Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of birth control do you use?

I have the Mirena IUD. I love it! Best birth control I have ever been on. After I had my son I got Depo and in 6 months packed on 100lbs. Then I switched to the pill. I have gotten preggo twice on the pill because I have a heck of a time trying to remember to take it. I decided after my 3rd baby I needed something that was more of a place and forget kinda thing. Doc recommended this and it has been great. I hardly bleed during my period anymore. I just spot and best of all no weight gain!! :lol:

I am on the Dep shot. I was concerned about gaining weight from it, but my OB/GYN is monitoring my weight closely. I only got it like a month ago and am still losing weight steadily. I am not sure if I am going to get it again in Sept when I am scheduled because I believe it is giving me headaches. Something I rarely got before the shot!

I've been on the pill (except when intentionally trying to get pregnant) since I was 18 for non-pregnancy-related reasons. If it caused weight gain, I didn't notice it then. (I'd switch to Mirena now, but my insurance won't cover it. Maybe in a year or two.) pills have always worked well for me.

One caution, though, that I think someone else mentioned: it's entirely possible that as you lose weight, you will become extremely fertile. Make sure your GYN is keeping close tabs on you, because you might need to change the dosage of whatever you are using.

im on nuva ring. only complaints is that i can never get it in far enough and it always like "Right there" if you know what i mean. and i pms on it really bad. didnt when i was on yaz and seasonial

If there are any of you out there who dont want to have any more children, I would sugest Essure. It is parmanent birth control that is easy and very inexpensive. Its and office procedure and I was back at work in 2 days. It ony cost my insurance deductable 250.00. Which is a whole lot cheaper than anything else. Also, it is 100%. There is no way I will get pregnant. What they do is insert a coil, like a spring, in your fallopain tubes. You will grow scar tissue around them which seals your tubes. After 30 days they do a dye test to be sure there is closure. It is amazing!!!! Cheap, easy, and 100%.

If there are any of you out there who dont want to have any more children, I would sugest Essure. It is parmanent birth control that is easy and very inexpensive. Its and office procedure and I was back at work in 2 days. It ony cost my insurance deductable 250.00. Which is a whole lot cheaper than anything else. Also, it is 100%. There is no way I will get pregnant. What they do is insert a coil, like a spring, in your fallopain tubes. You will grow scar tissue around them which seals your tubes. After 30 days they do a dye test to be sure there is closure. It is amazing!!!! Cheap, easy, and 100%.

I had endrometrial ablation which is also very easy and insurance covered. They burn the walls of the uterus so even if an egg fertilized it would have nowhere to attach. It also stopped my periods! I was back to work the next day.

I use a copper T IUD. It is one of the best decisions that I have ever made because hormones just don't cut it for me. The sperm dies after coming in contact with the copper. This IUD last for ten years while the Mirena IUD last for 5.

I was using the Nuva-Ring for 4 years and loved it....except the monthly cost of $40!!! Plus some months I would leave it in longer to avoid a period. Two weeks ago I went for my yearly and told my doctor I needed something that cost a little less and that she would suggest for me (I have 3 kids, 11,8, and 4 and right now I'd love another one but hubby says no). She suggested an IUD and showed the pros/cons of both and I ended up with Mirena. Had to go back while on my period to get it inserted and that was horrible!! She prescribed me one valium to take an hour before but said only take it if I had someone drive me, which I didn't, so I had to endure that painful event!! But, only being on it a week, I can't tell a difference.

It did cost about $300 but it was because I had to finish paying my deductible...so a lot upfront, but won't have to pay $40 a month for birth control for the next 5 years! I am not ready to get my tubes tied, but would love for hubby to get the little snip snip!!! I've had enough surgeries in the last 20 years, (ear surgery, 3 c-sections, gall bladder, lap band) it's time for him to do something!!!

I used to have the Mirena IUD. I had it for the full 5 years. When it was time to have it removed, I was going to a different GYN and they said since I've never had children I should not have another one inserted. The risk of infertility was way too high. So they put me on the pill. I've been okay with the pill. I've not forgotten (i set my phone alarm) and actually no weight gain (even when I wasn't dieting). The generic name is Triphasil.

The only thing I don't like is that I now have a period. With the IUD I didn't have one AT ALL! So of course I stared my period THE DAY BEFORE SURGERY! When it rains it pours!blink.gif

I had the mirena IUD and HATED it - basically every sideaffect listed, I got. I had headaches, weight retention, and a weird out-of-body feeling like my body was not actually my body. Also, it can contribute to ovarian cysts so isn't a good option for those with PCOS.

I only know one person who used the nuvaring and she got pregnant the second month she was on it, and the nuvaring made it an ectopic pregnancy.

I take the pill now, I'm on one of the ones that helps with PCOS symptoms (acne and facial hair). It's taking a looooong time to see those benefits though! I've been on it for 3 months. I haven't had any weight gain from it though.