Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Erosion, The Real Facts

Penni, Lisa, Michelle, Donali, Francesca, Karen, and others...

Thanks for support, care and Love!

I have the highest respect for all you and what you've been through.

:crazy:

As for everyone else, "can't we all just get along??" I come here for love and support. If I want insults and fighting I can just invite my family over for dinner.:target:

Heather: This cracked me up. Comic relief was needed.

:target: Oh, my God this is getting ugly!! I know we are all entitled to our opinions, but come on!!!!

For the record, I started ugly!

To all the eroded bandsters: Your presence makes this place stronger and you are inspiration and hope personified.

Now then, I shall go and sit in the corner and think about the bad things I have done.

For the record, I started ugly!

To all the eroded bandsters: Your presence makes this place stronger and you are inspiration and hope personified.

Now then, I shall go and sit in the corner and think about the bad things I have done.

dogs dont do bad things,,

we just wer'nt trained right.

I am truly speechless. I don't even know what to say one way or the other. So I guess I will just let you all know I am here but not posting.

AAAAAAAAAAAH! You posted! Caught you! :target:

Look, bottom line is this. For the doctors, if a patient decides they need to complain to you or others because of the care they have received, they have every right to do so. And those who have paid for it themselves have even more of an "investment" into all of this. I think that sometimes surgeons lose site of the fact that many people who have this done save every penny for it, and are taking a big risk health wise and financially. For a surgeon to make a comment like the ones that have been thrown around here are surprising to say the least. If I was wanting more business I would not be making such comments on a board like this one. You want your appearance here to be one of compassion and caring, not of sarcasm and ridicule. And whether it is meant that way or n ot, it is certainly how it came across. Got to remember...we are a bunch of fat and formerly fat people. We have tender feelings and roiled emotions already. :crazy:

As for surgeries in Mexico...My grandmother always used to say "One person's palace is another person's shithouse." Do your research, listen to experiences, but there is no way you will know every single detail possible. Just make the most informed choice possible. I feel comfortable with my choice of Dr. Sanchez. But part of that is knowing that if something goes wrong...he takes care of it. And I have spoken to people who have had to have him correct things. I know this is a fact. Seems there are some surgeons out there willing to offer a guarantee on their work. That gives me hope and trust.

I cry at some of the stories here. I feel for the folks who have eroded or had some other complications. I sweat over decisions that aren't in my hands. I worry and pray for test results and dr. appts that my fellow LBTers go to. This is damned near a family situation here. We are tied to something, and not just tied by the band, but tied by a common history. A common story. And a common journey. To trivialize anyone's experiences and trials is to trivialize your own. It all comes back to the golden rule, which we have so kindly been made aware is "Do unto others..."

Amy

"...Enough about that."

<snip>

If your band has eroded, get on with your life. Stop obsessing about your Band. You might consider having a gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy.

Mark Pleatman MD

www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman

Well, I've seen it all.

In all my years researching, studying, observing and working in this industry I thought I had seen or heard everything.

This man is kidding, right?

I mean, he is verifiably a doctor (University of Cincinnati Medical School, 1977) but he obviously skipped that vital class in COMPASSION.

The utter complete lack of either sympathy or empathy for a patient who enters ANY weight loss journey with good faith, then ends up with a defective or removed band is mind-boggling.

Unfortunately he is in network at the insurance company where I used to work. Fortunately because I didn't know him or his work personally, I never referred a bariatric patient to him myself, although I saw many go through him. I'm sure Dr Pleatman is an excellent surgeon, but as a person this post would suggest he has a lot to learn about humanity.

I'm really disgusted and disappointed.

Delara, I understand that you had a terrible band ordeal and lousy aftercare. You didn’t deserve that. I have much empathy for what you’ve gone through. However, I also think that what you’ve gone through has clouded your judgment and opinions. You make blanket statements about EVERY SINGLE Mexican surgeon.

<O:p</O:p

“Someone please call Dr. Ortiz back and have him quantify his post with factual data”.<O:p></O:p

I think you should call Dr. Ortiz and ask him! I not trying to be a smart a**, I really think you should call him. Unlike your original surgeon Dr. Ortiz has his cell phone on 24/7. I know he’ll take your call and talk to you! The number is 619-***-****. We’ll be waiting for your post to tell us what he says.

<O:p

Why did you feel the need to “drag the original post through the mud”? Then this statement, “writing a book based largely on his personal opinions that are not backed by facts”. I thought the book was great. As far as the facts he states being only his opinions, I’ve copied and pasted the books list of collaborators here.. looks pretty impressive to me..

I wish to thank the following individuals and groups for their collaboration and support in writing and completing this book. With this combined wealth of knowledge, our goal of providing an up to date and complete book on the LAP-BAND has become a reality.

