Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hardest behavior for you to change?

My surgery is in about a month. I've really been investing in thoughts about everything that will change. I did this before my decision, for about 4 years before, but now that it's that much closer to home, the thoughts are that much more present.

If I had to rank the required behavioral changes that concern me the most, my #1 is -- of all things -- drinking w/ meals, and sipping. I drink A LOT of Water with my meals. Usually more than 64oz per meal. And none of this "take a drink, put it down, take a drink..." crap. I CHUG. If I'm thirsty, I'll drain a 32 oz glass without thinking twice. The only time I've gone drinkless during a meal was when I was too lazy to get up and get one, and then I just obsessed about it. :D

I already went and bought those sippy cups for toddlers, to use post-op, to try and help with this. :(

What was your most difficult behavior to change?

Stupid friggen coc@#$%!$%whor! night demons! I'm totally normal for Breakfast and can eat rabbit food for lunch, no problem. But I get possessed at night. Once I start eating, there's no stopping till I've hurt myself. I can't get passed it.

I second with DeLarla! I'm great during the day but come 7 or 8 p.m. I want to snack and I want crappy food...ice cream and hershey's...I know bad Katie....so i guess I'm still working on breaking the habit...

Not drinking with meals for me wasn't a biggie, but I always feel like I have to be eating...

Especially in the evening or nights while in front of the TV... so that has been the one behavior thing I have had to change.

Hardest for me was eating too fast. Drinking with meals wasn't a problem at all, but learning how to put down my fork between bites was a HUGE hurdle. I still don't do it all the time.

I'll admit, I still sip with meals. A little, no chugging.

The hardest part for me is not finishing a plate, or not putting a pre-bandster sized prtion on my plate, thinking I'll be able to eat it all. Portion sizes are still a problem. I want lots of yummy food! I'm pretty good about stopping when done, but I need to be absolutely done, not just done enough. I could get away with eating less if I wanted to. I just like the food!!!! That's still hard for me. Probably why I'm a turtle, too.

I've only been banded 2 weeks and I want to eat, eat, and eat! I'm trying to teach myself what being full means. It's hard not to snack. But at least my meals is appropriately sized.

The drinking while eating has to be my toughest. I am supposed to begin that at six weeks and even though Ive tried to wean myself and be ready for that six week mark.. I fail. I get so thirsty when eating that the food seems to stick in my throat. I have noticed that the couple of times I did manage it, I stayed full longer so I know it's what -has- to be done.

About chewing a lot. A tip I learned from my DH last night. If food gets to the back of my mouth, my instinct is to swallow it.. even if it's not chewed well. So what he does, and I do too now, is look down while chewing. It forces the food more to the front of the mouth, keeping it away from the back of my throat until Im sure Ive done the 'chew to goo' and then I raise my head and swallow. Sure, you'll look like you're either obsessed with looking at your food or praying it will stay down, but what the heck, it works!

The hardest thing for me is to remember to eat THOUGHTFULLY. That involves slowing down, chewing thorougly, and waiting between bites. It is hard because if I'm talking while I'm eating, and I'm really into what we're talking about, I forget what I'm doing and eat too fast. Then I get the golfball. Thank God it's never been a PB.

I'm still having a coffee after meals quite often, I dont want to have to break that habit until the band makes me and at the moment it doesnt make any difference. I'm not too worried about having to do it though.

For me, its definitely eating fast. The first few mouthfuls of any meal I have to REALLY stop and think about it, or I get pain pretty quickly.

And without thinking about it, I find myself drifting back to a high carb diet now too. Not bread and white stuff but I find myself basing all my breakfasts and lunches around Cereal, crackers, that type of thing.

The drinking while eating has to be my toughest. I am supposed to begin that at six weeks
You're supposed to start drinking w/ meals at 6 weeks? I haven't had my dietician appt. yet but I thought that was a long term no-no...? I want your doctor. :(

I don't know if this will help anyone here or not, but a good friend had RNY. She had the same problems with chewing enough. She was supposed to chew 30 times, but found that by chew 6 or 7, the food was sort of making its own way down her throat (when I've "practiced" chewing to mush, I've found the same thing). So when she gets her food, before she touches a single bite, she cuts everything up into tiny, tiny pieces, just larger than minced. On top of that, she chews well. Between the two, there's not much chance for anything too big to get in her pouch, and she's had a BIG decrease in things getting stuck.

Oops, sorry no. I can see how that read wrong. Not drinking while eating is the hardest thing for me. I'm supposed to stop drinking with meals at six weeks.

FYI, I had my band removed 12/27 after 1.5 years, and I still avoid drinking while eating. I might sip a little, but that cup of coffee or drink right after my meal has to wait a solid hour. It's a good rule, keeps the food in my belly.