Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Necessary Evil...

I am hoping thatafter I have my Lap Band procedure my relationship with food will be like it was during my childhood, adolesence and up through my twenties - a "necessity" - almost a Necessary Evil. All those years, I ate only when I was hungry and even then, not very much. I remember my mom yelling out to us, "Time to eat" and I would think, "Not again! I'm not even hungry!" She wouldn't let me leave the table until I ate at least one bite of everything. I guess that is why I was so thin. Don't get me wrong...I was not tying to be thin. I didn't "not eat" so I would stay thin. That was just the way I ate. I really can't put my finger on exactly when that relationship changed. It seems I went from "skinny" to "fat". I don't remember ever being a normall weight except for maybe one year. These days and for years prior, I can't believe the crap I put in my body - when I am NOT hungry. I still don't eat very much at one time - its just ALL the time. And, I am not healthy. I feel like crap all the time because of the excess weight. And the worst part is...no matter what I put in my mouth, I am labeling it "good", "bad", "healthy", "unhealthy". It's awful. Eating disorder, maybe???? So, that's why I say I hope to go back to not really even having a relationship with food after the Lap Band. I will eat when I am hungry and not eat very much...just like it was all those years ago! It sounds so simple. I know there will be more to it than that especially at first, but I just pray that the diet for the Lap Band will not take up so much of my time or my thoughts. I feel like I have missed out on so much since those days of not being obssessed with food.

Thanks for reading and good luck to all of you!

Welcome, and good luck.. I am sure that you can do it. But, you probably need to see a food psychologist to discuss your problem with food. My daughter, and I, both know what is good, bad and nutritious, for us. We both have had to have wls. It is easy to know what to do, but not a easy to do it. My number one thing was learning to only eat when I was truly hungry, not when someone told me it was time to eat. I still am battling that problem, after 2 years. hopefully. someday, I will win. Good luck, again. Karen

I would highly recommend a psychologist too, and to research the band more. The band helps with hunger. If youre eating and you're not hungry, the band really is not going to help you. The band is really not going to stop you from eating. From what I understand even at restriction you can still over eat, or just keep grazing. (I say from what I understand because I have basically no restriction, but I've changed my ways so honestly I probably could've done this without the band, had I been in the right mindset, I do have some though, because I do feel crappy if I eat to much at once). So you may want to research before jumping into this. I am not trying to talk you out of it, but I'm speaking honestly that if you think you'll just go back to eating only when you're hungry you're mistaken.

The ladies above are correct: The band will not stop you from overeating, or eating poorly. If you have food issues, you should address them before you have surgery. Even though the band will reduce the amount of food you can eat in one bite, you can take many bites over time, and still eat much more than is prudent.

This link may help you better understand the band, and how it works: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Good luck with your journey!

Dave

The ladies above are correct: The band will not stop you from overeating, or eating poorly. If you have food issues, you should address them before you have surgery. Even though the band will reduce the amount of food you can eat in one bite, you can take many bites over time, and still eat much more than is prudent.

This link may help you better understand the band, and how it works: http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Dave

I think you will still think about food on the lapband-the lapband seems to be my new addiction but I don't mind because it's a journey of well-being. I think overeaters are complusive by nature for the most part. Why not channel that compusive nature into living a healthy lifestyle that includes proper nutrition and exercise.

Good luck on your journey-you sound committed to the process!

This link may help you better understand the band, and how it works: http://drsimpson.net...estriction.html

Dave

I found Dr Simpson's website but not the Restriction link...I think you have a typo...can you repost?

I found Dr Simpson's website but not the Restriction link...I think you have a typo...can you repost?

MsVetRN, might this be what you are looking for? There's some good stuff here.

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-eating/lap-band-not-restriction/lap-band-and-restriction.html

Good Luck,

The band does not stop you from over eating or making bad choices. And sometimes in some people it does not ever stop hunger either. Sometimes you have to get 3 or 4 fills to reach the point of not being hungry but everyone is different. I would just say dont expect the band to work at 100% it does about 10% of the work you do 90% food only stays in your pouch less than a minute then it starts passing through so yes you can over eat with it and eat the wrong things with it also. You have to make the decison you will follow the DIET because it is a diet.

The band does not stop you from over eating or making bad choices. And sometimes in some people it does not ever stop hunger either. Sometimes you have to get 3 or 4 fills to reach the point of not being hungry but everyone is different. I would just say dont expect the band to work at 100% it does about 10% of the work you do 90% food only stays in your pouch less than a minute then it starts passing through so yes you can over eat with it and eat the wrong things with it also. You have to make the decison you will follow the DIET because it is a diet.

I don't think of this as a diet...I think of it as a lifestyle change. I don't want to be on a diet all my life and I won't be. I am learning how to eat and what to eat. I can still (or will be when I am ready) to eat everything I want....just not as much of it.

These ladies are correct in that the band does not keep you from making bad choices. However, I disagree that it will not help you with your eating disorder. I am a compulsive overeater/food addict. I have been for many many years, and have tried all sorts of diets that didn't work. I've even been to Overeaters Anonymous (which I do recommend if you are suffering from the same disorder), which helped but I needed more. I was banded in August 2009, and have since lost almost 160 pounds. Because I could not physically eat as much, the band forced me to find other ways to deal with my emotions. It is only recently that my compulsions have returned, but now I know how to deal with them and will not relapse as badly as I would have pre-band. Yes, you will have to learn how to control your addiction and compulsions, otherwise you will be in a tremendous pain. And the band is not full-proof and it will take a while to get to good restriction. After surgery you will probably be very motivated and will follow the rules to a T, which will help while you are in "bandster hell" (not having full restriction yet). I am a firm believer that the band can help you overcome compulsive overeating/food addiction. It is a disease you will live with the rest of your life (just like being an alcoholic or drug addict...our drug of choice is food), but if you have the right tools you can learn to live without food controlling you. As long as you stay focused and follow your doctor's directions, the band WILL work for you. It is very freeing when food no longer controls your life!