Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

DeLarla's DeBanded Den

Here's a special place for all us bandless wonders to call home. I'm DeLarla, and I lost my band due to erosion on 12/27/05, about 18 months after being banded. I've lost 78 pounds and am currently counting calories and struggling to lose more.

Come on in and introduce yourself. It's warm & cozy in here, and you're allowed to cuss and drink beer since one of the perks of being debanded is we can have carbonation!

Hi my name is La_Madam and I lost my band on November 28th due to erosion. I had my band for 19 awesome months and lost over 100 lbs. It has been 2 months since I lost my band, the first month was great and this past month...not so great

Right now I'm struggling to just maintain.....started hormone regimen 2 weeks ago that makes me hungry a crave food something fierce in the evenings..I am addicted to caffeine and am now taking appetitie suppressants just to not gain.. and like Delarla struggling to lose more

Thank you Delarla for starting this thread, us Debandsters need a place to feel warm and cozy and cuss..... @!*&@!$%!@*!@%$^

Welcome to the Love Shack, baby! Now that us bandless wonders have a place, how is everyone feeling?

My belly is strange. I still feel the band squeezing, so maybe my old hernia is acting up. I'm starving most of the time, but I'm determined to lose more weight. Even a pound a week would make me happy. But like Michelle, the stupid mo-fo #$%@*%!@ EVIL night food demons have a spell over me. Hey, we've tried every diet on Earth so far. We've even tried God and religion. But has anyone ever tried voodoo? Does anyone have a spell? I have a little voodoo doll. I think I'll dip it in ice cream and poke it.

Hi, my name is Donali and I was the first LBT erosion. Hopefully I am not responsible for this trend!!

I lost my band due to 40% erosion after 17 months. I lost 100 pounds with my band. I was unbanded July 2004, and since that time (in spite of STILL having some residual restriction) have gained most of that 100 pounds back. I don't know how much, exactly, because I don't weigh anymore. But I have gone from a tight 18 back to a 26. Still a couple sizes smaller than where I started, but not as fun as being an 18.

I continue to work on my habits. The worst one being not finding motivation to exercise. I do have a very small legitimate excuse for not doing certain types of exercises, but there are still lots of things I could do but don't. I'm working on that... :tired

OMG, our first three chartered members! And need I say how much I love you both? How did I get so lucky to find friends like you?

The worst one being not finding motivation to exercise.

I'm guilty of this too..every night while laying in bed fighting off the food demon, while being chained ot my bed so I wont go to the kitchen I say to myself " tomorrow I am going to exercise" and everyday I don't!

Tomorrow is a new day..maybe just maybe I will exercise

Hi, to everyone at the forum. I will be coming here quite alot from now on. I am having the lap-band done on 2/7/06. Also what a great site this is.

1] My question is after errosion can you do a rue-n-y procedure?

2] What do you feel caused the errosion?

3] Does this happen to everyone evenually or from a bad lap-band procedure?

Current wieght 402lbs.

Soon to be half a man.

I would also like to know:

Did you have pain or what? that caused the Dr to check for erosion?

Would taking the Fluid out have worked?

When removed did you have actual holes in your stomach to be sewed up from where the band sat:confused: ?

And I have a question too, but first I want to tell you all how sad I am. And how great I think it is that you all are still coming here for support.

Are you going to get rebanded? How long do you have to wait? Do you have any restriciton from the scar tissue?

Do you regret that you ever had it done?

After errosion can you do a rue-n-y procedure? Yes for me, no for someone else I know. One girl had her stomach cut during banding, which lead to complications, which lead to emergency band removal. She was told she could never have another weight loss surgical procedure.

2] What do you feel caused the errosion? Nobody can answer this. My doctor believes port infections will lead to erosion and some banding techniques having to do with stitches rubbing against the band, but nothing has been proved. Stomach irritant meds can lead to ulcers that can cause erosion. Even perfect bandster who follow all rules can erode.

Does this happen to everyone evenually or from a bad lap-band procedure? A bad lap band procedure (in my opinion) can definitely lead to erosion according to my surgeon. Incorrect placement of the band, for example. Or if the surgeon nicks your stomach (even a tiny nick) and doesn't fix it, it can become infected, which can lead to erosion.

Did you have pain or what? that caused the Dr to check for erosion? I had no pain, but the way my food digested felt way different than it used to when I was originally banded. Different noises, different sensations. None of my doctors would give me an endoscopy because my Upper GI came back fine. They refused to believe that I "knew my own body and knew I was eroded." So I had to fight for the endoscopy, which sure enough revealed erosion. Also, too many people that were banded by my surgeon around the same time had eroded, so I had valid reasons for suspicion.

Would taking the Fluid out have worked? No. The only cure for erosion is to remove the band and repair any preferations. Removing Fluid can fix a slipped band, but eroded bands must come out.

When removed did you have actual holes in your stomach to be sewed up from where the band sat. Yes, many of us had adhesions or preferations that had to be sewn up. The earlier the erosion is detected, the better chances for smaller holes (I think, anyway.)

Are you going to get rebanded? NO. Because I do not know the long term results of having my band removed. My belly is queasy and feels a little sick. I don't know if I have scars inside. If I do have scars, I don't know how they will develop over time. I wouldn't consider another band for several years, and I would ONLY get another if insurance covered it locally in the US.

Do you have any restriciton from the scar tissue? YES. I personally have a lot of restriction, but my unbanded friends don't. I had a hiatal hernia prior to banding, which felt like a very painful version of band restriction. When I woke up with my new band, the hernia didn't hurt any more but the pouch restriction was in the same area with no pain. I think my restriction has to do with my hernia. I feel tight in the same place as I did when banded and often joke that my surgeon forgot to remove the band. But maybe it's just swollen and scarred, so maybe the restriction will go away with time. I hope not!

Do you regret that you ever had it done? I regret going to Mexico. I regret not having patience to fight my insurance company. I do not regret getting banded. I've lost over 70 pounds and gained a whole new personality.

Did any one experience excessive acid reflux after disbanding ? It happened during the 2nd week and i feel that i am losing control in resolving it.

Thanks

private dancer 7

You may not get a response on this thread. The last post on here was over two years ago. I'm sure there are some more recent discussions on losing your band.