Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starvation Mode questions

Hi,

I am 7 days post op and I have a question regardling Starvation Mode. I know what it is and I've been told over and over again that you will not lose if you drop too many calories. Your body will go into starvation mode and not lose any weight. But, since we are on really limited diets post-op with a small number of calories, does that mean I'm in starvation mode?

So i'm confused on how lap band patients can all be losing weight when they are basically in starvation mode. Or is starvation mode just a red herring? Or does the body just give up and start buring fat after a certain amount of time??

I'm confused. Help!!! Opinions needed.

I don't know much about it, but I did find a good article that seems to explain the myths around starvation mode. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the article, but it comes from weightwatchers.com.....fairly reputable.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501&sc=801

there tends to be a lot of argument over "starvation mode" but at any rate, you're only eating such a low amount of calories for a relatively short period of time after surgery, so it's not really anything for you to worry about

:)

I guess my fear is that for 2 weeks I'm eating less than 500 calories a day then when I start solid food I will gain weight back. Or I'll stall. I know my working out will balance some things out and calories burned, but my metabolism is weird. I plateau frequently on any diet. I have to eat junk food for one day and then my body will start to burn again.

Right now is about healing, not losing. When you go back to solids you will probably gain a little or at least plateau for a week or two. It's normal and all part of the process. Just relax and follow the doctor's instructions. You'll be fine and the weight will drop when it's time.

The one thing that you don't want to do is join The Starvation Nation...

I can't answer in full details but,, I can tell you what I know.

A lot of it has to do with your Matabilisum.

Example: live on 600 calories a day, lose weight until it stops.

Then you might say I am going to add something to my Diet because I am starving.

So you up in 50 calories. (that's not much.)

What happens ? you will gain weight ! Because your body is not use to that higher amount of calories.

It's best to stay between 1000-1200 calories a day. Flectuate so your system is use to it.

Go to myfitnesspal.com It's free ! fill out the info on you and it will calculate your daily intake for you.

Calories, Protein, exercise is calculated also.

A lot of us are there. So give it a try, and see what it comes up with for you. Then follow your calories, and Protein. It WORKS !

I know your new, and you can only take in what your body lets you. That's fine, and don't worry about that.

This info is for your future, so please check into it.

Shirley

Ok one step at the time! I'll concentrate on just healing for now. I just saw that topic on another board And got alarmed.

It's all very easy.

Just relax, and enjoy for now.

When you get there, (comfort zone for you) .

Check out the myfitnesspal.com it is a learner, and a life saver.

No reason to be alarmed, were all doing this together.....

I just don't want to eat too much. Today I had one Protein Shake, lots of Water and diet juice and less than a half of a bowl of chilli which left me stuffed. Or maybe I shouldn't worry about portions?

I don't know much about it, but I did find a good article that seems to explain the myths around starvation mode. I can't vouch for the accuracy of the article, but it comes from weightwatchers.com.....fairly reputable.

Interesting article :) Thanks for sharing!

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35501&sc=801

Do you have a idea on what the calories were for the chili that you had ? Or was it measured like 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup.

Then if you only were to have eaten 1/2 of what you took ? how to figure out your calories, and Protein....

That's where the myfitnesspal.com will take the guessing out of your job. (and that is your job...)

If it's homemade or canned or sometimes from a Restaurant (common Chain) It's usually on there list of foods.

You just entered the measured ammount. click ! and it's there for you to watch through the day.

This site is one of many tools that can be used, to help you with your band. I'm sure you know that exercise is also a tool that is needed for your success.

Measuring, and recording your intake is also your job. This site can take the guess work out of it, and be accurate. Also, record your exercise, view other peoples diary,

(what they are eating) this gives you tips. , chat, and everything is kept in memory.

So,,, if your not sure about did I eat enough, or to much ? Newbies are on there too, and doing the same thing you would be doing, and finding answers to their questions.

You can always post a question, and get a couple of answers to it. Just tell them your a Newbie, and could use some help..... They will gladly help you,

So take a look at it, and give it a shot. It can't hurt ! You might just find it useful.

I'm 2 weeks post op and i've lost 20 pounds. I was worried about the same thing you are. I eat very little amounts every 2 hours to try to avoid this. I figure if my body is getting food every couple of hours, it won't go into starvation mode. This seems to working for me because i've lost 20 pounds and i'm consuming about 600 calories a day.

I just had surgery Thursday and I am making myself drink approx 1 shake a day....I need to figure out how to get more in me but I am just not hungry at all.

Do u drink chicken broth? I did that my first few days. I'm not thar hungry either, but sometimes I get headaches and feel weak so I force myself to eat.