Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

names Monica

I was just introduced to this site by a close friend. and I am so grateful for it... I'm going into surgery 12 days from today. 8/6/11 (lap ban) and already going threw an array of emotions..

I have spent my entire life coming to terms with my body, accepting and loving me! and now my doctor says that this is necessary for my health... yea i know if i loved my self i wouldn't of stuffed my face until the point of diabetes and high blood pressure.. but in my defense up until 2months ago i never had any health food related problems. Now this surgery could mean life or death for me. so why am i not more excited about it? but eventually i know all good things will work out in the end. and i will be much happier in the long run :D

what i do need help in the worst way is this liquids for two weeks..

It's my second day and i already Mucked up! Subways got the best of me this afternoon! ..

Im really scared that i will not be able to go two weeks on liquids only.. I am already crawling out of my skin! i get headache's, nauseous, and literately feel dizzy sometimes? and what's up with these Protein shakes? could they make them taste any worse? (yuck) HOW am I going to get threw these two weeks?

Is there anybody else going threw this problem? and please please tell how did you get threw it? Any advice is much appreciated.

Miserable in Manhattan

I know that it's the best thing for your health but no one can force you to have the lap band. You don't seem like you really want to do it and quite frankly you sound angry about it. Does your physician require a psych eval before surgery and if so have you done it yet? If he/she doesn't require it I would suggest it.

No its not that at all... I'm completely willing to change my life including my eating habits. And looking forward to the help that the band will give me . Its one of the reasons I chose the band and not the others, because I know I can do it with a little help from my ---- lol

I'vebeen to the psych. What I'm having difficulties with is the liquid diet.... Its making me nauseous giving me headaches and sometimes dizziness!

Youmean to tell me that you just breezed threw with out any problems? I cannot believe that I'm the only one experiencing this!

No, by all means you are not the only one that has a problem with the liquid diet. I have not had my surgery yet but I have been on a liquid diet before. Let me ask you, what are you using for the liquid diet? Also are you allowed to have anything other than liquid? My restrictions are pretty loose when it comes to the preband diet. All my doctor is having me do is low carb. I know some doctor's are very strict.

Of can have 2 cups of veggies a day ... All the crystal light I want... sugar free Jello. And five servings of a Protein shake...

Strict don't cut it... But I'm pretty sure I cannot post the words I'm thinking of. And at this point I just don't know how much more I can do? I'm at the point of tears.. I've been reading other post and most say after 3 days it gets better ... Todays my 3 th day .. But I got to tell ya I'm not a happy woman!

I know it's definetly hard and maybe the best way to look at it is that it's not forever. After your two weeks you're done. I would make sure you're getting enough of everything he says you can have too. Make sure you eat all of the veggies, drink lots of crystal light and I would eat all of the sugar free Jello I could carry home in my car.

A lot of people simply have the drink a shake for Breakfast, a shake for lunch and eat a salad with lean Protein for dinner which seems to be a lot more logical to me.

It gets better.. I am on my 5th day. My doctor allows, yogurt, ff Jello, ff pudding, broth and creamy Soups, ie: Tomato or butternut squash, cream of mushroom.

I try and mentally get through it by thinking how short two weeks really is.. I think about how time flies and keep myself busy with my job, the kids and house work (house is really clean right now). I thinking that this is a good time to get exercise in because it keeps my mind off of food. Also, i have already seen the scale go down and that always encourages me to keep going.

I have had a couple of headaches and I attribute that to not enough water!

Anyways, good luck and i hope that helps...even just a little bit! :)

Lol yes thank you.. I will try more Water before I go to extremes and cancel the cleaning lady

The other thing you might be low on is sodium. Maybe some chicken or beef broth if your doc will allow it.

Hang in there! You will feel better. If you've already had Subway, you need to start over again in your counting of days to the first day when you did not cheat. It takes 3 full days of not cheating before you feel okay.

Think of it this way - as miserable as you feel now, you will feel far more miserable someday when you get all the health problems you are having the surgery to avoid.

Don't give up!

Thank you healthy challenge.. I'll do my best to change my attitude and outlook :)

I feel your pain...I was miserable during the pre-op liquid diet. I could only have the shakes, Jello and broth. Not even veggies! I hated the shakes so much I would just drink the whole thing in one gulp. Like I was chugging a beer. I also gave up drinking diet coke when I started the pre-op so I know about the headache. It is all part of going through ketosis. It does get a bit better. I looked at the pre-op diets as if I was taking medicine and that it was part of the process.

I must admit that on some days I did have some fat free fully blended pea Soup for dinner and that seemed to help.

If you dont like the shakes you are drinking now, I highly suggest finding ones that you do like. Because if you hate them now, you are really going to hate them after surgery. Do a search on this site regarding Protein shakes. There are several posts where people recommend shakes that they like.

Good Luck and Hang in there! You can do this. I've lost 51 pounds since May 9th when I started my pre-op diet. I still have a long way to go, but the results are worth the suffering!

names Monica

I was just introduced to this site by a close friend. and I am so grateful for it... I'm going into surgery 12 days from today. 8/6/11 (lap ban) and already going threw an array of emotions..

I have spent my entire life coming to terms with my body, accepting and loving me! and now my doctor says that this is necessary for my health... yea i know if i loved my self i wouldn't of stuffed my face until the point of diabetes and high blood pressure.. but in my defense up until 2months ago i never had any health food related problems. Now this surgery could mean life or death for me. so why am i not more excited about it? but eventually i know all good things will work out in the end. and i will be much happier in the long run :D

what i do need help in the worst way is this liquids for two weeks..

It's my second day and i already Mucked up! Subways got the best of me this afternoon! ..

Im really scared that i will not be able to go two weeks on liquids only.. I am already crawling out of my skin! i get headache's, nauseous, and literately feel dizzy sometimes? and what's up with these Protein shakes? could they make them taste any worse? (yuck) HOW am I going to get threw these two weeks?

Is there anybody else going threw this problem? and please please tell how did you get threw it? Any advice is much appreciated.

Miserable in Manhattan

Hi there, I just had my lap band inserted last Wednesday and I too struggled with the liquid diet. My BMI was 39 and for the 2 weeks I had a shake for Breakfast & lunch and then for dinner I had something reasonably healthy, like a warm chicken salad or vegetable & red meat casserole (no bread) although I was supposed to only have shakes 3 times a day. I still got through it even though I felt so guilty! The headaches and consipation are a real pain but think of things to come, if you can just get through it. Its probably harder for you because the lap band wasnt a direct choice made by you, it was an alternative. Keep thinking of how much your life will change with weight loss........those nice clothes....nice shoes.....walks on the beach........anything to get you through :) Posiivity is the key, even though its hard to be positive sometimes, we can control our life for a change. I wish you every success :)