Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New coping strategies

I've been really stressed waiting for the test results. Off the scale stressed. One of the things I cannot do is go to McDonald's and buy a quarter pounder with cheese and french fries. Well, I could, but I can't eat them. I have a sneeking suspicion that buying a quarter pounder with cheese and french fries and putting them in my pocket just isn't going to have the same effect as eating them. (we crave high fat foods when we are stressed, they make us feel better, which is why high fat foods are usually the first choice when medicating with food.)

I could eat ice cream, but I don't want to (YE Gods! I think the world will be coming to an end because I don't want ice cream. I'm sure it is one of the signs.)

So, I need a new coping mechanism. A new way of dealing with the stress, the worry, the whispers. Last night I wore my fairy wings from my halloween costume. Another night I put on way too much eye make-up and watched movies and drank vodka drinks. I haven't felt like I wanted to go out, and it's been really cold.

So, what new ways are other people coping? What are you trying, both silly and serious to deal with stress, now that quarter pounders with cheese are no longer practical?

Ewwww....a real toughie....I wish I had an answer for that one. I was mad at my mother yesterday and snacked all day long on unhealthly things. I did do one good thing for myself yesterday and that was go for 2 mile walk, just by myself. It truely did help. I hope all goes well tomorrow and you get really good news.

Mikey's Top Ten List Of Coping Mechanisms That Don't Include Quarter Pounders With cheese.

10. Write "I'm not here right now. Please leave a message" on a Post-it and stick it to your forehead.

9. Call your best friend and leave a cryptic voicemail message. "Hey, it's me. The flamingo has flown the coop! Repeat - the flamingo has flown the coop!"

8. Go to the dollar store with eight or ten bucks and pretend that you're Donald Trump.

7. One word: bubblewrap!

6. Speak only in quotes from the movie "The Princess Bride." When people ask you to stop, glare at them and say "HHHHalllo, my name is Inigo Montoyo. HHHYooou keeeled my fodder. Prepare to die!"

5. Invent a new nickname for little things around the house. "Honey, will you hand me the accordion-playing monkey so I can change the channel on the TV?"

4. As you're watching TV, pick a fairly common word. Every time someone on TV says that word, yell "Now I've got you!!!" at the top of your lungs.

3. Try this on your best friend or significant other: "I'll bet you a dollar that if you give me ten bucks, I'll give you twelve bucks." Then... when he/she says "sure" and gives you ten bucks, give him/her a dollar and say "Hmm... guess I lose." Then take the nine bucks and go back to #8 on this list.

2. Say the words "toy boat" really fast 10 times in a row.

1. Three words: bubble freakin' wrap!!

Oh my gosh.... Mikey, I don't know if your top 10 helped Vinesqueen, but I've almost peed myself from laughing so hard.... Reading this post was a great stress reliever. THANK YOU!! I needed that. You make my day.

Night all,

I'd put on my headphones to block out the world, choose some great music and go for a run on the treadmill. Exhaust myself to the point where what I'm focusing on is physical, not the worries in my mind. Works wonders when I want to kill my children.

If I didnt feel active, I'd choose the same music and go for a drive, play it FULL boar in the car.

Pity Cold Chisel never made it big in the states. Great sing your heart out Aussie pub rock, never fails to make me feel better.

Crystal...PAINT!!!!

Paint a wall, paint another window, grab a canvas or a piece of notebook paper!

Shave your legs. Do a facial. Clean the fridge. Iron. Play the music LOUD.

Study?

I like Mikey's list better, though, LOL!

Mikey, that list is hilarious. My DH speaks in quotes from the Princess Bride half the time anyways, so it's right up his alley.

Crystal, have you tried yoga? I think you'd enjoy it. I find it very calming. Getting blitzed is good in the moment, but it'll just make you feel like crap the next day (not that you're not entitled!).

Good luck tomorrow... I'll be thinking of you!

Read!! I'm with Gentlespirit here. I was going out of my mind 2 nights ago for no reason. I was pissed & depressed!! I think someone in DeLarla's challenge has a PMS voo-doo doll or something! I tried eating cause that is the old stand by for me as far as comforting myself, but since my last fill, I just can't do it. So I picked up a trashy book & went far, far away to historical romance land!! ;) It worked! I forgot my worries, read until I passed out & I felt better in the morning. If you need some trashy books, just let me know! I always have plenty on hand!! I'm thinking about you & keeping you in my prayers. Please let us know what the tests say.

The past few days, I've been meditating when this happens, to a good cd I have. Its helped.

When its negative thoughts that are bothering me, I've taken to jotting them down, along with the time it occurred and what I perceive to have brought them on. Then if they go away, I go back and jot down what I did to make them go away.

Music helps me as well, as far as getting my mind off things. I pick my favs and turn it up REAL loud.

Good luck Crystal.. and I'm sending some more extra happy thoughts your way.

Mikey - can't go wrong with #3 and #8. If you really want to splruge - go to Walmart!

Seriously, just changing my surroundings works for me sometimes.

Thanks for this thread, I'm getting some good ideas. Probably all of us are looking for ways to deal with stress...so far, writing is one of the things I like to do. Soaking bath, with candles for light. Music. Watching a movie if I have the time.

I will read with interest the rest of the responses to this. Mikey, you've got a great list there, I'm getting out my post-it note now, and will wear it into the teacher's lounge for lunch time!

Cindy

I crank up something rough like the soundtrack from the first Matrix movie, and sometimes I'll read, because that'll kind of take me away from where I am if the author is any good. When I'm REALLY angry, I go to my deadjoural (deadjournal.com) and pound away at it. Most of the posts are marked as 'private', but some of them aren't (only my fiancee really has the address to this anyway). I usually feel better once I've gotten everything out all in one place. It's kind of a therapy to go back and read some of the old ones too.

Sometimes I'll start an art project, just so that I'm concentrating on something. A hot bath can be good, but only if you've got a good book or other distraction. Otherwise you sit in the hot bath and still think about whatever is bothering you. Sometimes I'll just take a nap. I was really mad about something yesterday and after my dentist appointment I didn't feel too mad... but I don't think I'd recommend 'dental therapy'. eww.

Going to the gym can feel good when you are mad. Finding a good pillow to punch on for a while can be good too.

Go figure I can't eat well when I have a good meal I want to eat, but I can eat a bunch of crap when I'm stressed out. I try and stay away from that stuff as much as I can, but sometimes I fail.

((hugs))