Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band or Gastric Bypass

I am scheduled for my MD consult and doing as much research as I can beforehand. Can anyone tell me their reasons for choosing a band over bypass? I am reading about a lot of difficulties here with banding. If I have trouble syicking with a conventional diet, is a band the right thing for me?

I really appreciate your comments and advice. I am 49, good health, 245 and 5' 5" w BMI of 41. I want to be thin again and loose 100 lbs.

Thanks everyone!

Hi DDM,

I'm sure you'll be flooded with answers, but let me weigh in first. Your stats are very close to where I started. I was 46 and weighed 264 lbs last September. You didn't mention any co-morbidities, but I was also diabetic, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and coronary artery disease. I was miserable and getting sicker every year.

I had tried numerous other diets myself and while I'd sometimes have success, I could never keep the weight off for more than a year or so. I chose lapband because it was much less risky than bypass, and I liked that it was adjustable and reversible. Yes, you do have to follow the guidelines and work at it - but the band does help. Once you reach your optimum fill (Please realize that this can take several fills) the band helps you eat less and stay full longer.

I've been thrilled with my decision. I've lost 75 pounds and I'm off all of my medications. Good luck to you on your research and tough decision.

Ii am reading 2 books on this too, trying to make my own decision ... So far I have come to choose the LAGB over the LGS or the LRYGB b/c in Both of the books it states the % of weight gain back and they are higher than the LapBand. The LB is the least invasive procedure and requires less hospital stay time. It also says that because it is intended for long term maintenance reasons, the commitment by the patient is 100% or it will fail to do it's

purpose. The risk factored of death are lower w/ the LB too. The Drs usually give the GB to patients who need to lose an excess amount of weight. the LRYGB is the most expensive and requires the longest hosp stay. All 3 are great but have different jobs in the body. With the LB there is no stapling, cutting, removal or reattachment procedures to your organs.I don't know if it helps you make a better decision but know know for sure which Gastric surgery I want. I would encourage u to keep reading and searching info on each type to help u make your choice. Research, research, research!!!!!!

For those interested, the books I'm reading are called:

1) OUTPATIENT WEIGHT-LOSS SURGERY - by :

Kent Sasse MD

2) GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY - by : Mary McGowan MD

Hi DDM,

I'm sure you'll be flooded with answers, but let me weigh in first. Your stats are very close to where I started. I was 46 and weighed 264 lbs last September. You didn't mention any co-morbidities, but I was also diabetic, with high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and coronary artery disease. I was miserable and getting sicker every year.

I had tried numerous other diets myself and while I'd sometimes have success, I could never keep the weight off for more than a year or so. I chose lapband because it was much less risky than bypass, and I liked that it was adjustable and reversible. Yes, you do have to follow the guidelines and work at it - but the band does help. Once you reach your optimum fill (Please realize that this can take several fills) the band helps you eat less and stay full longer.

I've been thrilled with my decision. I've lost 75 pounds and I'm off all of my medications. Good luck to you on your research and tough decision.

Diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and coronary artery disease...and you are off ALL of your meds? That's awesome!!!!! Congrats!!

Congrats on the Super Bowl win too!!

I chose the band because I wanted a less invasive and reversible alternitive. I started at 318 and have lost 83 lbs. as of today. Lapband is by no means the easy route. I count calories, excersise, have my band adjusted monthly if needed and watch my Water intake. But, I wanted to say I did it..........there is something very special about knowing I did the work. I have several friends that have had RNY and while they have lost a lot intially they have gained some back because they have not learned good eating habits. I am sure that is not the way everyones jouney is. But, I know now that if for some reason my band has to be removed down the road I will have ingrained good eating habits and excersise into my life. Good luck on your decision!

Thanks Cindy!

At the risk of sounding overly-dramatic... I truly feel like this surgery saved my life. I will be eternally greatful that my insurance covered it.

And go Pack! It's cruel irony that my team wins the superbowl, and now there's a lock-out. That's just wrong.

Hello I'm getting banded at 6 am July 27. I chose the band bc it was reversible my insurance BCBS covered either at 100% just had to do 5 weight loss visits. I also chose the band bc I did not want to look like a shriveled up person on drugs, and what i mean by that is, if i'm losing too much weight I can get the band adjusted. With the sleeve or gastric bypass when you drop the weight there is nothing to adjust to slow the weight loss. I'm just glad my ins covers it 100% with no out of pocket bc I have sleep apnea and diabetic with high chols, so i'm anxious to stop taking the meds

I am choosing the Lap Band for many reasons. It's safer, less invasive, reversible and much more controllable and in the event of pregnancy can be adjusted according to the nutritional needs of the mother and baby. I can only share with you what my PCP said as well as my surgeon. Mind you these are only their opinions.

My PCP said that every single one of her patients that has had gastric bypass has stretched out their new stomach and regained all of their weight. That they literally ate themselves back to a huge stomach again. However all of her patients with the Lap band have done very well and maintained the majority of their weight loss. Largely because she feels that it requires much more follow up and attention to detail and can be adjusted at any time. This is only her opinion.

My surgeon is a center of excellence and has worked at other centers of excellence as well. He did gastric bypass surgeries for many years. He said that there were so many gastric bypass surgeries that ended catastrophically in the industry as a whole that he had to really sit himself down and determine "If my sister came to me one day and had to have weight loss surgery would I tell her to have gastric bypass?" His answer was absolutely not and he never did another gastric bypass surgery from that day forward. Since then he's only done the Lap Band. That is only his opinion.

Everybody has to chose on their own and take into consideration their own factors. Many people have lost hundreds of pounds with the Lap Band. Whatever you do just try and be sure as best as you can. I wish you luck :).

Hello!

