Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days after Surgery, I need more than Shakes ???

shakes, Popsicles, I do broth, Jello that just frustrates me.....

Has anybody had, Grits, mashed potatoes or eggs 4/5 days out? I'm hungry and need more than shakes and popsicles. I need something more than liquid

You need to heel before you can eat all that ! I know you don't want to hear that,, but you don't want to hurt yourself either.

I used Lipton cup of Soup CREAM OF chicken it took away the hunger for me. Your shakes, If they are high in Protein should help to.

Eventually you will have thicker Soups that do the job. Then thank God for the mushie stage.

But we all had to go threw this. I know it's rough,,,,, but hang in there ! You can do this !

I will try thin Soup haven't had that yet. Any other suggestions please share

<br />I will try thin Soup haven't had that yet. Any other suggestions please share<br />
<br /><br /><br />I had my surgery on july 13th and by the sixteenth I started on scrambled eggs to see how I would hold them. And that sunday I had some mashed potatoes they went down easily and didn't cause any discomfort. As long as it's soft food that won't swell like grits could you should be able to handle it.

Do what your doc says and don't start soft foods too early. Your stomach needs to heal. Keep to your diet. Think of this as boot camp for training to be in control. Make sure you get your fluids in, that helps with hunger too.

It depends on what your doctor has ordered. I was told Clear Liquids only for 7 days. When my surgeon called me at 3 days post-op I was doing so well that I got moved to full liquids. Go by what YOUR surgeon has told you to do. The post-op sucks, but you need to let the stitches holding your band in place heal.

Do what your doc says and don't start soft foods too early. Your stomach needs to heal. Keep to your diet. Think of this as boot camp for training to be in control. Make sure you get your fluids in, that helps with hunger too.

I have also noticed on here that individual doctors tell patients different things. Some ppl on here are on liquid and mushies for weeks before they go to solid foods. My personal Dr. had me on this

Post opp days 1-3 -----liquid

days 3-6------soft food (eggs, mashed potatoes, creamy soups)

day 7( or when you feel like your body can Handel it) regular foods.

But YES you should follow what YOUR specific Dr. recommended for YOU.

Call your doctor and explain how you are feeling. He may tell you to change what you are eating

I know everyone is going to jump down my throat but I am going to share my experience so far. I am 11 days post op and I began eating mushies and some solids by day 5. I talked to my surgeon and she explained that it really is just not trying to throw up because those could rip the stitches. She said I can eat as tolerated. I have been eating so much less in portion sizes than pre-surgery but this morning I was able to have toast and eggs. I was starving on liquids and I still had a huge interest in food by the 3rd day post-op and liquids were not cutting it. My best advice is talk to the doctor because I did and was so surprised at what she told me.

I am down 12lbs and I am in a far better mood being able to eat again!!!laugh.gif

I am 4 days out and feeling the same way. I purchased red roasted pepper Soup. It works for about 4 hours. Maybe we are getting hungry in the normal amount of time. Every three hours?

I will try thin soup haven't had that yet. Any other suggestions please share

That's good Soup. I know I enjoyed it.

Keep in mind too that we didn't all have the exact same surgery. I have the band with plication, someone else may not. Just because one persons Dr says food is okay earlier doesn't mean it's okay for everyone else. I imagine too if your had a hernia repair too that might change when you can move on. We aren't doctors here.