Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The REAL truth about recovery....

Im so excited! After 8 months of classes, phone interviews, meetings etc. I have been approved for realize band surgery on Sept 26th 2011 just yesterday. I have some concerns about getting back to life tho. I may have to reschedule to a week later because of work issues and then I am scheduled to go on a girls weekend Oct 15th. If I reschedule I will only be 2 weeks out. Im not concerned about what I will eat only if I will still be adjusting i.e. vomiting or feeling sick. I dont want to put this off till the end of Oct Im so ready and anxious. Any advise you have would be appreciated.

Also since I started this weight loss journey I have been involved in a "bootcamp" type class at my gym. Doctor says 4 weeks but I was wondering what your experiences were getting back to exercise. Its a pretty strenuous class. He also said recovery was similar to gallbladder surgery which I had and remember thinking was easy.

Thanks for your time :)

Im so excited! After 8 months of classes, phone interviews, meetings etc. I have been approved for realize band surgery on Sept 26th 2011 just yesterday. I have some concerns about getting back to life tho. I may have to reschedule to a week later because of work issues and then I am scheduled to go on a girls weekend Oct 15th. If I reschedule I will only be 2 weeks out. Im not concerned about what I will eat only if I will still be adjusting i.e. vomiting or feeling sick. I dont want to put this off till the end of Oct Im so ready and anxious. Any advise you have would be appreciated.

Also since I started this weight loss journey I have been involved in a "bootcamp" type class at my gym. Doctor says 4 weeks but I was wondering what your experiences were getting back to exercise. Its a pretty strenuous class. He also said recovery was similar to gallbladder surgery which I had and remember thinking was easy.

Thanks for your time :)

Hi there. I will tell you my experience. I had gallbladder surgery when I was 25 and lap band surgery when I was 48. In addition to my lap band, I had hiatial hernia repair. For me, this was alot more painful than gallbladder surgery BUT well worth it as in 29 days I am down 33 pounds. Also, I'm 23 years older so age I'm sure had something to do with that. My surgery was on a Tuesday and I had planned on going back to work on Monday. I ended up going back 2 weeks after surgery and it was still probably a bit early only because I was still extremly weak. It took another week to get back into the groove of things but all things are good now. Take care and good luck to you.

I had the band surgery, an appendectomy and gallbladder surgery all within 3 months of each other and I thought the band surgery was the easiest.

I had surgery on a Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. I felt okay. My incisions and stomach were sore after surgery but the real pain that I had was the gas. I had severe shoulder pain for a couple of weeks after - still get it now if I eat or drink too much - it was referred pain from the phrenic nerve. I went away to a wedding for the weekend 2 weeks after and I had a great time.

My doctor made me wait six weeks to exercise but every dr. is different. I worked out with a trainer at 6 weeks and it was intense and I had no trouble at all.

Good Luck!

Truth is: Everyone is different. I'm 56 and had a hiatal hernia fixed at the same time I had my band installed. When I woke up, I had pain in my shoulder but I was given pain meds for it - 3 days worth. I never used even half of it. I was up and running in 48 hours but my doc did not allow me to drive for a week! And no lifting more than 20 lbs for another 6 weeks. I felt really fine in a couple days but obeyed Doctors orders. I decided my way hadn't worked all these years so it was time to commit to the banded life. I have not regretted it for even one minute. I feel so much better and have so much more energy - even this early in the game. I have my 3rd fill scheduled next week and I know I'm getting close to my "green zone". Looking forward to moving in "the Zone". B)

I too had a hiatal hernia, did not know i had it, repaired when i got my band placed. I had my gallbladder out over 9 years ago, had 3 small incisions with that and thought it was way more painful than the lapband recovery that had 5 incisions. The pain was not all that bad, just took OTC advil as i am allergic to all pain killers, the gas was the bad part, and the shoulder pain. I am 32 lbs down and do not regret one bit, even when i had a lovely vomiting episode a few weeks ago. that was not fun.

good luck to you and your new journey.