Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone here been banded with a bmi over 50

I went to my consultation today with my surgeon and had already decided that i wanted the lap band. He suggests that since my bmi is over 50 that i should also consider the gastric bypass. He said that there's a chance i won't reach my maximum weight loss with the band. He doesn't want me to feel discouraged if i don't lose the weight i want. Now he has me rethinking my choice. I have know him for the course of six years and I know he wants the best for me. Has anyone ever been told by their surgeon this?

My BMI is much higher than 50. I did give serious thought to getting bypass vs. the band. But in the end, the band ended up being the right choice for me.

Based on some research I did, the amount of weight lost by bypass vs. band patients was about the same after 3 years. The bypass people tend to lose faster, especially in the beginning.

I will say that the band is work. You must eat right, exercise. The band is a tool and requires lifestyle changes.

I started at 415 and my goal per my doctor is 227 which means I need to lose 188 pounds. I was 364 this morning and have lost 51 pounds since May 9th. I know it is doable because there are lots of people who have lost very large amounts of weight with the band. In fact 6 years ago I lost 125 pounds in a year just with exercise and diet. So I know I can do this.

In the end, you need to do what is best for you. You need to be realistic about the amount of work and the expected outcomes of each procedure. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Mine was not over 50 but it was close at 47.8. It's 3 years later and my BMI is currently 26.3. I don't think you should let your high number deter you. As long as you are completely dedicated to following the program you should do fine. GB takes dedication too and is really a more drastic way to go. Good luck with whatever you decide.

My BMI is much higher than 50. I did give serious thought to getting bypass vs. the band. But in the end, the band ended up being the right choice for me.

Based on some research I did, the amount of weight lost by bypass vs. band patients was about the same after 3 years. The bypass people tend to lose faster, especially in the beginning.

I will say that the band is work. You must eat right, exercise. The band is a tool and requires lifestyle changes.

I started at 415 and my goal per my doctor is 227 which means I need to lose 188 pounds. I was 364 this morning and have lost 51 pounds since May 9th. I know it is doable because there are lots of people who have lost very large amounts of weight with the band. In fact 6 years ago I lost 125 pounds in a year just with exercise and diet. So I know I can do this.

In the end, you need to do what is best for you. You need to be realistic about the amount of work and the expected outcomes of each procedure. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

You're awesome, Jen. 51 pounds in 2 months? keep up the good work!!

I went to my consultation today with my surgeon and had already decided that i wanted the lap band. He suggests that since my bmi is over 50 that i should also consider the gastric bypass. He said that there's a chance i won't reach my maximum weight loss with the band. He doesn't want me to feel discouraged if i don't lose the weight i want. Now he has me rethinking my choice. I have know him for the course of six years and I know he wants the best for me. Has anyone ever been told by their surgeon this?

My BMI is 50.4 and that was after the pre op diet (in which I lost 33 lbs on). I had my lap band put in this last Weds. I have always "heard" that with gastric ppl lose weight faster but with the band more ppl keep it off and lose at a safer rate. I think anybody can do anything they put their mind to. Do what you feel is right for you.

Hi Ash! :) I went to info meetings with the expectation that gastric bypass was my only option at my size but my surgeon saw no reason for me to not go with the band. I'm about 4 months post op and down 54 pounds and my BMI is about 10 points lower already. Please don't be discouraged from getting the band, look at all your options and decide what is best for you. :) Good Luck!!

Hi There!

I started with a BMI of 53. It was reccomended to me to also have the bypass, but felt uncomfortable with that surgery and my surgeon agreed to support me with the band. I had my surgery 3/10/10 at 360 (5'9" 44 year old female) with no pre-op diet. One year later I was down almost 100 pounds and then went to a total stall and did not loose anything for 3 months. The scale is now moving downwards and I am down to 249 (-111lbs). It has not been easy and there are ups and downs. Will I ever be skinny? I do not know - but I came into this journey with very realistic expectations. I wanted to be off all meds (High Blood Pressure, Nexium), be healthy (I now walk 2 miles a day and nolonger huff and puff with regular life activities) be able to shop in a regular sized store (not there yet, but down from a 34 to a 20/22) and just feel better about myself. My goal for now is 200 but would really like to get down to 175. Can I do it - you bet - can you? - 100%! Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Hi There!

I started with a BMI of 53. It was reccomended to me to also have the bypass, but felt uncomfortable with that surgery and my surgeon agreed to support me with the band. I had my surgery 3/10/10 at 360 (5'9" 44 year old female) with no pre-op diet. One year later I was down almost 100 pounds and then went to a total stall and did not loose anything for 3 months. The scale is now moving downwards and I am down to 249 (-111lbs). It has not been easy and there are ups and downs. Will I ever be skinny? I do not know - but I came into this journey with very realistic expectations. I wanted to be off all meds (High Blood Pressure, Nexium), be healthy (I now walk 2 miles a day and nolonger huff and puff with regular life activities) be able to shop in a regular sized store (not there yet, but down from a 34 to a 20/22) and just feel better about myself. My goal for now is 200 but would really like to get down to 175. Can I do it - you bet - can you? - 100%! Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Cynpatt, 175 is totally doable. I started out right about the same place you did. Same height, a few pounds less (324) and a few years older (48). I'm currently down to 178 and still losing. I too, had a couple of long stalls but they pass and the weight loss picks back up. You're doing great. Keep it up!

Hi! I was banded on 7/26 and I had a BMI of 60.5 I initially wanted gastric bypass because I didn't think banding would be enough but I chose to take, what I consider, the safer route. I plan on putting my all into losing weight and my band is going to help me in that. I'm going on faith that I can get to a healthy and pleasing place. I would ask yourself why you never considered bypass to begin with and it never hurts to look into it, just don't make a quick decision. Good luck to you.

I went to my surgeon last Monday. At 328 lbs and a BMI of 59, he recommended the gastric bypass. I went looking into the lap band. I have not been approved for surgery yet, but hope to. By the time I left I was considering the bypass, then I saw my doctor later in the week and recommended the lap band. The biggest reason being the risks. Plus, they both said I would only lose between 40 and 60 lbs. Why am I seeing over 100 or 150 lbs lost ? I am confused by this. Can anyone tell me about the weight loss and how much you can lose.

Where I was banded. I have seen people over 600LBS. , and they were told you got to get down to 500LBS., because that is the most the surgical table can hold.

So while in the waiting room, of course we all talk about our success. The majority of those people were Lap Band patients ! I thought for sure they were Bypass,,, but NO WAY ! they wanted the Band, and were doing Great in their WL journey.

So it's doable ! Mine asked me on the way to surgery. "LET ME DO THE BYPASS ON YOU ! ! ! NO ! and I am glad I didn't go with his idea.

Like he told me If your not losing weight, you can come in, and I can adjust you... Yeagh? With the Bypass, once your done, your on your own...

I'd rather make sure it's going to work.