Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mother 38 & Daughter 17 possibly doing Lap Band Surgery together....

Hi:

I am 38 years old and 222 pounds and have a 17 year old daughter that is 250 pounds. I am in the process of collecting as much information as I can on the procedure. If our individual insurance covers us, we would both want to do it. If it would have to be self pay, then I would take our savings to do the procedure for my daughter first. We have tried every diet in the book and have been struggling with our weight our entire lives. Does anyone have any knowledge of any teens who have done the procedure? And what their experiences have been? We have our appointments next week to meet with our primary physicians and then at the end of the week with the lap band doctor. I'm nervous but hopeful, mostly for her as I want her to have every opportunity to live a normal healthy life without the weight and health issues that will eventually follow at her current size. Any feedback I could receive would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sophia, I think it's great that you are putting your daughter first. I hope your insurances will pay for both of you. You are still very young with a long life ahead of you too.

Sophia, I think it's great that you are putting your daughter first. I hope your insurances will pay for both of you. You are still very young with a long life ahead of you too.

Thank you Cindy. I hope so too. I think the same about her, I just want her to have the best chance at leading the healthiest, most productive life possible. She has a bit of insulance resistance, nothing that she has to take meds for as of yet, but the doctor did advise that it could be a contribution as to why it has always been so difficult for her to lose weight. I was reading some other forums last night and I got a bit nervous at some postings that some people wrote where the bands are not succesful past 7 years and that they have a warranty or something of only 10 years. Have you had the band a long time? Have any others here had the band a long time and what are their long term experiences?

I had my procedure done at Slimband in Toronto. One of their success stories on their website is a mother-daughter team. It might give some inspiration and confidence to you and your daughter. The website is www.slimband.com

I have only had my band since July 28 so I don't have any experience yet, really.

Take care and good luck to both of you!!

I had my procedure done at Slimband in Toronto. One of their success stories on their website is a mother-daughter team. It might give some inspiration and confidence to you and your daughter. The website is www.slimband.com

I have only had my band since July 28 so I don't have any experience yet, really.

Take care and good luck to both of you!!

Thank you, I will definitely look at the site and read their story!!!!! Good luck!!! Have you lost anything so far?

I was so excited to see this thread because I was banded November 29, 2010 at the age of 33, and we have just started my 17 year old daughter's 6 months supervised diet that is required by our insurance. I called my insurance to see if my daughter will have to follow the same steps as I did and was thrilled to find out that the requirements have not changed. I was approved because of my co-morbidities and because of my daughter's higher BMI, she does not need to have any. I hope for both of you that your insurance will pay for both of you and you can go on this journey together. Good luck to both of you on your journey!!!!

I think it's awesome that the two of you will have each other to get through such a life changing surgery! About 10 years ago my best friend had gastric bypass at the age of 18. She weighed 350+ pounds and got down to 175 in about a year and a half. It changed her life. Her mom had it down two years before she did and allowed her to have less health problems. I know that she healed quickly and did well with the surgery, but she did gain about half of the weigh back due to her stomach stretching back out. Which doesn't happen with LapBand unless you follow NOTHING the doctors say. Insurance wise, I don't know who you have, but it should be covered if her health is at risk. Some make you diet for 6 months to try and lose the weight and others, like mine just need 5 years of medical history proving the obesity. Good luck with all and I hope the two of you can do it together!!

Amy

There is a teen site here I believe. But this can be a truly amazing life change.I had hit my 50s before finding this. The questions have daily are would my children and husband been happier if I had lost 63lbs 15 years ago? The weight is depressing, you can't wear what your friends do and you really don't want to shop with them. Parties you won't attend because a gown or bathing suit might be needed. It is not an easy road, it takes :) commitment and understanding of how the tool can help you loose weight, but you must make good choices, I don't always. You must learn how to work with it not against it. Good luck to both of you, and as a friend if you like. I will respond to any questions you have. :rolleyes:

Thank you all very much for your encouraging words. We are both very excited about our appointments next week. How would I go about finding out what our individual insurance requirements are? Would the primary doctor's office find that out? Or would the lap band doctor's office find that out? They told me when I made the appointment for the lap doctor that they would verify insurance elgibility a day or 2 before the actual appt which is next Friday but I dont know if there is something I can be doing before hand to help the cause. We've been struggling with weight for well over 15+ years and have tried every diet in the world. We have our primary physician appts on Wed and then the lap band doctor on Friday. Any heads up I can get would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!!!!!

Thank you all very much for your encouraging words. We are both very excited about our appointments next week. How would I go about finding out what our individual insurance requirements are? Would the primary doctor's office find that out? Or would the lap band doctor's office find that out? They told me when I made the appointment for the lap doctor that they would verify insurance elgibility a day or 2 before the actual appt which is next Friday but I dont know if there is something I can be doing before hand to help the cause. We've been struggling with weight for well over 15+ years and have tried every diet in the world. We have our primary physician appts on Wed and then the lap band doctor on Friday. Any heads up I can get would be greatly appreciated, thank you all!!!!!

You can call your insurance's customer service and they will tell you if it is covered and what their requirements are. Or go to their website if they have one. I commend you on putting your daughter first. All the best to both of you. Keep us posted on your journey.

Melinda

You can call your insurance's customer service and they will tell you if it is covered and what their requirements are. Or go to their website if they have one. I commend you on putting your daughter first. All the best to both of you. Keep us posted on your journey.

Melinda

Thank you Melinda. I will definitely check the sites and or call customer service to find out.

Hi:

I am 38 years old and 222 pounds and have a 17 year old daughter that is 250 pounds. I am in the process of collecting as much information as I can on the procedure. If our individual insurance covers us, we would both want to do it. If it would have to be self pay, then I would take our savings to do the procedure for my daughter first. We have tried every diet in the book and have been struggling with our weight our entire lives. Does anyone have any knowledge of any teens who have done the procedure? And what their experiences have been? We have our appointments next week to meet with our primary physicians and then at the end of the week with the lap band doctor. I'm nervous but hopeful, mostly for her as I want her to have every opportunity to live a normal healthy life without the weight and health issues that will eventually follow at her current size. Any feedback I could receive would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

hey! i am 19 and my mom is 49 and we are doing the lapband together. waiting for a call from insurance but we think we're approved. super excited. glad im doing this young. if you want more info i would start floating around the weight loss community on youtube.