Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are people afraid to call their doctors

I have noticed when going through the forums that people post questions that their doctors should be answering. Like I am having chest pain is this normal, I have discomfort or pain. These questions should be answered by your doctor. Chest pain could mean a pulmonary embolism and kind of pain could be abnormal. Opinions will not help you if something goes wrong and just because others experienced the same symptoms yours may be different. Your doctors are getting paid for being up all night if you need them. They are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week and that is what they get paid to do. Dont be afraid to call them with any questions you might have.

You're right!

Your Dr is also the person you should be talking to if you want to advance your post op diet ahead of schedule. Instead people come on here and say is it OK or I have done this is it so bad.

As a support group we can give tips etc on how to stick with the diet even when it is hard as we have all been there. But we should not be saying yeah sure go ahead do this/that/whatever against what a persons individual Dr has recommended. I can imagine in the future someone trying to sue the group or a member if something goes wrong.

I totally agree. Or people saying that they are throwing up, cant keep anything down, not losing weight, or in a lot of pain and they are 3 weeks or more past their operation date. So it makes me think is there another side to this story? Maybe they are wanting validation for something the doctor has told them is a no-no.

I agree with all of you. This site is good for support but we should not rely on others for medical advice. My surgeon won't even give me medical advice over the phone. He has said - I'm sorry but you'll have to make the drive in to see me because I really can't diagnose you over the phone - and I agree with him. The one time I called him to discuss my skin infection was more to ask when he wanted to see me (because things had changed) not if he wanted to see me. And he saw me 2 hours later.

That said, I have come on here with questions (about my skin infection). And I have been to the doctor and surgeon and walk-in clinic 6 times for just this infection.

For me it was looking for a little more information, hoping to find someone that dealt with the same/similar issue and had a positive outcome, or find someone that had to have another surgery but after being re-banded had no problems. I was looking for hope and some reassurance that everything would be ok. I wasn't really looking for medical advice.

Sometimes, I think people come on when they can't get to their regular surgeon/clinic right away, don't need emergency care and are just waiting for the morning or to make an appointment. I find that understandable.

Some of us were banded in Mexico! Were we have no doctor. Its the pros and cons of getting lap band. I have come here previously for advice on what to do.

Yes I was able to pay cash for my band and the doctor is wonderful, but It can get VERY expensive running to a doctor to tell them everything is okay. Reassurance

IMO is why people ask questions.

Good point Mindy!

Although I am also self-pay as banding is not covered in Canada (at least not Ontario) my clinic covers everything for 5 years. Also, being Canadian I often forget the luxury we have of being able to go to the dr. or hospital whenever we need to and not having to pay for it. Well, unless you count the fact that our taxes are atrocious but that's another discussion altogether. LOL

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking questions but people do need to be careful about what kind of advice they are giving. And advice from another bandster should never be taken over that of your doctor or surgeon or in place of a doctor or surgeon.

Even if you were banded out of the country or self pay and dont have a doctor here if your are having chest pain, leg pain, throwing up, having pain you should go to the ER then not ask people what it could be. I dont think that asking medical questions should be here. We are not in a position to give medical advise when something could really be wrong.