As everyone has stated, the LAP-BAND or REALIZE band are much safer than gastric bypass. I have researched all of the surgeries for the past 15 months, and am going to have LAP-BAND (hopefully in September). I have an aunt and also new a school teacher who had gastric bypass and they both died because with gastric bypass, they don't get all of the nutrients. With the band, nothing is cut or rerouted, so your body will absorb all of the nutrients it needs. I have 3 good friends who have been banded within the past 15 months, and all have lost so much weight and say that they just wish they had done it sooner.

Good luck!

Peg

I am choosing the Lap Band for many reasons. It's safer, less invasive, reversible and much more controllable and in the event of pregnancy can be adjusted according to the nutritional needs of the mother and baby. I can only share with you what my PCP said as well as my surgeon. Mind you these are only their opinions.

My PCP said that every single one of her patients that has had gastric bypass has stretched out their new stomach and regained all of their weight. That they literally ate themselves back to a huge stomach again. However all of her patients with the Lap band have done very well and maintained the majority of their weight loss. Largely because she feels that it requires much more follow up and attention to detail and can be adjusted at any time. This is only her opinion.

My surgeon is a center of excellence and has worked at other centers of excellence as well. He did gastric bypass surgeries for many years. He said that there were so many gastric bypass surgeries that ended catastrophically in the industry as a whole that he had to really sit himself down and determine "If my sister came to me one day and had to have weight loss surgery would I tell her to have gastric bypass?" His answer was absolutely not and he never did another gastric bypass surgery from that day forward. Since then he's only done the Lap Band. That is only his opinion.

Everybody has to chose on their own and take into consideration their own factors. Many people have lost hundreds of pounds with the Lap Band. Whatever you do just try and be sure as best as you can. I wish you luck :).

Hello,

Both of my sister-in-laws had gastric bypass and did fine for about 2 -3 years. They have not learned to eat properly and do not exercise. They have gained back a lot of the weight and continue to yo-yo back and forth. They had beautiful thick hair and now it is thinner and dull. For me, just watching them experience the dumping syndrome was painful.

My daughter had bypass surgery at age 24 and has had problems with her mineral and Vitamin absorption since. She too, has gained back weight and has been considering the lapband.

Having seen what they had/have to endure has led me to the Lapband because it is reversible. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has had the Lapband surgery and maybe I would feel differently if I did.

Best of luck on your decision.

I chose the band or bypass. I wanted a less invasive procedure with a faster healing time. I was banded 2 months ago lost 40 pounds no fills yet.:D

I won't sugar coat this at all, just tell it the way it is....

Everyone that I new that had Bypass is Buried in the Ground.

Before they died, they had problems with Malabsorption, (So you figure out how they took their Meds, So they could work !)

then the Dumping Syndrome is not pleasant.

Not to many Doctors do the surgery with the Duodenal switch, but that one has no dumping, and no problems with Malabsorption.

If I were going to let someone change my insides, with no going back I would choose that one.

But I'm sticking with the band. It's not as bad as it can be led up to be.

It's interesting to see the responses of others, both pre and post op.

I've been banded just over 5 weeks and I researched the daylights out of the issue. My friends who had gastric bypass ALL gained their weight back - every one of them. And every one of them has said, if they could do it over again, they'd get lapband! They were all lead to believe this was the miracle cure for obesity. And now 2 of them (in their 50's) are having serious gastric problems!

I had a colonoscopy this past week and told my gastroenterologist what I had done. He was very supportive but had nothing good to say about the g-bypass. He says it never made sense to him but now he is dealing with the backlash - those who now have serious health issues and need it reversed but there is no reversal for g-bypass! He's a quiet, gentle man but when we had our discussion, be became down right passionate!

Some of the very things others found unacceptable, I found terrific! For example - having to go in for fills. I like that there is an understanding that one size does NOT fit all! And it provides accountability to have to weigh in each time! And PB - it forces me to be so careful when I eat to chew carefully and to avoid unconscious eating. If the easier, softer way worked, I wouldn't need a lapband! I am so happy I made this decision!

Just my journey so far...FWIW :thumbup:

When I was banded, I had Hernia repair too ! This played a key factor in this.

My surgeons next patient was RNY. I was in my room still 1/2 out of it, and she was coming in saying she felt great ! That I should get up, and walk the hall with her. I softly spoke and said no not now ! So she said O you should have had done what I had done then. I feel GREAT.

Next morning we were both taken down to do a swallow, and check for leaks... That morning I was feeling Great! After she got done, she became very sick, and was taken somewhere to recoup or something. I went in to her room to get her to go for that walk, and her Mother said she is very sick, since the swallow.

Well we talked for a while, and then I said I better go back to my room. Well hear she comes ASH GREY in color, and saying how sick she was. So I said I'll see you later

I was so glad that I had the band done at that point. It was like I new she made a mistake. She new it to ! !So this is not just Apples vs Oranges. These are 2 whole different Worlds...

I'm glad I'm Banded !

For a little while, I was stuck between the Lap Band and Gastric Sleeve. The Sleeve seems to be the new hot thing. Someone on another WLS board (for my surgeon- Dr. Aceves) even told me, "See you on the re-ops boards in about 2 years", after I defended my decision to go with the Band over the Sleeve several times over. I got fed up, and left that board for good. He does a lot of re-ops for band patients opting for the sleeve, and I guess those are the only patients that go to his message board anymore. None of these re-ops were banded by him- at least the ones that tried to shoo me away from the Lap-Band.

Anyway, I would choose the BAND over any surgery involving cutting out parts of my insides. My weight loss goal is relatively low- I just hope I don't lose my weight too slowly and come to screeching halt. I know that lower weight loss goals means slower weight loss (especially with the band over other more invasive WLS), but I won't let it discourage me :)