Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2006 bandsters unite!!

Hey everyone, a quick update: I am feeling a bit better. The gas is not as painful (more of a discomfort than pain really), and the area near my ribs is alot better. I can now bend halfway down, get up from a chair with minimal pain, and even get in and out of a regular bed! (although I am still sleeping in a recliner.) The lingering problem is the acidy gas that bubbles around my stomach, chest, and throat all the time. Despite that, I was able to drink TWO Ensures yesterday!!! Woo Hoo! Plus lots of Water and tea! Who ever thought I would go from being a huge eater to celebrating being able to drink two Ensures? LOL! Well, I am really thirsty right now so am heading off to make some peppermint tea. Congratulations to all who have done so well and once again thank God for this board!!!

Congrats to everyone! Once again we all seem to be doing so well!

Would anyone mind a "me" post? :help: I have a dilema....My hubby is really wanting to tell his mother about my surgery. Says he feels like he is not being honest with her.

Before surgery he said that he didn't want to deal with it and that we would tell her after. Now that it is over with he says that the waiting will cause a real problem when we tell his mom.

I am very lucky and my husband's family and I are very close. But the thing is that his mom and sister are going to FREAK OUT! His sister has already told me that if I got it done that it was a bad idea and that she would be very mad at me.

It just sucks because I didn't get this much grief from my family! And I am an only child! I just don't want to hear it from his family. And I really feel like he won't step in and make them back off of me.

Anyone else have to deal with this?

Sorry to be so long winded, but I appreciate everyone taking the time to read and your support!

Hi Dancer,

Your husband's loyalty should be with YOU now. Does he tell her about EVERYTHING else? Does he tell her about his taxes? His driving habits? His sex life? It's time for him to realize that YOU are his family now. I know I sound kinda pushy but for crying out loud, this is your body and your choice. I think it should be your decision when the time is right to tell.

Good luck to you.

DonnaB

5' 9"

03-07-06 Surgery date

Dr. Roberto Rumbaut, Monterrey Mexico

275/150

I agree with Donna. It is your decision. You make it.

My husband told his mom, even though I told him not to. Of course the first thing she said was I hope she knows what she is doing, and she better research it. Like I didn't know that.

Thanks for your support.

Donna - I don't think you are pushy at all. We struggle with this in our marriage. He tells her everything...ok, not everything (thank goodness!). I just don't think I should have to tell.

And who cares that my parents know. I only told them because for me it was important that they be with me the day of surgery.

I really don't think I should ever have to tell them. Who cares if the notice my eating habits and question them. So what...I will deal with that.

I guess I just needed to hear the support from everyone else!

Ya'll really are the best! Thanks!:clap2:

Dear Dancer,

I am with you, I told my Mom but dared my husband to tell anyone. He doesnt even know my weight and I have told everyone on here. There are just somethings that women like to keep private and with me my weight issue is one of them. I mean you can look at me and tell I have a weight problem. It is easy for me to share here because I feel the people here arent here to judge. They have been my saving grace.

Try to not feel guilty for wanting to keep something very private and personal private and personal.

Good luck!

Welcome Gloria, glad you found us! Us Febsters keep trickling in! :confused:

I'm sooo glad to hear you're feeling better Sunta! I've been really worried about you! Hang in there!

Dancer, I'm with you on the not telling, though I was the worst about my mom. I built it up into this HUGE thing... but I knew if I hadn't told her by my surgery date she would be seriously offended.

When I told her, it was really easier then I expected & a huge weight was lifted. She was really supportive & except for a million questions, my biggest fan.

Of course, I can't speak for your situation. This entire process really is personal... I'd hope your hubby doesn't say when you have that time of the month, lol. And if he wouldn't tell about that... why would he think he can tell about surgery? :confused:

On the other hand, he's going to be going through a lot of changes with you & the support of his family may be important to him. But then again, it's important that he know that YOU'RE his family, not his extended family.

Yeah, ya know? I don't have a clue! But whatever you decide, it's your decision & I stand behind ya! :confused: At least the deed is done & nothing that happens can take that from you!!

((Hugs!!))

Morning all....

I hope that I can tolerate popcorn with my band! I know some people can some people can't. That might be something you post on the general disc. board so the people who have had one longer could shed some light.

I am down 20 lbs today!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap2:

What a great way to start a Wed. Hump day!! Hope everyone is doing well and will check in on the boards later today from work! Have a good one!

What about Slim Fast? Not sure if you can have that because I'm still waiting for my first appt to my pcp to even get started.

I use Slim Fast for when my stomach doesn't feel so great, works even when meds wouldn't:phanvan

Hey everyone,

I was doing really great and had lost about 15 pounds, and then this morning I got on the scale and I gained THREE pounds since yesterday!?!?! Obviously it's Water weight since I had about 600 calories yesterday! But I'm wondering what made me retain so much water. I did have chicken broth yesterday, which has a ton of sodium. I don't think it would be from the time of the month yet. Anyone else experience this?

Morning everyone!

Welcome to the new February bandsters that have joined! You will love it! We are all so new and it is great support!

Stacey - Congrats on the 20 lbs! Good job!!!

Sunta - not sure sweety. I bet if you drink some extra Water today it will be gone in the next couple of days. I imagine that was a shock to you this morning though! Hang in there!

Gloria37- Congrats on the 26 lbs! Way to go!

Janet - Thanks for you kind words. I hadn't thought of it the way you put it...he wouldn't be walking around tell if it was my time of the month...that cracked me up, but it is so true. If he just insists, I may suggest that we just tell her that I had my hyiatel (sp?) hernia repaired and leave it at that. By the way, where is your other half? How is he doing? I so wish my hubby would get this done. He would feel so much better.

Post op went great yesterday! Doc was happy with everything I am doing and I am healing well. I was as nervous! Now I just have to get through 3 more weeks of liquids and then 2 weeks of food processor food and 1 week of regular food before I can get my first fill. :cry Talk about feeling like this will take forever! But I know that this is a marathon and not a sprint.

The good news is that he said I can start working out. He said to do a little bit today and then see how I feel tomorrow. If I hurt, then stop doing it. I was excited about that. I don't care to work out, but for some reason I am bored and feel like a good walk would make me feel better!

Janet's other half is doing great!! Thanks for asking!!

This has actually gone incredibly smoothly for me... I haven't had any problems - no residual gas pain, no initial restriction, no issues at all!

Now I just have to hang on until time for my first fill - and try to stick with my food and excercise plan... which is still easier said than done.

Overall, I am still very excited - and very glad that Janet and I are doing this together!

Mikey and Janet- I think it is so cool that you all are experiencing this together. My husband has never had a weight problem and he totally does not understand.

Dancer- I totally understand the whole in-law should I tell them gig. I went through that and my husband told her anyway. Now his whole side of the family knows...grandparents and all...My family doesn't even know except for mom dad and my sister. My grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...I didn't tell...oh but now his whole family knows. She treats me different now, and bashes everything I do. She has a weight problem and I think it is just jealousy. Anway......point being....it is up to you who you want to tell...and let your husband know that in a kind but firm way. Or get a muzzle like I should have done with my DH!!!!

Sunta- Glad your feeling better. There is light at the end of the tunnel!! Just keep your eye on the prize.....a new skinny you. Good luck girl! Congrats on the 15 pounds, and the 3 gained you know is water...don't sweat it!

To everyone else...I love this board......hope to get to know everyone better!

Go Gwendolyn!!!! Good job girl!

Mikey - Glad to see you back on the board and things have gone so well for you.