Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2006 bandsters unite!!

Yay! I hit 20 lbs down :-) I've not really been paying attention to diet as I'm only 4 weeks post op, but not being able to gorge myself at any meal (my usual "meal" is dinner -- breakfast/lunch is a Protein Shake and a little snack) has made a huge difference! YAY!

Good Morning All!

Question...when did ya'll have your first post-op visit? The surgery center told me to schedule my first visit in one month. Sounds like most of you have already seen your doc a time or two before your first fill. Just curious.

Feeling ok. Getting hungry now....really hungry. My mushies aren't very (psychologically) satisfying, as I'm wanting variety and texture. (I'm a meat kinda gal) Oh well, 4 weeks isn't that much to "suffer" through for a new approach, right?

Still kinda confused on what is "allowed" and what is not on the 4 week post-op diet. I thought no sugar, no fat, etc. but then (when I wasn't feeling well) they said to have some milkshakes, tea/sugar, coffee, etc. as well as mashed potatoes. These don't seem like that great a food choice, nutritionally speaking, but is that just because we can't have solids?? I'm looking forward to being able to eat normal foods in smaller quantities....will that eventually happen or are some foods (like hamburger patties, tacos, pizza) off my diet for a lifetime?

Anyone have some "clarity" they could lend me??? Sigh.

Thanks for your support!

Nanster

Elisa - Congrats on 20 pounds gone FOREVER!!!! You go girl!!!!

Nanster - I have one more week to go on the post op diet as well. I have cottage cheese, mashed potatoes, and crackers in Soup...plus my Protein drinks. I can't tell you how much I HATE SOUP!!!!! I went and got my favorite Soup for dinner last night and I didn't eve like that!!! UGH! I can't wait for Monday the 20th to get here.

In terms of what will be off your diet forever...I don't know for certain, but I would say that a ton of it depends on what you can tolerate. I personally won't every try pizza again (and it is my ALL TIME favorite) b/c I am way to scared of PB'ing.

I think this is something that we will have to figure out together and as individuals.

I do feel you on the hunger....plus, I have been getting what I can only assume is low blood sugar. Driving me crazy b/c I end up feeling like crude most of the day. yucko.

Happy 1 month bandaversary to me! I can't believe that at this time (9:20am CST) one month ago today I was already in the recovery room and my surgery was over!

WOW! Check back later, but have a great morning everyone!

Good morning all.

Ok I ended up going home yesterday from work due too my little problem. I called the doctor and he said I was dehydrated and that the Constipation was normal at first. He had me due a fleet and then take three colace. He also recommend Benefiber everyday for a while. UGHHHH am I the only one who feels I am getting more than I bargined for?

Congrats to all of you who are lossing so much weight, I think it is wonderful that this is working for you.

Question did anyone else have to have a blood clot filter (because of a high BMI) before the surgery? My doctor said I was on "the cluff" but that he really recommended that I have it so I did. I just havent seen anyone else mention it here.

I go back to the doctor today at 4:00 for my first appt. since I have started eating, everyone cross your fingers that I havent gained any weight back.

Tammy - What is a blood clot filter? I had three shots of blood thinners into my tummy while I was in the hospital for surgery, but that was all I had done.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

While we are on the topic of more than we bargained for...has anyone noticed their hair drying out? I have been SO good about getting my 60 grams of Protein in but my hair is feeling like straw!

Anyone else?

Michelle-My hair is very dry also!!! I have been getting some hydrating leave in treatments from the salon. It has helped!

I have not lossed any weight since Surgery...I am feeling bummed! My family makes me feel that way also! They keep asking..so how much more have you lossed, and I will say "still the same"..and they just sit there and go "OH...I thought you would lose more after the surgery!" GREEEAAAAATT!!!! Make me feel good!

UGH...I am getting frustrated..anyone else?

I had a blood clot filter placed in my groin area the day before my surgery. My doctor, Dr Gritsus, requires it for anyone with a BMI over I think 54, dont hold me to that number but I was like 53. I am not sure the offical name of it but this is how it was described to me, it looks like an umbrella without any fabric, it is place in the low flow vein from the legs, it is place there to catch any blood clots that may form while in surgery. It was done at the hosiptal under local ant, and they had me in lala land so I didnt feel a thing. I did have one shot of blood thinner right before my surgery but none since then. He said this was a life saving tool should a blood clot form. The one I had done is temporary, I will have it removed in another couple of months after he does an ultrasound to make sure there are no clots at the sight, GOD forbid if there are the filter stays. But here is the interesting part, when it is removed the go into my neck and through my body to take it out, ewwwwwwwww I know but again he is putting me in lala land so I guess it will be OK.

