Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

extreme hair loss :(

Hi guys, My hair has been falling out and thining so much I am begining to worry about going bald. Everytime I move many strands fall out. So I need suggestions tips and info on how to prevent this. I have read that Biotin helps and one article about Omega 3, 6, 8 supplements. I was wondering how much most of you take of each and if there is anything else I can do. I have also increased my Protein intake. I wash my hair everyday and wear a ponytail alot. Is this bad for increasing Hair loss? Will my hair grow back after I stop loosing weight or is this permant? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly apprcieated. Thank you so much :)

I'm a hair stylist and often have clients who have had surgery and/or lose a great deal of weight. I always suggest Biotin. It works. Protein helps prevent your hair from breaking... But not from falling out. Biotin helps your hair grow faster so it will help replace what is falling out. And yes, try not to wash your hair daily.... But younwoll notice that if you're only washing your hair every few days more will come out in the shower. But don't worry. The average person loses 100 strands of hair daily... It's just that your body has gone through trauma. But it will come back :-) also, wearing a ponytail daily causes breakage... And that's the last thing you need right now. I tell ladies whonarent even struggling with Hair loss not to wear a ponytail often... Not good for your hair :-) im sorry you're going through this... I'm sure it sucks. I'm only a week post op and am definitely not looking forward to this part of the journey. Good luck!

Oh also, you may want to consider changing to A professional Shampoo. The stuff from Walmart and drug stores hair different crap in your hair that causes breakage anyway :-)

I agree that it's from the shock to your body of loosing weight quickly. I went to the dermatologist when my hair was falling out and that's what he told me. He assured me I wouldn't go ball. I probably had Hair loss from about 5 months out until I was 10 months post-op, but I am not sure. I was lucky to have started with a thick head of hair. Try to hang in there, it should stop in a few months.

Thank you both the Biotin seems to be helping a little. Do either of you know if the fish, boric, flax oil helps. It is so gross! I read somewhere it helps but only once. If it doesn't I would love not to take it. Did you grow new hair back when it stopped falling out? I have always put blond highlights in my hair to brighten things up. I am thinking about just dying it all a soild darker color. I don't really want to, but if it would keep me from going bald I should. What do you guys think? Thanks again:)

I wouldn't bother taking that other stuff... And yes, you will grow new hair to replace what has fallen it... It just takes time. Your hair may even change textures. Everyone is different though. If I were you, I would color it one solid, darker shade. Blonde makes your hair appear thinner, and darker hair makes your hair appear thicker. Also, if you have long hair or layers, I would suggest cutting it shorter and more of a one length style. That also helps your hair appear thicker and fuller.

Hope that makes sense. It will get better after time :-)

Eat the Protein you need everyday and take the Biotein. They do help, don't wash daily and when you do use some condictioner instead of Shampoo. Keep the style simple so that you aren't putting extra stress on it. It needs some adjutment time for the diet change.

im just 5 days post op, so i'd like to be ahead of this, what dosage should i take of Biotin?

I ended up with ball spots. I finally went to a dermatologist and she told me the surgery, perming and coloring my hair was the problem. She did a biopsy, to make sure nothing else was going on. The results came out fine. I cut my hair off, lucky for me I have a nice shaped head. I went back to the dermatologist and she gave me a few cortisone shots and told me I could use Rogaine. But I have decided not to since my hair did finally start growing back. I am 11 months out and my weight came off very quickly. I lost 100 lbs. She also said to take 5000 mgs of Biotin.< /p>

OH, I have to admit this makes me nervous about getting banded. :huh:

On my way to the movies with my friend I stopped at GNC to see if I could find a chewable Vitamin that contained enough Biotin to keep my hair from falling out. The only thing they had was a liquid vitamin called Miracle 2000 Total Body Nutrition. I figured that I would just throw a capful of this stuff into one of my Protein Shakes and I wouldn't even know it was there. Wrong! The moment I opened it up the smell almost knocked me out. And even additional chocolate Syrup in my Protein Shake did not kill the taste. It has lovely ingredients like spirulina, garlic, peppermint, rosemary, and the list goes on. Looks and smells like swamp Water. I had better be darn healthy after drinking this stuff!

.Oh, by the way. Do go see "The Help". I have never been in a movie that had a standing ovation before. It was absolutely fantastic.

@theodoru GNC sells be-BEAUTIFUL (Hair - Skin - Nails) soft chews - acai berry flavor, they don't taste bad and they are chewable. I chew 2 a day and they don't taste bad.

My hair was coming out really bad about five months after surgery. Then it tapered off for a while. Now at 7 /12 months post op, it's still isn't right. My hairstylist noticed that it still isn't as thick as it used to be. I will start taking bioten also. Is 5000 mg the standard? I think I saw some at Walmart.< /p>

Biotin comes in 1,000 and 5,000 that I've seen. Some 5,000 mg are larger pills though so you'll want to find the small pills.

My doc recommended Biotin 1,000 MCG to be taken with Chelated Zinc, 50mg.

im just 5 days post op, so i'd like to be ahead of this, what dosage should i take of Biotin?