Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going for my 3rd fill and hope it goes better.

I went for my 2nd fill like 3 weeks ago and my next one is next Monday. Here is the thing. I got on the scale and gained a few pounds since my first fill. Between the post op diet and through the first fill I lost around 17 pounds. So when I got on the scale the nurse seemed like he was sad and tried to make it sound like it can happen. The thing is I wasnt surprised I gained. But when the doctor came in he seemed real disappointed and told me I need to do better. I told him I was still hungry a lot. Then he told me I needed to eat better and snack on pickles and cucumbers. He is one of the doctors that want you to be on a high protien low carb diet which if that always worked I wouldn't have got the band. I always lost weight on those diets but couldnt keep it off cause I would eat carbs again. Here is the thing, I am not a patient person and my weight loss hasn't been as fast as I thought and I'm ok with that. I know that I haven't got to that "sweet spot" to were my band is tight enough. I can still gulp Water and Eat really anything. The only problem I seem to have is when I eat too fast I get some pain. I have a large band "15cc" and think its only filled to about 6cc. I wasn't discouraged untill he said that stuff to me. Tell you the truth I'm still not that discouraged because I know this band will help me. I really think after my 3rd fill I will do a lot better. I can eat what I ate before but I'm not as hungry as I was before. I think this next fill will result in restriction. I hope so. I don't think I have lost much but know I haven't gained any since my last fill but hope he doesn't come down on me hard again. As for the low carb high protien diet he wants me on I think that will work for me when I cant get as much food in. AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS that I should follow the diet my doctor wants me on, I just want to remind people that I'm sure we were all on the Atkins diet and if we could stick to that we wouldn't be in the band chat. Like I said I think when I cant get as much food in I will be wanting to get all that protien in and will. I have done 1400 calorie diets before and lost as much as on Atkins. Thats what my goal really is so I can get a little of everything in my diet, Well these are always longer than I intend them to be and I hope I get some words of encouragement. Thanks

I can't stand the low carb diets. For one they screw with my metobolism. I don't lose well with them. I drop a lot the first week then my body holds on to everything and I don't lose again for about 2 weeks then it's verrrrry slow. Everyone is different but my opinion of low carb diets are they don't work for ME! I think overall if I could choose a way to eat and lose weight and be healthy would be to have everything but in moderation and that is why I wanted the band. I want to be able to eat healthy carbs, fruits, veggies...all the food groups. Some Dr.'s will always push a certain diet but I'd listen to your own body and do what you think you could stick with and do forever. Just like you said, we didn't get the band because the Atkins diet works! It'll work for awhile but a lifetime success of it is very very rare.

I went for my 2nd fill like 3 weeks ago and my next one is next Monday. Here is the thing. I got on the scale and gained a few pounds since my first fill. Between the post op diet and through the first fill I lost around 17 pounds. So when I got on the scale the nurse seemed like he was sad and tried to make it sound like it can happen. The thing is I wasnt surprised I gained. But when the doctor came in he seemed real disappointed and told me I need to do better. I told him I was still hungry a lot. Then he told me I needed to eat better and snack on pickles and cucumbers. He is one of the doctors that want you to be on a high protien low carb diet which if that always worked I wouldn't have got the band. I always lost weight on those diets but couldnt keep it off cause I would eat carbs again. Here is the thing, I am not a patient person and my weight loss hasn't been as fast as I thought and I'm ok with that. I know that I haven't got to that "sweet spot" to were my band is tight enough. I can still gulp Water and Eat really anything. The only problem I seem to have is when I eat too fast I get some pain. I have a large band "15cc" and think its only filled to about 6cc. I wasn't discouraged untill he said that stuff to me. Tell you the truth I'm still not that discouraged because I know this band will help me. I really think after my 3rd fill I will do a lot better. I can eat what I ate before but I'm not as hungry as I was before. I think this next fill will result in restriction. I hope so. I don't think I have lost much but know I haven't gained any since my last fill but hope he doesn't come down on me hard again. As for the low carb high protien diet he wants me on I think that will work for me when I cant get as much food in. AND BEFORE ANYONE SAYS that I should follow the diet my doctor wants me on, I just want to remind people that I'm sure we were all on the Atkins diet and if we could stick to that we wouldn't be in the band chat. Like I said I think when I cant get as much food in I will be wanting to get all that protien in and will. I have done 1400 calorie diets before and lost as much as on Atkins. Thats what my goal really is so I can get a little of everything in my diet, Well these are always longer than I intend them to be and I hope I get some words of encouragement. Thanks

Oh thank god it's not just me!

I have been extremely frustrated with my band as well. You said it all. I just had my third fill this past Monday and I STILL feel the same. Do you feel frustrated that all of those foods that they told you you would never be able to eat again, you can eat with no problem? It's driving me crazy. I totally understand what you mean about the people that say "well just stick with the diet". If we were able to do that we wouldn't be here.

I feel like a drug addict needing a saline fix though. I was just there last monday and I feel the same so I'm calling tomorrow to get more. I was thinking about setting up an appointment with the dietician in the office though so she could sit down with me and write down a SPECIFIC meal plan for me for at least a week or two so I know for sure what I should be eating. I hate the meal plans they provide. They always have stuff that I don't eat.

I need to ask how big my band is. I know I have 6 1/3 cc. in it. Wish he would just fill the sucker up haha!

Good luck with your fill and hope it goes better for you!

My opinion is if you are going to continue to eat the same foods you ate before the band then get up off your seat and move, move, move! The band can't do it alone. Exercise is almost as important as what you eat, even if it consists of taking long walks. Sitting on your duff lowers your metabolism more than eating loads of carbs. I'm pretty happy with my band so far, I've had 2 fills for a total of 3cc's and I've lost 24.5 lbs in 3 months. I had the surgery mainly for forced Portion Control, not so much what I was eating, it was how much of it I was eating. I feel much better now and can hardly wait to lose the rest of the weight.

I'm having the band to reduce Portion Control as well. I know what I should be eating I just eat waaaay too much of it even if it is healthy food. What I would say I'd that yes, you should be able to try whatever you want to eat. But that's it. Two or three bites and be done. I have to say that although I don't believe in doctor shopping until you find one that tells you what you want to hear, you might want to find a different doctor for your fills. One that is perhaps more interested in helping you be the best you as opposed to being derogatory. I'm one of those people who never forgets that a physician is working for me, not the other way around. Also I agree that you need to move, move, move. There is no replacement for exercise.

re: "I am not a patient person "

Who is?

re: "The only problem I seem to have is when I eat too fast I get some pain. "

disagree.....when we over eat, at whatever speed it is, that is the problem

re: "I'm not as hungry as I was before."

great!!!

re: "restriction"

I my case at least....the opportunity to use my brain to direct my eating behavior was a new and painfully learned event.

I grew up (and OUT) actually training my ever-increasing appetite to gulp moreMoreMORE ever faster to increase my obesity by overeating nearly every meal. And still I couldn't eat enough to be "full".

"Sport eating" is one thing, but uncontrolled success at that produces Morbid Obesity. Here we are.

We have to learn the 'restriction' is in our minds, on our own eating behavior and what in we learn to choose to do. The pain of gulping food down will change to the pain of being stuck and slimming as PB'ing as the Os decreases.

We must embrace our new selves and help in our own reemergence. Once I recognized the metaphysical aspects of my overeating behavior, the discipline became easier. And even ~not-patient *I* my Royal Self~ have become far more patient in eating better.

cheers in your journey