Mitiku Belachew, MD is not only the inventor of the LAP-BAND System, but also the first surgeon ever to place a LAP-BAND in Sept of 1993. He lives and practices surgery in Huy, Belgium. He is also my mentor and spiritual godfather. <O:p</O:p

Lee Grossbard, MD has one of the most successful LAP-BAND practices in the United States. He is considered one of the top experts and travels frequently proctoring other surgeons and as an invited speaker to LAP-BAND seminars around the US. He is also a personal friend and admirable example to follow. <O:p</O:p

Franco Favretti, MD is a pioneer in Gastric banding. He paved the way for the success of the LAP-BAND around the world. He practices at the Obesity Center of the University of Padua, Italy. <O:p</O:p

Roberto Rumbaut, MD is another famous name from Mexico. He is the leader in LAP-BANDing in Mexico and is a band patient himself. He is credited with teaching numerous surgeons worldwide the technique and has one of the busiest LAP-BAND centers in Monterrey, Mexico. <O:p</O:p

John Dixon, MD has been with the LAP-BAND since the beginning, and is the author of numerous studies on the benefits of the LAP-BAND. He is credited with scientifically proving all the major health benefits and advantages of the LAP-BAND. <O:p</O:p

Jaime Ponce, MD, also a Latin name, is a top leader in LAP-BAND surgery in the United States. He has developed a number of techniques and instruments and travels around the US proctoring other surgeons. He has a very successful practice in Dalton, Georgia. <O:p</O:p

Terry Simpson, MD, author of the book, Weight-loss Surgery, a Lighter Look at a Heavy Subject, is also a recognized weight-loss surgeon in his field. He is one of a handful of surgeons that perform the Biliopancreatic Diversion in the United States. <O:p</O:p

Arturo Martinez, MD, a Bariatric Surgeon, has designed and implemented a number of safety protocols and surgical techniques related to the LAP-BAND surgery. He practices with me at Obesity Control Center in Tijuana and Cancun, Mexico. <O:p</O:p

Velma Moreno Bandy is president of V&V enterprises and is considered an expert in the field of reimbursement and insurance coverage on the LAP-BAND. <O:p</O:p

Bart Bandy is Junior Vice President of Inamed Health and has been with the company since the birth of the LAP-BAND. His dedication to perfection created an initial learning protocol followed around the world and has proved the major determining factor for success with the LAP-BAND around the world. His philosophy: safety and efficiency. <O:p</O:p

Vern Vincent shares the credits for helping design the LAP-BAND and implementing its use. He has traveled extensively around the world, teaching others the techniques of the LAP-BAND and still actively works on design and innovation at Inamed Health.

Big Dog, may I ask what your wife's complications were? I want to know as much as possible before being banded.

And I am really happy that the eroded bandsters are here, they can offer people insight and support in case it happens to them, PLUS they need support as well.

But to all, I know this subject can bring about some intense emotions, but can we try to get our point across to each other, especially if we disagree, without being insulting or condesending? Remember, we are all in this together.:target:

This is absolutely rediculous. We are never going to have any health care providers come onto this board and help us out if we continue to behave this way. Sure, you don't have to agree with what they say...or how they say it. But we are cutting off our noses to spite our faces, if you ask me. Instead of attacking, why not ask questions?

I have met almost every person that has eroded so far in person- and I love you all like sisters. I have cried for each and every one of you. I have mourned the loss of your dreams and your band. I still think of all of you every day and every time I PB. This forum needs you. I need you. But please stop attacking the two doctors who have tried to help us understand just because you don't agree with them. Take if off LBT.

Megan

. We are never going to have any health care providers come onto this board and help us out if we continue to behave this way. Sure, you don't have to agree with what they say...or how they say it. But we are cutting off our noses to spite our faces, if you ask me.

This is part of my concern as well. Doctors are a huge resource.

As a surgeon doing bariatric as well as other general surgeon, I was shocked to read the suggestion that the surgoen insure the patient against future medical bills. When I do an operation such as LapBand or gastric bypass, I promise my patients that I will take care of them and not charge any more for problems after the surgery, but there is no way that I can afford to pay for all their future medical expenses relating to complications. Hospital bills can be astronomical, especially in the USA. That's why we prefer to take care of patients with insurance, as we don't want to put our patients in the poorhouse as a result of an unforseeable complication. Enough about that.

I know Dr. Ortiz well... he trained me as well as numerous US surgeons. I have seen his clinic and watched him operate in Tijuana, and I would recommend him to anyone. We all have complications. It's a fact of life. There is a saying that the only surgeons who don't have complications are the ones that don't operate.

If your band has eroded, get on with your life. Stop obsessing about your Band. You might consider having a gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy.

