Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much weight do you expect to lose in your 1st month?

Try to remember that your body's first priority isn't to lose weight... It's to heal. My weight stalled for two weeks and I even gained a few pounds now I'm back down and have lost a couple more. I'm 6 weeks out from surgery. It will come off :-)

I was told by my doctor that the first 6 weeks after surgery are for healing period, NOT weight loss. If I lose some then (which I have) then that's great, but not to expect anything at all or even to gain a few before my first fill. I'm not worried about the weight, just worried about not getting any shoulder or neck pain. I've had it twice and the first time it was so bad that I ended up in the ER for it. NEVER again do I want that pain. Remember this is a journey, not a race. I am in it for the long hall, not the short term goal of losing it so fast that my skin hangs on me! I'll be happy to lose 30 lbs by Christmas and be a happy camper for it. I have yet to be released for the gym, but am hoping to be released for the gym tomorrow when I see my doctor. Just try and do the best you can and the weight will come off when you are eating healthy foods!

I went to the gym this morning. I can't lift weights though for another 2 weeks which sucks.

Honestly, it seems that many people aren't told by their doctors that huge weight loss is not the standard after surgery and then they get down and discouraged when it doesn't happen. We have heard over and over again that it is a time of healing and that is so true. I lost at a snails pace in the beginning and over 8 months lost approx. 40 lbs.

I wanted to use my scale to target practice. But I kept going...working out ith a personal trainer, watching what I ate and now I am at my goal weight and maintaining.

We didn't gain the weight overnight and remember that the Lap Band helps us to lose the weight slowly and to keep it off. It gets us off the weight loss roller coaster for the first time in our lives, but you can't compare yourself to others and what they lose. Some people lose weight differently than others. People who need to lose more, may lose mroe quickly then plateau, while some may lose slowly and then see consistent steady drops.

We are all individuals, so don't beat yourself up., ok?

Hugs to you all!!

-Stephanie

What about all the weight loss in pre op diet. Does that stay off? I hope so cause it is falling off right now! I can handle a slow bit after surery if i know this stays off!

Awesome reply.

I was told by my doctor that the first 6 weeks after surgery are for healing period, NOT weight loss. If I lose some then (which I have) then that's great, but not to expect anything at all or even to gain a few before my first fill. I'm not worried about the weight, just worried about not getting any shoulder or neck pain. I've had it twice and the first time it was so bad that I ended up in the ER for it. NEVER again do I want that pain. Remember this is a journey, not a race. I am in it for the long hall, not the short term goal of losing it so fast that my skin hangs on me! I'll be happy to lose 30 lbs by Christmas and be a happy camper for it. I have yet to be released for the gym, but am hoping to be released for the gym tomorrow when I see my doctor. Just try and do the best you can and the weight will come off when you are eating healthy foods!

I'd love to lose ten pounds, but, will try and keep it real and not have huge expectations! I'm more curious about how much I will lose in six months, then a year, etc.

Yeah, I've been on the preop since August 27. I've lost 7.5 lbs. And that's more than the scale has moved in a while. I'm having plication too which should help a little before the first fill so I'm hoping to lose abou 5 more lbs by the first fill. Maybe unrealistic but I won't be unhappy either way. Surgery monday!

event.png

What about all the weight loss in pre op diet. Does that stay off? I hope so cause it is falling off right now! I can handle a slow bit after surery if i know this stays off!