Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had real food for the first time yesterday and I kept feeling like something was caught in my chest. About 4 hours after I ate I ended up vomiting! What did I do wrong? I am supposed to be on mushies and I only ate a half cup of cheddar brocoli Soup. There were no large chunks of brocolli at all! I don't understand what I could have done wrong. Is it possible that the 1/2 cup was too much??!! Im so confused! I did have some chicken cream soup about 5 hours earlier about a 1/2 cup...and I am plicated as well. Is it possible not all of the food from lunch had digested and was still in my stomach?

IDK... I'd call your surgeon. Luckily I haven't had any issues but I am still on liquids for another week. I know if it was me... I'd call my doc. :unsure:

This most likely means you just ate to quickly. I had this issue soon post surgery and soon after I had a fill that was too tight. Your stomach and body are still getting used to it, so I was told that the food is pretty much caught in your esophagus - almost backed up - because you ate to quickly and your stomach can only hold so much. Just eat slower, smaller spoonfuls and hopefully you won't feel it again. Good luck!

Only on a forum like this would I ask this question. What did it look like when it came up? If there were no chunks then more than likely the food wasn't stuck. I have never heard of anyone getting stuck on Soup anyway. There should not have been anything from the previous meal still in your pouch. I would say just eat more slowly and make sure you stick to foods that do not have any kinds of chunks in them. Cottage cheese, yogurt without fruit, mashed potatoes, oatmeal and grits are some things that immediately come to mind.

Shortly after I got my band and was back on solids, I had all sorts of trouble with broccoli. Even if I ate small bites, something about broccoli tended to get stuck, or at least feel like it. So while I have no idea what caused you to get sick (it's called "productive burping" or PB, because you're vomiting from above the band, not below it) I'd think it may have been something about the broccoli. Next time, make sure all the parts are very small, chew anything of substance very well, and eat slowly. Give each bite a chance to move through the band before adding to it. Eating with a band is an acquired skill.

I'd call your doctor, and ask for a professional opinion.

Dave