Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my surgery back in April and as the doctor said, I have not had any carbonated drinks. I certainly miss an occasional glass of my favorite champagne! Has anyone tried carbonated drinks since surgery? I ask because my mother had gastric bypass and was told not to have carbonated drinks but she can drink them just fine. I know that surgery is completely different, but I was wondering if anyone has drank carbonated drinks in small amounts? Thanks!

I got my surgery back in April and as the doctor said, I have not had any carbonated drinks. I certainly miss an occasional glass of my favorite champagne! Has anyone tried carbonated drinks since surgery? I ask because my mother had gastric bypass and was told not to have carbonated drinks but she can drink them just fine. I know that surgery is completely different, but I was wondering if anyone has drank carbonated drinks in small amounts? Thanks!

My surgeon actually says as long as you can tolerate them, you can drink them, but every surgeon is different. Talk to him about it, you never know what he might say.

If you decide to try them make sure you do it VERY moderately beacause they are emty calories that add up quickly. I haven't tried any since weeks before banding, but my dad had the by-pass surgery and drinks them just fine. But then again, he has also gained back most of his weight too. Good luck!

I've had a tiny sip twice and was ok. I have a banded friend that drinks dr pepper still after surgery and is doing ok but not losing as much. I've been more than 6 weeks without a daily can of coke and every so often I feel like I just need a big swig, but haven't acted on it!!

My nutritionist told me i could drink flat soda, but that just sounds gross!

Yes, I was craving a Diet Coke and ordered a small one at Sonic about a week ago. I had a few sips and was fine, but found it didn't quite satisfy me the way it used to. Maybe I've lost my taste for them. I figured that I really need to be trying to get in my Water, so why drink something that has no nutritional value?

This is good to hear. I currently drink diet coke when eating in restaurants. I really dread giving them up. I always thought as far as bad habits go, a couple of diet cokes in a week couldn't be too bad. Maybe I will lose my taste for them also. My nutritionist says no one needs caffeine or carbonated beverages. I have done pretty well. I drink Decaf tea with splenda at home, but I haven't given up the diet cokes at restaurants yet. At least I don't drink them at home.

Yes, I was craving a Diet Coke and ordered a small one at Sonic about a week ago. I had a few sips and was fine, but found it didn't quite satisfy me the way it used to. Maybe I've lost my taste for them. I figured that I really need to be trying to get in my Water, so why drink something that has no nutritional value?

I'm a champagne lover as well. I also like "fuzzy" waters and had them pre-op. I did ask my doctor about carbonated bevs during my appt. yesterday and she said as long as you can tolerate it, you can have the carbonated waters. I did not mention the champagne. I may miss my Diet Cokes but I love my weight-loss more.

I would say take it slow and try it. Apparently it is the bubbles that upset some of us bandsters so you won't know if you don't try.

Cheers!

May

I have an idea for you soda lovers. I use diet, but you can use regular, it just adds more calories. Dump some in your slow cooker with some meat - DELICIOUS!!! I've tried ham steak cooking in diet orange soda, tried ham steak with diet dr pepper, etc. There are lots of recipes out there. Sounds strange, but a really nice way to make your meat tender (as we all need) but have some of that soda flavor that we crave.

Amy

I'm a champagne lover as well. I also like "fuzzy" waters and had them pre-op. I did ask my doctor about carbonated bevs during my appt. yesterday and she said as long as you can tolerate it, you can have the carbonated waters. I did not mention the champagne. I may miss my Diet Cokes but I love my weight-loss more.

I would say take it slow and try it. Apparently it is the bubbles that upset some of us bandsters so you won't know if you don't try.

Cheers!

May

I had a glass of champagne, but drank it very, very slow,. Didn't enjoy it like I thought I would.

I personally don't drink carbonation as a regular thing at all, regular or diet. While the idea that carbonation will stretch the pouch, may or may not be a myth, I don't have any desire to use myself as a guinea pig to find out.

I do understand the craving for that tingly, scratchy cold feeling of the diet coke hitting the back of the throat... and have given in a few (maybe 3 or 4) times in the two plus years I've been banded.. poured a few ounces into a mug and drank enough to get that feeling and gave the rest of the can to my husband.

IMO an indulgence of soda or champagne on a special occasion would be fine, as long as it is sips and the occasions aren't too frequent.

The other reason to avoid sodas is that they leach Calcium out of the bones.. and with weight loss, we are at risk for losing Calcium out of our bones anyhow. I'm a case in point. My bone density has decreased by 20% since banding.

There are plenty of other things to drink besides carbonation. :) JMO

I dont drink soda and dont miss it at all. I find Water more appealing now then before. I drink Decaf coffee with regular sugar in it because I think that artificial sweeteners are a weight loss night mare. Ice cold water will do me fine any day.

I was told by my surgeon to use diet coke to get unstuck. I have done this a few times and not only did it work great I was also able to get that taste of soda. Of course do not get stuck just to have soda, ;-). But just two sips is enough to satisfy me. I buy the small cans so I do not waste so much. Good luck on your bubbly experiment.

I'm 2 years post op and can now drink carbonated drinks with no problem. This just recently started happening. The first year, I couldn't, once I tried to drink a monster, felt like I couldn't breath! I just took a sip of it. I'm still scared to try something like that but a soda, I can do now. My advice, try little sips to see how your body will react!

It's been a year since I have had soda and was doing fine without it but my kids brought home a stomach virus so for 2 days this week the only thing I could tolerate was some small sips of Coke. I sipped it all day long for 2 days with no problems. I don't plan to make it a permanent thing though.

I went about 6 mths after being banded before I tried Diet Coke. I tried it and everything went fine. I'm also like most of the above posters in that I can only drink a few sips at a time. It makes me burp really badly too. But I'm still around and kicking to tell this story! I've been banded almost 2 yrs now and have lost almost 100 lbs. I've got about 20 left to lose. I say if you can't stand it anymore without soda, try it. And since I rarely drink soda (about twice a month) I get regular instead of diet. It satisfies me more and I read somewhere that people who drink diet tend to be fatter.

Good luck!

Marci