothing would 'move'. I figured it was just some gas in my intestines wanting to get out because I hadn't passed gas even once since the surgery. I was suffering for a good 2-3 hours before I finally was able to pass gas - OH MY GOODNESS - it felt SO GOOD!!!! I have been a farting machine even since then... I feel like almost all of the air that was pumped into me is basically gone. I finally feel so much closer to normal. Still not hungry, but able to finally drink enough fluids! Only consumed about 500 calories yesterday, only about 200 so far today.

Ok, maybe some of that was a little TMI...

Hope you're feeling better my friend. Good info re the gas situation, I can warn the wife to expect much farting! Gary

Hi Guys,

I am enjoying following all your progress as I hope to some day be banded myself. My first appointment is Oct 12 so I am just starting this journey. One of the tips I have picked up along the way is to have some Gas-X and a heating pad at home and ready to go after surgery. Gas pains are apparentley quite the norm after surgery.

All the best,

- Jim

Welcome Jim, good to hear from you. This is day 5 of my pre op diet today so I'm getting ready for surgery on the 29th Sept. Looking forward to it mainly but the prospect is slighly scary also. Not finding the pre op diet easy but I'm sticking to it rigidly! Keep in touch. Gary

Hope you're feeling better my friend. Good info re the gas situation, I can warn the wife to expect much farting! Gary

Feeling SO MUCH better!!! I have been up & about and basically living my life normally since about 72 hours post-op.

I actually decided to weigh in today (5 days post-op) & I have lost just under 6 pounds since my surgery

I lost 14lbs on the first 9 days on the pre-op diet. i get my banding on Wed and I can't wait. I will make a post as soon as I get home from the hospital.

Hi Everyone, This site has been really useful to me but I would really like to communicate with any men out there, who, like myself are getting ready for a band this month. I live in Scotland and I start my pre op diet this Wednesday 15th with my op set for the 29th. I am both looking forward to it but not maybe the diet I need to follow for the next 2 weeks. I can see a few bad moods coming on!

Hi Gashman,

I am scheduled for my op in Belgium on the 30th the day after yours. I have just been told to follow a low fat diet for the next couple of weeks but no more detail than that. I guess it varies from person to person and also Surgeon to Surgeon. Good luck with your op, I will swop notes with you in a couple of weeks.

I lost 14lbs on the first 9 days on the pre-op diet. i get my banding on Wed and I can't wait. I will make a post as soon as I get home from the hospital.

The old liquid diet certainly gets the diet off to a great start, 14lbs down already. Hope your surgery goes perfectly well and let us know once you get your typing fingers back in action.

Hi Gashman,

I am scheduled for my op in Belgium on the 30th the day after yours. I have just been told to follow a low fat diet for the next couple of weeks but no more detail than that. I guess it varies from person to person and also Surgeon to Surgeon. Good luck with your op, I will swop notes with you in a couple of weeks.

There is such a variety of pre op diets. I was quite pleased with mine, porridge, Soups, jelly (or Jello for my US buddies), custard, yoghurt etc. Pretty tasty stuff and not a Protein shake in sight thankfully. I am on that for 2 weeks before and the exact same diet for 2 weeks after. It would be nice to eat something that requires to be chewed but hey, it's temporary! You going from the UK to Belgium? Gary

Gary: Ticker help:

When you go to the Ticker Factory page and enter your password to edit your ticker, on completion it shows you the image of your updated ticker. Right-click the image and Copy it. Then back here, tunnel down to the page where you update your signature. Click into the signature text edit box, then right-click and Paste the image there. Click after the image, and enter any text you want to add below the image. Once you like the layout of the signature box, click the Save button at the bottom. It should get you where you want to be.

I figured out it's easier to work with a copy and paste of the ticker image, rather than mess with the ticker URL and HTTP text. it may be the LBT software isn't user friendly enough. But I just did the above, and it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Ha Ha So true about the moods. I started my Pre Op on the 10th. I am being sliced and diced on 23 Sept. and just had my pre admission testing done today. I'm Excited, Scared out of my mind and happy at the same time. I had to do 6 months for the insurance co and in that time I dropped 20 pounds. I am very looking forward to solid food again.

Rgds

Jon

There is such a variety of pre op diets. I was quite pleased with mine, porridge, Soups, jelly (or Jello for my US buddies), custard, yoghurt etc. Pretty tasty stuff and not a Protein shake in sight thankfully. I am on that for 2 weeks before and the exact same diet for 2 weeks after. It would be nice to eat something that requires to be chewed but hey, it's temporary! You going from the UK to Belgium? Gary

Yes indeed, my Surgeon is a Dr Chris De Buyne. There are quite a few post on this site that sing his praises so hopefully things should goe well. Are you having yours in the UK?

Oh my you are lucky. Mine is shakes shakes and more Shakes Oh and 1 cup of greens and then more shakes. something about liver shrinking.

Rgds

Jon

Oh my you are lucky. Mine is shakes shakes and more Shakes Oh and 1 cup of greens and then more shakes. something about liver shrinking.

Rgds

Jon

Jon, the purpose of the liquid diet is to try and shrink your liver. It is a very large organ, sitting all the way across your midsection, blocking access to your upper stomach. It needs to be moved out of the way during surgery, so the band can be more easily placed around the upper stomach. Your liver can be reduced in size by as much as 15%, making your surgeon's job easier, damage to your insides less likely, and your recovery easier.

Hang in there - you'll be done with it soon enough.

Dave

Gary: Ticker help:

When you go to the Ticker Factory page and enter your password to edit your ticker, on completion it shows you the image of your updated ticker. Right-click the image and Copy it. Then back here, tunnel down to the page where you update your signature. Click into the signature text edit box, then right-click and Paste the image there. Click after the image, and enter any text you want to add below the image. Once you like the layout of the signature box, click the Save button at the bottom. It should get you where you want to be.

I figured out it's easier to work with a copy and paste of the ticker image, rather than mess with the ticker URL and HTTP text. it may be the LBT software isn't user friendly enough. But I just did the above, and it worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Dave, you are a star, that is exactly what I am going to do! Thanks a lot. Gary

Yes indeed, my Surgeon is a Dr Chris De Buyne. There are quite a few post on this site that sing his praises so hopefully things should goe well. Are you having yours in the UK?

Hi Jon, Yes, I live in Glasgow and I have Ross Hall (BMI) hospital literally right round the corner so its convenient and I have been there a number of times for bits of me that have gone wrong. They have been great I have to say.