Mark Pleatman MD

www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman

Well without having read all the posts in between, that just rammed home two things for me. One, there are many doctors making a buck with obesity surgery who have no freaking idea of the emotional journey we take when we undergo it. Choosing a surgeon for this is like choosing an obstetrician, its somebody who you hope to have a long respectful relationship with and I've been appalled at stories I've heard from people about how little understanding their doctors have shown. TYou bare your soul to them afterall. This was just another example. What, is weight loss surgery the next big money spinner, but you hate fat people?

And two, how very glad I am that I live in Australia. For a measly $3,000 I have my band AND I have guaranteed aftercare FOR EVER and that INCLUDES revision surgery if necessary. I know our health systems operate very differently but this should be the case for everyone.

Guest myband

I feel the same as you Jachut, very glad that I am banded in Australia.

I asked my surgeon last week, what if I ever had to have another band placed for whatever reason and he said all surgery in relation to the band.........new band, whatever, care, fills, follow up etc...........free

I paid $2,700 out of pocket.

I only wish all of you had it so easy to be able to get the band and care without such high costs. Drs in Australia rule the roost with Insurance Co,

and tell them who is elegible for banding or not.

Geeez people... Here is my thoughts:

I am on Government medicade and it was impossible to get the gastric bypass or the band as it was EXCLUDED EVEN with all the evidence and comorbidities in the world (of witch I had..and with the right insurence would of been approved in a minute.)

I HAD to self pay and THE only reason I was able to is because I finally got SSI.. and a backpay and I used the backpay monies I received.

I could NEVER get a credit card, I could NEVEr be approved for a loan, I have NO family whatsoever that could have helped me. This backpay was the only money I have ever came close to having in the 10,000 range.

I WOULD of chose America over Mexico.. of course I would, this is where I live. But I had NO fears or qualms about going to Mexico.. and I still dont. I have been treated far worse here on occasions. I think my whole experience with ORTIZ has been great.

I am only a year out. If I erode. I hope I will not blame ORtiz or Mexico in general, if I do it will likely be out of stress and out of control feelings of greif. I know it happens. I hope it doesnt happen to me. I know if it does, it was MY fault for thinking I could spend that money on myself, and maybe shoulda just got my kids a trailer to live in and let my self outta this world fot the better

I am not embarrassed to admit, well I am, that IF I lost my band AND I saw NO HOPE of being able to have the GASTRIC BYPASS in place of it (MEANING MY INSURENCE will have to have to be covering it OR SOMETHING that deosnt involve me having any money.. cuz I never will have any.. EVER)

I would probably say goodbye to this world. I know that seems so dramatic, but before I got this band and even during the first few months.. I was certain in my head that If it didnt work, I refused to be a burdon to my kids, and this life any longer.. my absence would be hard on people I know, but It would be best after everyone greived and got over it.. I really was completely ready to go.. I do not see death as this horrible thing.. but me and my eventual health complications and lack of self care and blah blah blah.. I am not one to live like that.

I want the gastric Bypass.. I dont care what the complications of it are becasue I am ready to not live anyway if I cant get well...

This is if my band fails from ersoion or simply isnt working for me (I fear this is very likely)

So faR so good, (I am NOT suicidal in the leaste.. I hope thats clear.)

I kinda agree with the doctors here, FOr me, its all about losing weight and THATS IT.. Whatever it takes medically intervention.

Whew! I'm sorry I went to bed early last night. This thread has a lot of valuable information and...interesting...opinions in it, but it has come perilously close to crossing the line on personal attacks. If that continues we will have to lock it.

Megan has an excellent point. Any surgeon who comes here to express opinions or share his experience should be welcomed, not jumped on. How many of us have had doctors suggest alternate procedures to us to our faces? Do we jump on them then? No.

Surgeons have a different point of view than their patients, that's perfectly understandable. People cut their surgeons slack on the "bedside manner" thing ALL THE TIME in face-to-face encounters, and I hope we'd do the same thing online. Obviously compassion and understanding are valuable qualities in a healthcare provider, and I've seen nothing that indicates any surgeon here is devoid of those qualities. Perhaps the suggestion could have been worded differently, but the advice is sound.

As has been said on several other threads, erosion is not the end of the world. My surgeon's office doesn't even consider it an emergency, since the process is so slow and it doesn't automatically mean there will be a leak of gastric contents. The stomach is healing itself at the same rate that the band is doing the damage, which is why it's often asymptomatic. Yes, the band will need to be removed because if it's not, it will eventually end up inside the stomach doing nothing. But it's not a life-threatening emergency and having it removed is, thankfully, a complete fix.

Personally, I'm very glad that other options will still be there in that case, and I'm not at all insulted by someone suggesting a different procedure if someday the band no longer does the job for me. It will be up to ME to decide what the next move is--no one else's opinion matters in the least.