Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting Banded 8/24 Really Nervous about after pain

I can't believe it is only 10 more days until my banding. I have waited so long and had totally committed to the journey. I quit smoking back in June and went to all my appointments and did everything I was supposed to. Now I am nervous reading all the posts on after pain. i am a big baby and I burned my arm tonight while cooking and groaned about the pain for over an hour. I am also pertrified to be put under anesthesia with the tube down my throat and all. I keep thinking what if I don't wake up, what if something goes wrong. I hope this is normal pre thoughts because I have come to far to ruin it all. My youngest who is 11 is very unhappy that I am going to do this and that doesn't really help but I no she loves me and is just scared.

I am having the surgery on August 23rd and I am scared as well. I am afraid of a lot of things... the surgery and what if I go through all this and don't lose weight. My daughter is 13 and she feels the same way but I explained that I am doing this for us....

I told her that I need to be healthy and happy to be a great mom. The post about slipping and throwing up, getting stuck, losing hair and last but not least the possible hole you can get in your stomach scare me to pieces.

Being nervous before surgery is perfectly normal but just remember that complications are actually rare. And if you follow your surgeon's guidelines before and after having your band placed, you have a pretty good chance of NOT suffering the issues you read about on these forums. The really great part about these forums is that they let us learn from each other about what may happen and, if it does, how to cope with it. Good luck!

i just has surgery 5 days ago and really if you take your pain meds on time its not too bad. I had my gall bladder removed 11 years ago and that pain was much worst. Just follow thw doctors orders and you will be good. I too was very worried about pain i am a wimp but so far i am dealing okay. My biggest tip is to walk and walk some more it helps so much.

Just to ease your pain, less than 1% die so u will be fine. Just remember pain is temporary. Just think how great you will feel in month, by Christmas, a year from now.! Don't worry, God is right there beside you!

None of us would be here if we hadn't been in pain already. What about the pain of knowing that your kids are teased at school because of how you look? What about the pain of no one sitting next to you on public transportation? What about the pain of untimely splits in seams or popped buttons? How about the pain of trying on new clothing? What about the pain of wiping yourself turning into a major engineering project? What about the pain of sleep apnea and high blood pressure and diabetes and out of control cholesterol?

Any sort of outside intervention is an attempt to invite a certain amount of pain so as to stop a larger source of pain. Talk about risks - the biggest one out there, for people like us, is doing nothing. The days before banding were not easy for me, I had the same fears. But knowing that things were soon going to be different was very gratifying. Spend your time saying goodbye to a lot of misery, and look forward to a new start when you wake up. We will be there for you!

i just had it on the 10th, and the process is so much better than you imagine!

Totally normal to be nervous. I was nervous too but you will see that it is much easier that you expected.

I was teary once I got into the hospital gown and the nurses and doctors were SO understanding. I was just nervous.

When they roll you into the room, they just put a mask on you and you breathe in like 3 times and you don't remember a thing after that. I didn't know I had a tube down my throat - I hadn't even thought of it until I had a little scratchy voice after surgery.

I had all the same worries that you are having but seriously, it was a piece of cake. I also had very minimal post-op pain. I used the liquid prescription pain medication the day after surgery, then liquid Tylenol the next day and haven't even needed to take so much as a Tylenol in the 8 months since!

You'll be fine. It's ok to be nervous. Just realize how many of us here say that we would do it again in a heartbeat. I know I would. I wouldn't steer you wrong. It was easy for me.

I was also afraid... but I remember sliding onto the table and saying to my doctor, "OK, let's make me beautiful" before I took my three breaths. I felt like I had been worked over in an alley for the next few days, and took liquid tylenol a few times, but something else kicked in right way besides the pain: the knowledge that this was it... that things were going to be different from here on in. I was barely hungry during my week on liquids, and remember this as being a terrific blessing and relief. Finally, the monkey was off my back, I lost 30 pounds during the first month! I think that first week was really important for me - I can always come back to knowing that I lived a week without food and nothing happened to me. Good luck, again: your great adventure is about to begin!

just had the surgery 6 days ago, pain from insision and laproscopic surgery is very very minimal, be careful of vicadin, if you dont have pain, dont take it, take liquid tylenol, i became so constipated and dehydrated that i ended up in the ER with an IV to give me fluids because I didnt follow instructions which is why I am giving you a heads up...... just take the pain reliever if you need it for a day or two but be very very careful of Constipation and take ducalax for that and gas X,,,, most important.... this is the lesson I have learned the hard way.....

WALK WALK WALK

DRINK DRINK

AND FOLLOW ALL OF YOUR DOCTORS RULES

I can't believe it is only 10 more days until my banding. I have waited so long and had totally committed to the journey. I quit smoking back in June and went to all my appointments and did everything I was supposed to. Now I am nervous reading all the posts on after pain. i am a big baby and I burned my arm tonight while cooking and groaned about the pain for over an hour. I am also pertrified to be put under anesthesia with the tube down my throat and all. I keep thinking what if I don't wake up, what if something goes wrong. I hope this is normal pre thoughts because I have come to far to ruin it all. My youngest who is 11 is very unhappy that I am going to do this and that doesn't really help but I no she loves me and is just scared.

Just saw that you have Dr. Madan, thats my doctor as well, I had the surgery on the 9th and you are so lucky, he is amazing and caring, my Constipation was very rare because I had a muscle relaxer for big back pain before surgery- and it constipated me so I hadnt had a bowel movement for 5 days before surgery or the surgery would have been a breeze, Dr. Madan was there for me, he is fabulous..... good luck.... my e-mail is sheryl52@mindspring.com and I will be very very happy to hold your hand if you want to e-mail. take care.

My surgery is tomorrow morning and I am getting really nervous. After reading over your posts it has reminded me that this is the best thing for me and I will be so happy in the end. I am worried about pain but I know I can get through it. B)

My surgery is tomorrow morning ...

Wow,,, will be wishing you well from the Holy Land all day long and putting in the good word for you with the man upstairs, they say it's just a local call from here. Good luck, go get 'em!

Thank you all for your support. Having people to talk to that have gone through it or will be going through it helps so much. Good luck tomorrow Kristenaz I will be thinking about you.

I see you have your surgery tomorrow. I am so excited for you. Got you in prayers and look forward to hearing from you .

:)

My surgery is tomorrow morning and I am getting really nervous. After reading over your posts it has reminded me that this is the best thing for me and I will be so happy in the end. I am worried about pain but I know I can get through it. B)