Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I agree with most of the posts about the negativity. I came on here to get answers. I have never had surgery before so my first week post op I listened to my body more than I ever have because I was scared I could do something to ruin it. I was calling my doctors office way too much so that is when I decided to come on here and talk to people that are exactly where I am at. I also (two days after surgery) read some of these posts and thought to myself that this was a mistake! Between people losing 15 lbs in 6 months to slippage, to pain, to vomiting, to having bypass AFTER the band. I was traumatized for a couple days and with the pain I was going through I was scared I would not be strong enough to really change my life.

With that, I just started worrying about myself. I think I realized that there are some doctors out there that make you go through the extensive appointments/research/classes that I had to. I was lucky that my insurance company didn't make me diet before hand, I was approved right away. BUT my doctor was the tough one. I went through this for 10 months before I had surgery and I was reassured the whole way. I was educated, I was tested, and I was told to get into counseling to deal with the food issues and why I chose to be so destructive to my body. My doctor would not do the surgery unless my mental health was being healed as well and I am grateful that he did because that is what really saved me. Once my surgery was done I decided to stay in counseling because she is my sanctuary. I get to say what I want and not be judged which is where the food came in, along with learning how to love myself a little bit more everyday.

With that, I think I am lucky to have such a wonderful support system and even though I get scared here and there I come on here to find answers and it make me feel better. You have the power to choose which ones you read so I suggest that you stick to the positive and realize that EVERYONE is different. Live with your band in your way and listen to your body, you know it best! God Bless....

I felt the exact same way before my surgery. Gosh, why am I going to go through with this surgery if all these people are so negative and having so many problems. However, with that said, I received a TON of support on this site and went through with it.

THEN, it comes to me...now negative nilly because I'm frustrated with my lack of progress, thinking I'm doing the right things to find out that I'm still screwing up but in a different way. Honestly, the past few months I've done a lot of venting here and have really been seeking some advice from those who have done well. I've had things clarified for me and I've come away with some good information. So yes, I come here to vent and whine but I get the most awesome, awesome feedback, suggestions and help from people. Everyone, well, almost everyone on here, is amazing with suggestions, support and advice! Everyone is different on how they are with the band so getting a bunch of feedback is so helpful to try different things that might work for you. I'm 4 months post op right now and I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out.

I've learned that you have to take the good with the bad....there are some awesome success stories on here. There are some who haven't succeed but it seems like the success outweighs those who haven't. There is a section of Lapband Success Stories and I go to them for inspiration at times.

I can totally relate to your concerns, but I don't know what I would have done without this site. I've learned things from the negative posts too. I've learned that "yeah, I'm doing that too" and I've learned "okay, lets not do that" - - so you can work it however you want.

Good luck to you....

Staci

All I can say is that the response has been overwhelming. I am thankful for all the positive responses I have received. Although I have not responded to each one individually, I have read each and everyone of them. I know this is a long journey, and it won't be easy, but I am up for the challenge. I look forward to reading your blogs, I will be adding most of you as friends on here, and I wont hesitate to send you a message if I need some personal encouragement. I pray that you all achieve the results you desire to a more productive life, both inside and out. Be blessed - Nicole

Ask away,,,, that's what we are for! Were not Dr.'s !!!!! Just someone that's been through the hoops !

I found this board a few months before being banded and starting posting because I had some questions and it was basically in the name of research. By nature I am a positive person and have less patience than I probably should with people who are all about doom and gloom. I was 200 lbs overweight and if anyone should be whining it was me. But I chose to enjoy a successful, rich and fullfilling life inspite of my size. And when the struggle was too much for me to do on my own, I researched my options and decided on a lap band. I didnt even once think this wouldnt work.

Since being banded I have asked and answered some questions on this board about my personal experiences to readers whom with I share a common bond..... The band and a lifelong battle with my weight. I tend to skip the posts which are poor me because I have little patience for failure. If something isnt working like it should or like you thought it would... then get the tools you need and fix it. If you arent going to try to fix it... please dont whine about it.

That said.... it doesnt bother me if people feel the need to use this forum to gripe..... I dont have to read it. No different than in real life ... I don't have to listen to it.

I dont mean for this to appear cruel. That isnt my intent. I just think those of us who have been banded have taken a step to controlling our lives. That is a HUGE DEAL! Why let a few people spoil your party when you can ignore it? Shoot... this is even easier than real life.... you can ignore people without them knowing it. B)

remember, seems like alot more people come here with complaints and worries then the do when they are having success. I love my band. started 306 currently 224 pounds. Its works as long as you work with it.