Here is the site of my doctor .. http://laparosurgery.com/index.shtml

I do have to say he always errs on the side of caution, I am very pleased with him and his staff.

Yes my hair is actually dry too, and my skin seems drier than normal. One other thing I have noticed too, as a big woman I was always hot, now I am always cold for some reason. Anyone else notice a difference in being hot or cold?

Hi Tammy,

I didn't have a filter, but I did have blood thinner injected before surgery, compression stockings during and after, and am currently on blood-thinning injections every day that I have to give myself in my stomach. In addition, I have developed calf pain and am going today for an ultrasound of both calves to rule out any clots. I have to do the injections for a month all together. Now I kind of wish I had a filter placed so I could stop worrying so much. I worry about it all time so in a way, I envy you because at least your mind can be at ease knowing any potential clots would be caught. Maybe I'll ask my doctor to put one in...

Tammy - I have the same hot/cold problem. I am SO senstitive to the cold now.

I have a friend (who is banded) and her hubby had gastric...I asked them about it. Her hubby said that for him it was a side effect of loosing the weight. He also said that most people he knows that have WLS done go through the same thing.

I just hope it keeps up b/c I HATE to be hot and summer is fast approaching in Dallas!

Hi Sunta

I am sorry that you are going through all this worrying, the not knowing is the worse I think. I wished I knew the name of the filter, I had the compresser hoses on the day of the surgery but went home with nothing. The filter can stay or be taken out, depending on the results of the ultrasound, but I find it interesting that more women arent getting the filter. Mu doctor explained to me then heavier you are the more likely to set up blood clots, so to me its a no brainer. Now there are risks with the filter also, the filter can move and become just like a clot, that is where I guess you have to have faith in your doctor, I bet I drove mine crazy caused I asked every question under the sun. The filter can get turned sideways too and then it has to stay, but just like with the WLS the risks were weighted and the filter won!

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, please let me know how things turn out. I will try and get the name of that filter for you.

Ok I am with you Michelle, with summer fast approaching being cold wouldnt be a bad thing, its just new to me....there have been days where I swear my feet are sooo cold that if I dumped my toes they would break off. Hey but what do they say, Cold feet warm heart?

Elisa: WTG on the 20 pounds.

The only thing I had to do after surgery was wear compression socks for the first 24 hours. I haven't had any leg cramps at all so that's good.

I am not getting in all of the Protein right now. It's just way too hard for me being on the mushies diet. Thankfully, I haven't noticed any change in my hair yet. Just 11 more days of mushies and then I can start eating soft foods.

Stacey: Thanks for telling us what your fill was like. Don't worry- you'll start losing soon. My doc kept telling me that this is the healing time. Any weight loss is a bonus!

Hi everyone else!

Hi everyone! Wow, I missed a lot! :mad: Hopefully I caught everyone's questions so I can get my 2 cents in! :(

Sunta - so glad you got answers!! Hope you don't have a clot!

LBdancer & Dancer - thanks for the kind words! :D

Dancer - happy 1 month bandiversary! ;)

nanster - My first post-op was 1 week, but all they did was check our scars & ask if all was well. At 3 weeks we saw the nutritionist. Then our first fill is 5 weeks (supposed to be 6, but they moved it up for us, woot!)

Everyone -- congrats on the weight loss!!

I've heard Biotin is important for your hair, as well as Protein. Lots of folks have posted that they're supplementing it as well.

I'm dying on the diet, lol. I'm already past my breaking point... and probably shouldn't admit to this, but my habits are sneaking back to pre-op. I'm not happy about it... and am dealing with depression to boot. My doc says post-op depression is normal... so does the web, lol, but augh!! This whole dealio was supposed to help, not hurt!!

Oh well, we're off to therapy. Maybe I'll get brave & bring up some of my issues there! :star:

Hugs all around! :star:

Hey ya'll....I felt such restriction yesterday...and today I have been so hungry. I just had a fill on Tuesday.....this isn't right! I feel like I should be so stuffed with having the fill but I am soooo not. I am keeping with the diet, but GEEZ its hard. I am so frustrated. I feel like maybe I wasn't a good candidate for this....what do you all think?

Give it time!! How big is your band? 4cc? And he put in what, .5cc? It'll probably take a fill or 2 to even feel it, though some people feel it right away, so they have to be careful.

Hang in there!