Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So am I just being too picky with these darn protein shakes?

I have had a really hard time finding shakes I like, as well. I tried samples from unjury, Bariatric fusion, Syntrax nectar, and at least two others. I kept researching online and finally saw a post recommending Body Fortress chocolate flavor, saying it tasted similar to chocolate Nesquik. It's available at Walmart for about $15 for a 2 lb container. I decided to give it a try, and it turned out to be tolerable. It's still got an aftertaste, and there's no mistaking it for an ice cream shake LOL.

I've experimented with it to try and make it taste a little better. I mix it with 6 oz milk instead of 8 oz, because then there's less to drink (which is good since I don't love it...but if I loved it I'd make it with 8 oz milk). I tried adding a tablespoon of Hershey's cocoa to it and that did help improve the flavor. The most recent thing I tried was adding 1 tablespoon of sugar-free fat-free instant chocolate pudding mix to it and that actually helped quite a lot. It made it more chocolate-y tasting and did not have as much of an aftertaste.

How about the sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast? Have you tried Ensure High Protein or Special K Protein Shake. They seemed to be high in calories. I saw them at Meijer but didn't want to buy the pack just to try them out. I really think a thicker smoothie type drink will make me feel fuller, kinda like a real shake. I'll let you know if I find any. I'm really picky so this might be a challenge for me as well.

I purchased the vanilla flavor and I don't like it as much, but I'm going to try to add some instant pudding flavors to it and see how that works. I am six weeks post-op but I still need Protein Shakes some days. Sometimes I have them for breakfast because they're fast, and some days I work 16 hrs but rarely get time to sit and have a meal so I drink one or two during the day to keep me going.

I've tried freezing milk in ice cube trays and using about 4 cubes (they're about 1 oz each) and then 2-4 oz milk to make a smoothie style drink. It didn't improve the flavor any but it changes the texture so it might be worth a shot to help you drink them.

Once you get past the pre-op and immediate post-op phase, you won't have to rely on Protein shakes nearly as much. Most people can get their protein needs met by their food intake, but it's still good to find a protein shake you can tolerate to have available if you have an off day or for the day or so after a fill when you need to go back to liquids.< /span>

Have you tried any of Dr. Watkins other recipes yet? Did you buy the Bariatric Advantage from the office? Those containers are soo big and I worry that I won't like it then be mad that I had to spend the money on it.

No dr watkins. I got the BA shakes online.

I tried a chocolate Carnation Instant Breakfast but I'm not sure if it was sugar free or not. I didn't care for it but fortunately my teenage son liked it and drank them! I bought a 4 pack. I haven't tried the Special K or Ensure versions mainly because I don't want to spend more money on Protein Drink. I would like to try the Special K Protein Water mix-ins at some point.

I just started my diet 3 days ago and am using the Body Fortress whey Protein chocolate flavor and I like it. some ice 2 oz of chocolate Silk & 2 oz of Water. I like it. Hopefully I don't get tired of it.

They all suck. I've tried 2 dif kinds of Atkins, eas, Bariatric Advantage, musc milk and oh yeah. Is it too mucn to ask for a Protein drink that does not reek of a chemically taste in your mouth. My banded friend said the BA shakes remind her of an ice cream shake. What in the world is she thinking??!! Has it just been too long since shes had a REAL shake? Im freaking out bc I need a shake I like!!

Hello there. I drink the unjury Protein Shakes. It's really not bad. I have the Special chocolate one (can't remember the exact name), but I would definitely recommend it.

I have to second the HMR brand. vanilla with a scoop of PB2 made with Water and ice cubes, taste like a vanilla milk shake. We have a distributor at our hospital system, but I think you can get them online. Very tasty, but expensive. I would say worth it.